Subject: Dice Dissappointment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I was given this game for Christmas. I have passed it by on the shelf numerous times, but since it's here now, I got excited. But when I opened the box expecting 100+ beautiful dice, and was disappointed to find that 60 of them were micro d6 dice.

Anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Mather
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked this up at a Goodwill for $1.49, in a plastic bag...I was thrilled for all the dice, especially the micro-D6's...I use them for all kinds of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice disappointment was that my game didn't come with the d4s. I see them pictured on this site. My rule sheet doesn't even mention d4s.

Jighm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
I was given this game for Christmas. I have passed it by on the shelf numerous times, but since it's here now, I got excited. But when I opened the box expecting 100+ beautiful dice, and was disappointed to find that 60 of them were micro d6 dice.

Anyone else?

The only thing in this game thats more disappointing than the dice is the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is so disappointing about the gameplay? My daughter loves this game, my wife wants to play it and I am about to go pick up the Kids and Quickplay editions to round out the original game. It has a lot of variety, math, spelling, dexterity, silliness... It's simple enough in it's basic play that anyone can get in and have fun with it. Adding in the cards from the Quickplay edition adds another 100 activities and trivia questions, to help with the repetition after a few rounds with the base game (which was the only real complaint I Would have). I would love to buy extra expansions for it, and I may even get the Word Pirates game, since that also seems educational and fun.

Not to sound rude or imply, but I tend to see games like this scoffed at. At a local game store here where I live, the owner actually refers to these as "the Toys R Us games". He has (like a rude butthead) often told me not to bother trying to introduce my wife ("a woman", in his words) to games that I have purchased from his specialty store, that "Women like games from Walmart and Toys R Us". Bullcrap. My daughter loves ZOMBIES!!! and is 7 years old. She fully grasps that game and LOOOOVES it. She loves to play Zombie Fluxx. She loves regular board games, silly card games, superheroes, princesses, zombies, and monsters. And she loves this game. I hope that you are not disappointed in the gameplay because it's not some hardcore stat/number crunching game. I mean, the game was exactly what it advertised on the box, and my only real complaint was that the cards (and activities) started to repeat themselves after a few playthroughs, but with the purchase of the travel set for 10 bucks, that should be remedied.

EDIT: Once I get the Quickplay edition, and run through a few rounds next weekend, I'm going to post my own review of the base game. If I feel that the extra cards solve that problem, I'm going to give the game an 8 out of 10 and recommend the purchase of the Quickplay with it. For around 30 bucks, you can get both... for all those dice and a pretty fun family/friend game underneath, that's a pretty good deal. Throw in another 20, and you can add the Kid's edition into it as well. To me that's a pretty good value, considering most of these board games on here start at 40 bucks and go up from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
What is so disappointing about the gameplay? My daughter loves this game, my wife wants to play it and I am about to go pick up the Kids and Quickplay editions to round out the original game. It has a lot of variety, math, spelling, dexterity, silliness... It's simple enough in it's basic play that anyone can get in and have fun with it. Adding in the cards from the Quickplay edition adds another 100 activities and trivia questions, to help with the repetition after a few rounds with the base game (which was the only real complaint I Would have). I would love to buy extra expansions for it, and I may even get the Word Pirates game, since that also seems educational and fun.

Not to sound rude or imply, but I tend to see games like this scoffed at. At a local game store here where I live, the owner actually refers to these as "the Toys R Us games". He has (like a rude butthead) often told me not to bother trying to introduce my wife ("a woman", in his words) to games that I have purchased from his specialty store, that "Women like games from Walmart and Toys R Us". Bullcrap. My daughter loves ZOMBIES!!! and is 7 years old. She fully grasps that game and LOOOOVES it. She loves to play Zombie Fluxx. She loves regular board games, silly card games, superheroes, princesses, zombies, and monsters. And she loves this game. I hope that you are not disappointed in the gameplay because it's not some hardcore stat/number crunching game. I mean, the game was exactly what it advertised on the box, and my only real complaint was that the cards (and activities) started to repeat themselves after a few playthroughs, but with the purchase of the travel set for 10 bucks, that should be remedied.

EDIT: Once I get the Quickplay edition, and run through a few rounds next weekend, I'm going to post my own review of the base game. If I feel that the extra cards solve that problem, I'm going to give the game an 8 out of 10 and recommend the purchase of the Quickplay with it. For around 30 bucks, you can get both... for all those dice and a pretty fun family/friend game underneath, that's a pretty good deal. Throw in another 20, and you can add the Kid's edition into it as well. To me that's a pretty good value, considering most of these board games on here start at 40 bucks and go up from there.

My experience with this game is this:

My wife asked for this game for Christmas 2008, and I bought it for her. In one play with 6 players we had used all the cards in Actionland and ThinkingTown & it took 3 hours. We put it on the shelf. 5 months later we tried it again with 4 players, hoping that it would be a better game. It wasn't. Back on the shelf it went for 4 more months.

In September 2009 (nine months later) I bought another game at a thrift store that was missing some dice, so I used the dice from this game. My wife asked me to keep the dice and timer from this game to use for other games and throw out the rest of it.

It was that bad for both of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad game for a small group, but the replay-ability is very limited. Our group of five went through all the cards in one sitting. After that, it just plain wasn't that much fun.

I would love to see expansion cards produced. If not, then this one is most likely going to be a shelf-sitter for quite a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really wanted to like this game, but each section proved to have challenges that were difficult to overcome in a mixed group. In actionland, some of the physical challenges were difficult for the oldest players; thinkingland was better but still had some question that were obscure for younger players (Beatles songs, for example); and Triviaville was all over the place. Oh well, at least I have a lot of fun dice now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
mb
At a thrift it doesn't even need to be complete to be worth picking up. You'll have extra dice for anything you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.