Subject: Next heavy euro? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally Vinhos is great. Not sure on its availability.

It takes a while to get through the rules, but plays in under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes - received this for Christmas and am still getting to grips with the rules, but it looks fantastic and is highly rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is excellent.

Navegador and Age of Empires III are also very good, though not as heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
surmik
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is not that heavy. Vinhos will be a good one.
Maybe Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization? For four players it could be even 4h but it's a very nice, heavy game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard Vinhos is good, but it maybe hard to find. Limited distribution to the US. I say go with Brass. Can't go wrong.

Further recommendations..

Homesteaders,
Macao,
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading your post, I was going to say Brass, not realizing it's OOP.

What about London, Navegador, or Upon a Salty Ocean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Those are some pretty fantastic games you listed. I guess I would recomment something like Navegador (which has been suggested by others in this thread) or Belfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Martin Wallace fan I like Brass a little better than Age of Industry. That being said... Age is still an excellent game. Neither are that difficult if you play Agricola, Le Havre, Puerto Rico, Dominant Species....Brass or Age should be no problem.

Other games:

+1 Navegador (Love the Rondel~!)

Urban Sprawl I really enjoy this game.

Automobile Another Wallace offering that is excellent. It is not hard to learn and a five player game can be played in two hours.

Rails of New England A great economic game. Has some mechanics similar to Powergrid. The rules can be tough to follow, but there is an excellent FAQ here:

Unofficial Rails of New England Asked Questions

Hope this helps. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRakeman wrote:
Another question, is Brass really THAT much more difficult than all those other games I listed?

No, not at all. The complexity is totally overstated. The rulebook isn't brilliant, but if you've learned all those games you mentioned you'll have no problem.

Quote:
If Brass is really that much better than Age of Industry, it may be worth looking to the second hand market.

If you've never played Brass, AoI is probably fine. But IMO Brass is the superior experience and well worth tracking down a copy of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will jump on the Brass band wagon. It is an excellent game. Full of tough decision's and a very rewarding experience. Age of Industry gets a lot of hate here on the geek because every one compares it to Brass. Yes, it's similar, of course it is. Martin is known to do that with his games. AOI is a re-imagining of the game and was also made to be a little easier and expandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Railways of the World and Steam reference is not too far off. When Martin wrote Railroad Tycoon now Railways of the World, he took mechanics from Age of Steam and designed a new game. I like RRT because it feels more like a race for the big connections and first deliveries to certain cities. In Age of steam or steam you don't really see that. I recommend both games. If you ever buy Steam though, I highly recommend the stock market variant of Steam Barons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you consider what you've already got to be "heavy"? I'm trying to get a feel if you want something that's a step up or in the same weight division of those you listed.

If you want something in the same classification, I'd say Troyes. It's brilliant. And packs a lot of very interesting, meaningful decisions into a relatively short time frame. It's been my go-to gamers' game for several months now and it doesn't seem to be getting old at all.

If you want a step up from the complexity of those you already have, I'd say it's going to be tough to find one that plays in under two hours. For a true heavier experience, you're going to have to commit to a longer time frame. And in that case, you should definitely go with Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization since you don't have a civ game yet.

Since I brought up the fact that you don't have a grand-strategy/civ/empire-building/conquest game, perhaps you would consider the all-the-rage option of Eclipse. I'm not sure if it's going to be Euro enough for you, but it's definitely worth a look-see.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have tons of Euro fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Skip Through the Ages. Game for wimpy wusses.

Play Origins: How We Became Human Much better game, and a total brainburner.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
+1 Automobile - especially if you can round up 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Try Glen More. Not outrageously heavy, but has all sorts of interesting, compound decisions brought together in an inexpensive and quick to play package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Florenza is pretty heavy... more or less as heavy as Vinhos and Dominant Species.

You might also check out Shipyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
DigitalMan wrote:
Florenza is pretty heavy... more or less as heavy as Vinhos and Dominant Species.

You might also check out Shipyard.

+1 Shipyard.

I haven't gotten Florenza out in a while, because the tiles make me want to scream with the tiny print. Oh well. It's a good game despite that issue. If only my reading glasses were X10 stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll hop on the Brass bandwagon and also note that you can try the game online at http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/index.php if that helps.

Another suggestion is Poseidon, which is a light 18XX game and weight-wise feels about the same as the sort of heavy euros that you listed. Good game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.