Hide
6 Posts

Strike of the Eagle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Historical Event Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hall
msg tools
Can an Historical Event Card be used to confer the card's benefits to both fronts?

This question arose in a three player campaign game having one Polish player and two Russian players. The Polish player played card #36 as an Historical Event -- Polish Offensive. This card reads:

Polish Offensive - Add 1 point to your
front's Polish initiative. You may place an
additional 5 'Move Out' orders during this
Operation Phase and another 3 'Move Out' orders
during the next Operation Phase.

The card was played on the northern front. Of the five 'Move Out' orders, the Polish player placed three on the Northern Front and two on the Southern Front. On the next turn two of the three remaining 'Move Out' orders were placed on the southern front.

Rule 10.0 states that, "A player ... may not play Historical Event Cards designated for the other front." The Polish player reasoned that the Historcial Event of card #36 could apply to both fronts as the card does not contain a limitation for a particular front. Our Polish opponent draws support from the historical backdrop of many of the events depicted by the cards, which were not necessarily limited to a specific geographic location. Rather, the event would seem to apply "Army-wide" throughout both areas of operation. In this vein it should also noted that at least one card, Russian #13, specifically grants three reinforcement cubes to each front.

I am playing the Russian southern front. My personal view is that the game is designed around and played on geographically separate fronts to simulate command and control obstacles as such existed at the time, as well as to replicate personality conflicts which impacted both antogonists' war efforts. I believe this is supported by rules which divide the gameboard into two fronts (Rule 1.1); limit player control of forces solely to those blocks within the geographic confines of the front (Rules 1.1; 10.0); and provide that in two player games each player controls "both front commands" for a side, playing an order/reinforcement/Historical Event card for each front as well as placing two orders "per front" (Rule 10.1).

Although I disagree with my friend's reasoning, relying solely on the text of the rules I must conclude that his view is as valid as mine. I can not find any direct support in the rules to contradict him. If my interpretation of the rules is correct I make the following suggestion:

Strike of the Eagle is divided into two fronts. In
four player games, each player controls one front and
can only give orders to blocks for the front commanded
by that player. Similarly, a player may only utilise
cards as Order Modifiers, Reinforcements or Events within
the geographic confines of that player's front (unless the
card specifically states application to both fronts).
Events marked as "Northern Front Only" or "Southern Front
Only" can only be played by the player controlling the
indicated front. In two or three player games, a single
player may control both fronts for a combatant, but must
make separate order and card allocations for each front."

Any help is welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurt johnson
msg tools
Hi,

I am the Polish player in this war of words. Let me begin by saying that this is a great game. Academy Games continues to produce games that are well crafted both in look and concept.

Now on to the question at had. My worthy advicaries and best of friends have stated the case very admirably,but I thought I wuld make on point and suggest a solution.

The game is divided into fronts, but that does not negate the possabilityof events or actions taking place on the army level. In fact having some events impact both areas of operations adds flavor and realism to the game. The rules could however clarify when events are to be used army wide by simply stating - event card effects can only be used on the front in which they are played,unless otherwise stated in the description of the event.

Salute and thank you,

Kurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurt johnson
msg tools
Hi,

I am the Polish player in this war of words. Let me begin by saying that this is a great game. Academy Games continues to produce games that are well crafted both in look and concept.

Now on to the question at had. My worthy advicaries and best of friends have stated the case very admirably,but I thought I wuld make on point and suggest a solution.

The game is divided into fronts, but that does not negate the possabilityof events or actions taking place on the army level. In fact having some events impact both areas of operations adds flavor and realism to the game. The rules could however clarify when events are to be used army wide by simply stating - event card effects can only be used on the front in which they are played,unless otherwise stated in the description of the event.

Salute and thank you,

Kurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am certainly no expert yet but I have to agree with Michael on this one. North and South fronts are geographically different. I think the cards intent was that once a front is chosen, only that front gets the benefits from the event. Also how would you play it in a 3 or 4 player game where you had 2 players playing the Polish? I certainly wouldn't want my teammate issuing orders to my units.

Hopefully the designers will chime in though and give a concrete ruling.

-Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurt johnson
msg tools
Phil,

We are not experts at the game either, hence the confusion. I have come to the same conclusion as you regarding the intent of the card, but as a beginning player the intent was not clear at he time. If you look at the event discriptions as a whole some are front specific and some are army wide. In fact, having some of them singledout for use in only one front makes one wonder if the others could be used in both.

How the pool of orders would be used if distributed between fronts in a multi-player game: either by the ranking player (in the case of the Russians the Northern Commander) or the player that played the card.

Understandably in a game with new and inovative concepts, game designers cannot anticipate how every aspect of the game will be interpreted. Thankfully we have the www to resolve these little kunundrums.

Salute,

Kurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurt johnson
msg tools
Phil,

We are not experts at the game either, hence the confusion. I have come to the same conclusion as you regarding the intent of the card, but as a beginning player the intent was not clear at he time. If you look at the event discriptions as a whole some are front specific and some are army wide. In fact, having some of them singledout for use in only one front makes one wonder if the others could be used in both.

How the pool of orders would be used if distributed between fronts in a multi-player game: either by the ranking player (in the case of the Russians the Northern Commander) or the player that played the card.

Understandably in a game with new and inovative concepts, game designers cannot anticipate how every aspect of the game will be interpreted. Thankfully we have the www to resolve these little kunundrums.

Salute,

Kurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.