Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I'll be focussing on notable aspects of a little simulated experience of foraging for fish and survival in Antarctica called Hey, That's My Fish!. Plus, true to my other reviews, I'll throw in a little WAF for good measure to show how successful this has been in the Rock household.

Quality
Solid components in a tiny box (got the 3rd edition that measures 5 inches square). Card stock was well cut making punching the tiles easy. Hexagonal board pieces show basic art work for fish, and monochrome miniatures of penguins are cute. Most impressive part IMO is the small package this game comes in (if you're not careful, it can get easily fall behind your copy of Claustrophobia to never been seen again).

Game Play
Two major standouts for me were:
Set up time - Laying out the tiles is a little time consuming (was more so for us as we were playing this on a makeshift surface in bed while on vacation).
Fiddly - trying to pick up tiles without disrupting the neighboring pieces was at times a little cumbersome. For a game of this size/nature, it's par for the course.

WAF
For those who have seen some of my other reviews, Wife Approval Factor is important. Besides giving me another to play games with, it also empowers me to expand my collection without fear of scorn or disdain.

I like to think of this game it as a slick little package that can offer up a pinch of light strategy, dash of tactics and a drop of going for the jugular. My wife calls it "that pengin game." While I constantly aim to block or isolate my opponent's pieces and maximize my gains, she moves her penguins. I see an abstract game with a pasted on theme. She sees penguins.

I reckon that if she were to repeat in her head, BACK OFF, MISTER THAT'S MINE, the games would play differently. But as long as she's waddling her about, the game probably won't reach it's potential with just the two of us at the table.

Gotchas
No real gotchas - rules are short and straightforward and there is little room for misinterpretation.

Well, there's always the fact that it's not just a penguin game.

Conclusion
I enjoy playing penguins. I really do. I just want to play YOU'RE NOT GETTING THAT POISSON more. Perhaps it just not right for the two of us right now.

For people who are only looking for a light engagement, I imagine it will work just fine. For people who enjoy abstracts and like to get nasty, it will also work fine as soon as they look beyond the theme. For a mixed audience, your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this with 2P and 4P and have really enjoyed it every time (you play with less penguins as the # of players increases). My wife is ruthless in this game. She sees spatially far better than I and takes advantage of it.

Great game. Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:

Solid components in a tiny box. Card stock was well cut making punching the tiles easy. Hexagonal board pieces show basic art work for fish, and monochrome miniatures of penguins are cute. Most impressive part IMO is the small package this game comes in (if you're not careful, it can get easily fall behind your copy of Claustrophobia to never been seen again).

Which edition of the game do you have? I have the most recent deluxe edition. The box for this does not seem as compact as it could be. On the flip side, the component quality is very high for the deluxe version.

lajaro wrote:

Fiddly - trying to pick up tiles without disrupting the neighboring pieces was at times a little cumbersome. For a game of this size/nature, it's par for the course.

The setup time goes down if all players help setup the tiles. I usually build the alternate hexagonal setup with a hole in the middle. Also, if you leave some space between the tiles during setup, it makes picking them up a whole lot easier.

lajaro wrote:

I like to think of this game it as a slick little package that can offer up a pinch of light strategy, dash of tactics and a drop of going for the juggular, my wife calls it that pengin game. While I constantly aim to block or isolate my opponent's pieces and maximize my gains, she moves her penguins. I see an abstract game with a pasted on theme. She sees penguins.

Definitely an abstract. I have found that adults like this game more than kids do. The theme is childish, but the game is definitely an abstract exercise in tactics. I like the theme, but for some people who have a tough time getting serious about it, I tell them to imagine the Penguins are WWI soldiers and the fish are bunkers. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a new version out in a very small box. Pretty inexpensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I think there is a new version out in a very small box. Pretty inexpensive

Thanks for pointing out. To clarify, it is in fact the small 3rd Edition version I got (under $10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.