Hide
25 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quantum Datahub Node rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natfka Loric
msg tools
Just got the expansion and running into an issue with this ability.

It says
At the end of the status phase, you may trade one of your strategy cards with a strategy card belonging to one of your trade partners. The other player does not need to agree to this trade.

Two questions... What purpose would trading strategy cards do at the end of the status phase. Do they mean action cards? I checked the erratas and did not see it. If there is a correction, can someone please tell me where it is.

Second.
If it is strategy cards that you get to trade? how is this done?. Do you pick a card randomly to possibly trade, or do you get to look at them? How does this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilight%20Imp...

The player with the tech essentially has the option of forcing a trade during the Strategy Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natfka Loric
msg tools
Thanks, one question remaining though.

It still says at the "end" of the strategy phase. Does this mean end of of the entire phase, or at any point at the end of an action in the phase.

I am assuming you can also trade away your strategy card after playing it, resulting in getting two primary actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Natfka wrote:
Thanks, one question remaining though.

It still says at the "end" of the strategy phase. Does this mean end of of the entire phase, or at any point at the end of an action in the phase.

I am assuming you can also trade away your strategy card after playing it, resulting in getting two primary actions?

There are 3 phases in each round:

- Strategy Phase
- Action Phase
- Status Phase

The Strategy Phase is the phase where you pick Strategy Cards. It ends once all players have picked a card, and all players have had one final chance to play any effect that happens during the Strategy Phase. Thus, Quantum Datahub Node would be used after all players pick their cards, but before anyone takes an action.

Once players start taking actions, you've moved onto the Action Phase. So you won't be able to use your own card and then switch to use another card, as you don't USE your cards until the Action Phase (by using a "Strategic Action").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
The end result of the wording is that you can take a Strategy card, receive its bonus counters, then shirk it off on your trade partner and take theirs. It's fairly powerful, but not broken.

Since this happens at the end of the Strategy phase, you will not get a chance to use it during the Tactical Phase. It's net effect is that it gives you more chances to get the card you want, or to skim some bonus counters and then get the card you really wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natfka Loric
msg tools
Thanks for the answers. Helped a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
IncrediSteve wrote:
The end result of the wording is that you can take a Strategy card, receive its bonus counters, then shirk it off on your trade partner and take theirs. It's fairly powerful, but not broken.

Since this happens at the end of the Strategy phase, you will not get a chance to use it during the Tactical Phase. It's net effect is that it gives you more chances to get the card you want, or to skim some bonus counters and then get the card you really wanted.

This is not correct! Please check errata again!

"Race-Specific Technology Card: Quantum
Datahub Node
The use of Status Phase should be replaced with the words
Strategy Phase."

I'm not sure what you are saying is incorrect; the FAQ you quote says the same thing about the change as IncrediSteve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

The use of Status Phase should be replaced with the words
Strategy Phase."
I'm not sure what you are saying is incorrect; the FAQ you quote says the same thing about the change as IncrediSteve.

Hehe... My bad. Was reading earlier replies that still had status phase in it - so got impression that still referring to status phase
I know you will always come and fix whatever is wrong in rules section anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:

I'm not sure about skimming off the counters. There's nothing in the rules to clarify it, but Strategic Flexibility works in a similar way and you do not have the chance to take bonus counters when playing that card.

Even if you can, it's a very situational Tech and I doubt I'll ever see it in play with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:
IncrediSteve wrote:

I'm not sure about skimming off the counters. There's nothing in the rules to clarify it, but Strategic Flexibility works in a similar way and you do not have the chance to take bonus counters when playing that card.

Strategic Flexibility is a LITTLE similar, but not quite - with that one, you are putting a Strategy card back to the general pool, and the purpose of the ruling you mention was partly to avoid a player getting TWO sets of bonus counters. (IE, if cards A and B had bonus, and the player takes A, then uses Strategic Flexibility, without the ruling the player would get A and B's bonus counters. This isn't possible with Quantum Datahub Nodes, since the other player would have received the other set of Bonus counters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bigger the number of players, the better this tech can be. If you're late in the initiative order when selecting, you can trade out your useless diplomacy for technology or warfare or whatever.

You can also use it to deny someone on your left a certain card like initiative or diplomacy to keep him from protecting key systems and then switch it out with someone else to take something you actually want to use.

However, this might make players wary of trading with you. Good thing your contracts are ironclad.

That being said, I would only rarely consider buying this tech for it's RAW price unless I was sure I could grab imperial/bureaucracy at a crucial time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Couchon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
With this tech, does this mean the Hacans can receive the imperial strategy card at the next strategy phase because they trade the initiative during the status phase the round before, and continuing to use the same tech to get it again the round after that?
Where my question is ultimately goins is, can this tech allow a Hacan player to keep getting the imperial card and two victory points back to back since you're not permitted to have the imperial or speaker card for two rounds in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Willster76 wrote:
With this tech, does this mean the Hacans can receive the imperial strategy card at the next strategy phase because they trade the initiative during the status phase the round before, and continuing to use the same tech to get it again the round after that?
Where my question is ultimately goins is, can this tech allow a Hacan player to keep getting the imperial card and two victory points back to back since you're not permitted to have the imperial or speaker card for two rounds in a row.

You are not allowed to pick the cards twice but this tech allows them to take it from another so they did pick a different strategy card and then used the tech to force a trade so it is fine to do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Armentia
Spain
flag msg tools
Willster76 wrote:

I think this limitation is bound by the speaker/initiatve card only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertcop2 wrote:
Willster76 wrote:

It does only apply to initiative, but not really due to the speaker token itself. The card just says "You may not select the Initiative Strategy during the next Strategy Phase."

So if you took Initiative in Round 1, nobody took it in Round 2 (yeah right), you could take it again in Round 3, even though you still have the Speaker token.

But there isn't anything from preventing a player from taking Imperial time after time in terms of rules, it just happens because the other players would typically take it before they get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Couchon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help with that issue. I have a few more questions that don't relate to this feed if you don't find trying to answer them.
1. How many heros may be on one ship?
2. There are several instances where you a directed from either action cards, special techs or even the settlers distant sun to place ground forces on a neutral planet. Whenever this happenes, do you aquire the planet, are they there waiting to be picked up and the planet is still neutral or is different for each scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willster76 wrote:
Thanks for the help with that issue. I have a few more questions that don't relate to this feed if you don't find trying to answer them.
1. How many heros may be on one ship?

There is no limit to the number of Leaders carried by a ship, although if that ship dies, you could lose them (you roll for each separately).

Quote:
2. There are several instances where you a directed from either action cards, special techs or even the settlers distant sun to place ground forces on a neutral planet. Whenever this happenes, do you aquire the planet, are they there waiting to be picked up and the planet is still neutral or is different for each scenario?

If you place ground forces on a planet, whoever's ground forces those are immediate takes control of the planet (exhausted, unless they have Nanotech).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
robertcop2 wrote:
Willster76 wrote:

It does only apply to initiative, but not really due to the speaker token itself. The card just says "You may not select the Initiative Strategy during the next Strategy Phase."

So if you took Initiative in Round 1, nobody took it in Round 2 (yeah right), you could take it again in Round 3, even though you still have the Speaker token.

But there isn't anything from preventing a player from taking Imperial time after time in terms of rules, it just happens because the other players would typically take it before they get it.

Did I got this right? Hacan would gain 2 points per turn until the game ends in 4 or less rounds?

Playing as Hacan I take technology (7) in round 1, then trade every round until the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
Did I got this right? Hacan would gain 2 points per turn until the game ends in 4 or less rounds?

Playing as Hacan I take technology (7) in round 1, then trade every round until the end?

Even the Hacan can only have 2 trade partners at a time. If neither of them takes the Imperial card, then Hacan can't steal it. Also, if Hacan buys the Datahub Node on turn 1, you can bet he's going to have a difficult time getting people to trade with him. Furthermore, although other players cannot willingly break an existing trade agreement with Hacan, they can attack him, forcing the agreement to be broken. Like all things in TI3, there are multiple ways to get around Quantum Datahub Node. That's why it's such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

Even the Hacan can only have 2 trade partners at a time. If neither of them takes the Imperial card, then Hacan can't steal it. Also, if Hacan buys the Datahub Node on turn 1, you can bet he's going to have a difficult time getting people to trade with him. Furthermore, although other players cannot willingly break an existing trade agreement with Hacan, they can attack him, forcing the agreement to be broken. Like all things in TI3, there are multiple ways to get around Quantum Datahub Node. That's why it's such a great game.

But for people that like the imperial startegy card it makes the game a LOT painful for the player that get his "turn to get 2 points" stole from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
But for people that like the imperial startegy card it makes the game a LOT painful for the player that get his "turn to get 2 points" stole from him.

That's true, but do you actually know people who prefer to play with Imperial? I'm kind of a rebel because I prefer Imperial II over Bureaucracy. Almost no one who owns Shattered Empire plays with Imperial after a couple of games.

In any case, I don't know how many times I've seen someone win or lose TI3 based on the final Strategy Card they chose/got stuck with. It happens almost every game. Any SC choice is extremely important, which is why QDN is a good tech. It's not broken, however, as it has many limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have ALL the expansions, the one we have don't have a cool replacement for the 8.

And I actually like Imperial, as it works as a kind of game clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:

The player with the tech essentially has the option of forcing a trade during the Strategy Phase.

Link is broken. Here is new link:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/48/25...

The pertinent information is at the bottom of page 11:
Race-Specific Technology Card: Quantum Datahub Node
The use of Status Phase should be replaced with the words Strategy Phase.

It still fails to address the bizarre wording, 'one of you strategy cards,' which makes no sense whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave Sir Robin wrote:

It still fails to address the bizarre wording, 'one of you strategy cards,' which makes no sense whatsoever.

You might have more then 1 if you are playing a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Brave Sir Robin wrote:

You might have more then 1 if you are playing a 4 player game.

Ah, yes, that would do it, wouldn't it? *derp*

(Of course, I've never played it 4-player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.