Popular Tags: [View All]
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

If a player is short of money during the upkeep payment, influence discs must be returned to the influence track. But must a player trade his/her science and/or materials (2 for 1 for Terrans) to make up the shortfall in his/her money, if he/she can? Or is this at his/her own discretion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At their own discretion, although I have seen a number of people stating that they play it otherwise to minimize 'tactical bankruptcy'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
At their own discretion, although I have seen a number of people stating that they play it otherwise to minimize 'tactical bankruptcy'...

And bankruptcy is designed to be used tactically!
For most people the name bankruptcy has a very negative connotation, and the mechanism here is not that negative for the player... but it is really designed this way. Perhaps the name bankruptcy is not chosen too well for this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Camelorn wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

For most people the name bankruptcy has a very negative connotation, and the mechanism here is not that negative for the player... but it is really designed this way. Perhaps the name bankruptcy is not chosen too well for this...

Well, why not? Look at the EURO. It seems that some countries have similar strategies ;-) Anyway, the rule is that if you are threatened by bankrupcy you move influence discs. As long as you can afford the upkeep afterwards you're not bankrupt! So I think the wording is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
Camelorn wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Perhaps Money should have been called Infrastructure and Bankruptcy should have been called Restructuring?

The mechanism is about avoiding bankruptcy, not going bankrupt. Read the rulebook again, you'll see there is no name actually given to it. If you truly go bankrupt, you're eliminated from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I think that if something should be renamed, it should be Money into Wealth. I feel uncomfortable with two resources both starting with the letter M.

(Plus, people in my play group seem to get Materials and Money mixed up all the time when they're talking. "I'm going to build a dreadnought by paying eight money" - "you mean 8 materials" - "yes, of course"... this way I wouldn't mind people calling materials as money, since they both start with M and are used to pay for things, whereas Wealth is more associated to me with an overall governmental commerce ability, giving mind to the upkeep and income mechanic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
taggedjc wrote:
Personally, I think that if something should be renamed, it should be Money into Wealth. I feel uncomfortable with two resources both starting with the letter M.

(Plus, people in my play group seem to get Materials and Money mixed up all the time when they're talking. "I'm going to build a dreadnought by paying eight money" - "you mean 8 materials" - "yes, of course"... this way I wouldn't mind people calling materials as money, since they both start with M and are used to pay for things, whereas Wealth is more associated to me with an overall governmental commerce ability, giving mind to the upkeep and income mechanic)

I've never been a fan of the term Money either.. it just sounds so mundane as a resource name. I suggested Wealth, Affluence, Credits, Energy, Finance... but when playing, everyone was always talking about Money in any case and the designers felt it was the most descriptive term. They're probably right.

In the end it's just a term. It has no real significance. People can call it whatever they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
... but when playing, everyone was always talking about Money in any case

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
If a player is short of money during the upkeep payment, influence discs must be returned to the influence track. But must a player trade his/her science and/or materials (2 for 1 for Terrans) to make up the shortfall in his/her money, if he/she can? Or is this at his/her own discretion?
mfaulk80 wrote:

I'm looking for "how to" clarification when trading science and/or materials resources to make up for a shortfall of money resources to complete an upkeep payment.

Do we move cubes from one track to the other? This is what we've tried but ended up confused about how to handle the exchange rate (e.g. 2:1, what do we do with the extra cube?). After reading the various forums it sounds like perhaps we instead should have adjusted our storage tracker makers in accordance with the exchange rate, which honestly we never considered. Clarification and/or an example to illustrate would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
bkunes wrote:
After reading the various forums it sounds like perhaps we instead should have adjusted our storage tracker makers in accordance with the exchange rate, which honestly we never considered. Clarification and/or an example to illustrate would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's exactly what you should be doing - adjusting the storage markers. Those markers tell you how much of each resource you have at any given moment. You can exchange them at the rate that your race allows (which is on the sheet, and shows the hexagonal markers that are used for the storage tracks).

Don't mess with the population cubes unless you're putting them into population areas. They have nothing to do with trading materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
???

You don't move anything from one track to another. You just move your storage trackers. If you play with terrans for example move your science tracker 2 fields back and your money tracker 1 field forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, guys. It is embarrasing that none of us even thought of that for some reason when in the heat of the situation with the end game unfolding. Now it seems ridiculously obvious.

shake Appreciate the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.