Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a two 2p beginner games last night using the basic exploration scenario. Both games had a runaway leader issue (a different player each time) with the first player to upgrade his ship taking the game handily. Whenever there was a battle, the player with the ship would win. Both players seemed to be playing well and fairly evenly, keeping the decks thin through upgrading and the like. It is not like one guy was playing with a bunch of ensigns or something.

Also, some of the cards seemed a bit overpowered. One example is one that I think was called space bacteria or something like that. You only have to spend 6 xp to fulfill the card and you get the card for its points and can search the deck for a 25 point ship.

Anyone else have runaway leader problems or find the exploration deck a little fluky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House rule suggestion ... based on suggestions I have read before regarding this ... granted I haven't tried it yet but plan to the next time we play because I think there can be a problem with the first player to upgrade the flagship running away with the game ... Contrary to the rule in the rulebook, when a player's flagship is destroyed the player loses the upgraded flagship (it is removed from the game) and reaquires a starting flagship (the ones with the instructions on the back). See if that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Grantz
United States
Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
House rule suggestion ... based on suggestions I have read before regarding this ... granted I haven't tried it yet but plan to the next time we play because I think there can be a problem with the first player to upgrade the flagship running away with the game ... Contrary to the rule in the rulebook, when a player's flagship is destroyed the player loses the upgraded flagship (it is removed from the game) and reaquires a starting flagship (the ones with the instructions on the back). See if that works.

I used this house rule in the game I have played, more for a thematic purpose, but it did cause the first player who gained an upgraded ship to lose it a few turns later.

However, the second person to acquire an upgraded ship still ended up running away with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.