Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read in several places that the first scenario in the book is unbalanced. Even Croc said that it was broken but I haven't been able to find any updated versions of the scenario.

Are there any other scenarios either in the book or in the files section that might be a good introduction for two new players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never read that the first scenario is unbalanced. In fact, I'm 99% sure everyone is going to suggest you play the 1st scenario first as it's probably the best.

That's my recommendation at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Unbalanced means a lot of different things to different people.

In my opinion, the first scenario is leaves a lot of the difficult decisions with the Humans. However, over time, this is the general theme of the game. Both sides are fun to play, but I'd say there is a little bit more going on with the Humans.

This means that poor Human play tends to be punished more.

The first scenario does a great job of introducing key concepts:

*how humans need to space properly to avoid easy incursions by the Demon player, but be too spaced and you get picked off.
*using the Redeemer's abilities well is critical
*understanding the mission: you can't save everyone .
*the Underground Hunter Demon is situational in power (you can't just run it out there).
*applying the right dice is important
*terrain effects are huge
*you can be one tile short with four Humans alive and still have hardly any chance of winning!

I'd play the first scenario every time as an introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unbalanced, sure, but definitely not broken--to use the terms interchangeably is, in my estimation, a gross error.
It's also absolutely the best place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you misunderstand the difference between balance and broken. I believe CROC did say the demon player has a higher chance of winning than the human player and this is by design. IIRC, he was going for a 55/45% split or close to. This does not mean it's broken at all.

The first scenario is a great place to start as it's a very straight-forward goal for both players and easy to start seeing strategies and experiment to see what works out best for both players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I located Croc's comment about the broken scenario. Upon a clearer reading I think that he was actually referring to the scenario "who dares, wins". He did use the word broken though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/569026/humans-a-little-under...

It sounds like everyone thinks that the first scenario is a good starter so we'll likely play that one first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definatley the first scenario. And you'll want to play it about 6 or 7 times ( I played it about 10) with different sides. It plays very differently every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I located Croc's comment about the broken scenario. Upon a clearer reading I think that he was actually referring to the scenario "who dares, wins". He did use the word broken though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/569026/humans-a-little-under...

It sounds like everyone thinks that the first scenario is a good starter so we'll likely play that one first.

The first scenario is the best to get the feel of the game. Which is : if you play the humans, you will suffer. And PERHAPS you will win.

Who dares win is indeed broken. Use the modified version !

Regards,

CROC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CROC wrote:

Who dares win is indeed broken. Use the modified version !

Regards,

CROC

Can I ask where exactly is this modified version CROC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
Can I ask where exactly is this modified version CROC?

In case someone still finds this incomplete thread as me.
It's here.
Anyway, my new English rulebook came already updated with this modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.