Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've reviewed what appears to be an updated set of rules - v3.6 - for playing all of the units and expansions together. However, the update does not talk about the disbursement of the Private Companies at the start of the game. Are the players allowed to decide what to buy, or are they, as in the original rules, randomly dealt and paid for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the rules in front of me, but I will list what I can recall.

Only use 1 private company per price point. Use a number of private companies sufficient that each player gets one. In ascending order, the available private companies are assigned to players. This is a mandatory purchase. If there are more players than private companies, the Director's share of the LNWR is assigned as the next item, and then individual shares of the LNWR after that.

I think that's it. Enjoy your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Where would one find that ruleset? Given that I have all that stuff, they would come in very handy. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tykemalcolm wrote:
I've reviewed what appears to be an updated set of rules - v3.6 - for playing all of the units and expansions together. However, the update does not talk about the disbursement of the Private Companies at the start of the game. Are the players allowed to decide what to buy, or are they, as in the original rules, randomly dealt and paid for?

The latest official rules that I'm aware of are on Keith Thomasson's site: http://www.fwtwr.com/18xx/1825_combined.htm . Where did you find your rules?

You might also be interested in my 1825 web pages. If you start at http://www.daveberry33.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1825/combining_u... you'll see the rules from Keith's page with a couple of further clarifications from his descriptions of the game kits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks - I appreciate the help.
I got v3.6 of the rules from here under the "1825 Unit 1" Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When 'we' (the DWG 18xx-gamer subset) play 1825: The World (well the bit of the world that matters whistle ) I deal out the starting packet: 6 private companies (one of each value), LNWR Director's share plus as many ordinary LNWR single-shares as needed and the players draw a number (randomly) and take the appropriate starting package.

If you play with more than 8 players I would strongly recommend not dropping the start-up cash per player below £290 each. I realise that this means that the starting capital increases with 9, 10, 11 players, but, it makes it reasonably certain that both the LNWR and the GWR float in the first Stock Dealing Round. I can publish the Excel spreadsheet shewing my financial modelling if you wish.

We play 1825: The World, on average, once a year with an unlimited bank but playing to a time limit or a share price hitting the maximum as the game end condition. [It is designed as a social occasion with wine, etc. rather than as a pure hard-core gaming session!] In practice we generally draw stumps at around 18.00/19.00 (having started with the first 'voluntary' purchase at 10.00) and are close to both: a company achieving the maximum share price, and, a bank composed of the total of money in all three units breaking, at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank's Charlie, I can appreciate the sentiment about the bit of the world that matters - I'm a Yorkshireman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dave, thanks for extra info. However, I did notice that one of the links is broken - it is a variant for stopping one of the comapnies getting 2 cheap routes into London. Can you give me details on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tykemalcolm wrote:
Dave, thanks for extra info. However, I did notice that one of the links is broken - it is a variant for stopping one of the comapnies getting 2 cheap routes into London. Can you give me details on that?

Hi Malcolm, sorry about the broken link. It should be fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Dave, got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.