Subject: am i missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after playing the game a number of times, i am trying to decide if i should buy a few different AP for the game or just get the deluxe expansion instead.

so, what does the Khazad-dum expansion offer (other then cost savings), in comparison with a 3 x adventure pack combo of my own choosing from the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle? this is assuming i will not be playing the future Dwarrowdelf Cycle AP where this expansion is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
so, what does the Khazad-dum expansion offer (other then cost savings), in comparison with a 3 x adventure pack combo of my own choosing from the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle?

A lot more heroes (there is only one in each of the packs), for more variety in building your teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
+ if you are thinking of settling with this game you will need khazad-dûm anyway as it is mandatory for future releases. The other packs are not, so I would stick to the big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not true about more heroes. Khazad-dum is only coming with 2 heroes, so with 3 APs you'd get 3 heroes, plus more player cards and the same amount of new scenarios.

If you choose to go the AP route, Amazon was selling the Rhosgobel AP for about $4. Not sure if they still do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Khazad-dum yet, but it seems as very small addition comparing to already released chapter packs, not mentioning base game. This is what I'm going to review once I'll get that missing box.

Edit. Ok, it provides too few heroes and player cards, but relatively many new encounter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
You should not only worry about how many cards, but what cards. Some of the cards in the APs may be crucial to your play (I play solo, so the songs are very valuable indeed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winterfella wrote:
Not true about more heroes. Khazad-dum is only coming with 2 heroes, so with 3 APs you'd get 3 heroes, plus more player cards and the same amount of new scenarios.

I was under the impression that it was a second base set. How lame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the mix in this expansion. It's almost entirely new encounter cards. I prefer the player cards coming at this slower pace (with a higher likelihood of being balanced) than having a bunch of new "must these now omg" player cards printed in each big expansion.

It makes it much easier to skip an entire block if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabb Queen
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MRSP for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game the original core set is $10.00 more than The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm. So, really you shouldn't expect the big box expansion to have the same number of cards as the core set. The core set does have the threat counters as well, but in many business models they underprice an early element to get you to "try" it.

I, for one, amd fine with the way they are going about this. It is a co-op game and it needs the new encounter set cards to keep it fresh and new. Would you rather they put in a bunch of junk filler cards to pad out the deck construction options? When you play a CCG there are more cards, perhaps, but, depending on the game, lots of them are junk anyway. This actually might help stop the power creep from getting out of hand too quickly. My guess is this game will be around for awhile, it will just keep getting better as they release more card sets, but I am not in a rush.

When people say after they "figure out" how to beat the quest scenarios the game gets boring. I don't know ... you can always try different decks or sphere combinations. Or if you play with Gandalf(s), take them out etc. They are keeping up a pretty quick release schedule as it is. A new adventure pack every month, with 2 big box expansions planned a year is a lot of cards and game play options. Especially if you take into account the people, like ninjadorg creating their own quest scenarios for everyone.

To the OP: if you aren't playing Dwarrowdelf cycle, then unless you want specfic cards in the pack, well you might get more bang for you buck with the APs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
queen_mabb wrote:
I, for one, amd fine with the way they are going about this. It is a co-op game and it needs the new encounter set cards to keep it fresh and new.

Agree with this 100% - hard core deck builders may think that there aren't many options yet but personally I'm already agonising over which cards to include when we build our decks now. I'd be positively overwhelmed if there was suddenly a player card glut. The drip feed method is much better because the adventures themselves are what deliver the replayability anyway.

Also, thanks for the name check - actually thumbed your post before I got that far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VDmitry wrote:
I don't have Khazad-dum yet, but it seems as very small addition comparing to already released chapter packs, not mentioning base game. This is what I'm going to review once I'll get that missing box.

Edit. Ok, it provides too few heroes and player cards, but relatively many new encounter cards.

i look forward to your review, as i am still undecided what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
queen_mabb wrote:
The MRSP for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game the original core set is $10.00 more than The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm. So, really you shouldn't expect the big box expansion to have the same number of cards as the core set. The core set does have the threat counters as well, but in many business models they underprice an early element to get you to "try" it.

I, for one, amd fine with the way they are going about this. It is a co-op game and it needs the new encounter set cards to keep it fresh and new. Would you rather they put in a bunch of junk filler cards to pad out the deck construction options? When you play a CCG there are more cards, perhaps, but, depending on the game, lots of them are junk anyway. This actually might help stop the power creep from getting out of hand too quickly. My guess is this game will be around for awhile, it will just keep getting better as they release more card sets, but I am not in a rush.

When people say after they "figure out" how to beat the quest scenarios the game gets boring. I don't know ... you can always try different decks or sphere combinations. Or if you play with Gandalf(s), take them out etc. They are keeping up a pretty quick release schedule as it is. A new adventure pack every month, with 2 big box expansions planned a year is a lot of cards and game play options. Especially if you take into account the people, like ninjadorg creating their own quest scenarios for everyone.

To the OP: if you aren't playing Dwarrowdelf cycle, then unless you want specfic cards in the pack, well you might get more bang for you buck with the APs.

Mabb,

can you explain why you think i would get more bang for my buck when buying individual APs versus the Khazad-dum expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cocks
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if you've not purchased any APs then K-dum is the way to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make sure to get the AP that contains Dain Ironfoot if you are buying this expansion.

Dain is a super awsome hero in company of other Dwarfs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
You should not only worry about how many cards, but what cards. Some of the cards in the APs may be crucial to your play (I play solo, so the songs are very valuable indeed).

are the song cards only available in the AP? any specific AP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:

Different song cards in several of the APs. After all, they WANT you to buy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:

Different song cards in several of the APs. After all, they WANT you to buy them all.

ah, sorry i wasn't clear. i am looking for the specific song card - that allows a "player" from 1 sphere (i.e. Lore) to use their own resource tokens, to buy a card for a another "player's" sphere (i.e.tactics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 4 different songs that do that - for transfer of resources from different spheres. Each comes in a different AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
abe18 wrote:
ah, sorry i wasn't clear. i am looking for the specific song card - that allows a "player" from 1 sphere (i.e. Lore) to use their own resource tokens, to buy a card for a another "player's" sphere (i.e.tactics).

Songs are neutral Attachment cards.

Song of Kings - gain Leadership Resource Icon - Hunt for Gollum
Song of Wisdom - gain Lore Resource Icon - Conflict At The Carrock
Song of Travel - gain Spirit Resource Icon - The Hills of Emyn Muil
Song of Battle - gain Tactics Resource Icon - The Dead Marshes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
abe18 wrote:

Here are the "Song of ..." cards in the Lord of the Rings: The Card Game database. Each song (except the Song of Mocking, which is unrelated to this discussion) gives one hero the ability to spend his resources on cards of a specific sphere. Each appears in a different AP, so you'd have to buy all 4 APs to have all of the songs.

http://lotrlcg.com/searchBox.php?terms=song+of&Type=1&Sphere...

Edit: once again, ColtsFan76 has beat me to the buzzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you @ LSUtigers, ColtsFan76, mmoberly for your help.

i was afraid of this, that in order for me to get these cards i would have to buy 4 x AP.

i still have not decided whether to first buy the expansion or a few AP, but this leans me slightly towards getting the APs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
abe18 wrote:
thank you @ LSUtigers, ColtsFan76, mmoberly for your help.

i was afraid of this, that in order for me to get these cards i would have to buy 4 x AP.

i still have not decided whether to first buy the expansion or a few AP, but this leans me slightly towards getting the APs.

If you want to play a Lore deck and try songs for a start, then I suggest you try The Hunt For Gollum first, it has two advantages (as far as songs go):

1. It contains the Song for Leadership Resources, which would turn your Lore deck into Lore/Leadership (obviously) and this sphere combination is the most solid (aka "well rounded") sphere combination in my opinion.

2. It contains the Rivendell Minstrel, which allows you to search your deck for a Song card, which makes acquiring the right one (or any one) much more reliable. The presence of the Minstrel often leads me to build my decks with 3 Minstrels + 1 copy of necessary songs instead of multiple copies of the necessary songs. That offers more slots for other cards and the Minstrel is also a good ally on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.