United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be running a 10-game campaign, starting next week. Looking through the rules, I had a few 'house rule' ideas:

1) No sabotage (and thus no guards) for the first race. This was to get started quickly (not scaring away some of my less rule-oriented players) and to try to get people to eventually sabotage the winning players (avoid grudges from day 1).

2) Horse upgrades. The rules seem to contradict themselves, saying that you can only buy horses in a group of four, yet saying you can only buy horses as replacements. Again, in the interests of complexity reduction, I think I will go with you can only buy replacement horses.

3) Damaged drivers and horses; the rules don't seem to allow replacing damaged drivers and horses, you have to let them heal. This could mean a long stay on the sideline with heavy damage (theoretically 6 races with a badly damaged good horse). I think my house rule would be that you can 'retire' a badly damaged horse/driver and get a replacement right away (with the appropriate penalty from the rules).

4) End of Race; since only the first four positions have meaning, I think I will implement a 'put down your whips' rule once 4th place is established. Since the long-term health of your horses and drivers matter, I think it is best to skip the end-of-race bashing for glory.

5) Betting; while everyone has 10,000 bucks to start, no one has an idea of how long this lasts. To avoid early bankruptcies, I think I will limit 1st race gambling to 1,000 bucks max.

6) Number of Players; what to do when you have less than 8 players for a given session? Do you race one of their chariots on 'auto-pilot', or let someone else have more than one faction chariot in? The rules say a given faction can have more than one chariot, but this seems like a big advantage, say if you have 6 players and two of them get a 2nd chariot in the mix. I think I would allow a 2nd chariot, but only if they didn't have a 2nd chariot in the last race.

#7) Pre-built chariots; I am thinking about using the same distribution of prep points between each faction's chariots:

+2 driver, light car, medium team, medium endurance.

+1 driver, light car, fast team, medium endurance.

+0 driver, light car, fast team, high endurance.

+1 driver, normal car, medium team, medium endurance.

+1 driver, heavy car, medium team, low endurance.

The idea here is to cut back some on the heavy-car bruiser menality. Campaign-wise, I don't think heavy cars are a winning strategy, so anyone picking a bunch of them is just going to cause havoc without having a chance to win. Okay for a one-off race, but not good for a 10-game marathon.

Anyone have some experience with running the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the 10-race campaign from the rules, though I grew up hearing about the epic season my friends ran in high school; however, I did keep ongoing stables for each faction for my convention setup, and awarded experience for those rare drivers that survived.

Based on their stories, I think all your house rules would work fine except #3. Dealing with injuries should be a big part of the campaign, forcing players to be both more careful during a race, and making the tough calls about putting in injured or poor backbenchers.

Also, regarding the last item — if we were running a whole campaign, I'd WANT to roll up all my own teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
>The idea here is to cut back some on the heavy-car bruiser mentality.

One thing I recall clearly from their campaign stories is that a couple of winning drivers became runaway successes — literally. By the end of 10 races at least 1 team had a normal team speed of 28 and could not be caught after the first few game turns. You may want to encourage the bruiser mentality just a little :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jape77 wrote:

One thing I recall clearly from their campaign stories is that a couple of winning drivers became runaway successes — literally. By the end of 10 races at least 1 team had a normal team speed of 28 and could not be caught after the first few game turns. You may want to encourage the bruiser mentality just a little

it's a circuit, there are at least 2 chances for the heavy interceptors to have a shot as the 'fast' team goes past. People I know would form a queue to batter them down..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Jape77 wrote:
By the end of 10 races at least 1 team had a normal team speed of 28 and could not be caught after the first few game turns.

Of course you need to make it past the first few game turns.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/666566/two-hours-to-set-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:
2) Horse upgrades. The rules seem to contradict themselves, saying that you can only buy horses in a group of four, yet saying you can only buy horses as replacements. Again, in the interests of complexity reduction, I think I will go with you can only buy replacement horses.

IIRC, you can either buy replacement horse (for those killed in races) or replacement teams for your stable. In other words, you could only have sets of 4 horses, not extras to swap in for injured horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:

5) Betting; while everyone has 10,000 bucks to start, no one has an idea of how long this lasts. To avoid early bankruptcies, I think I will limit 1st race gambling to 1,000 bucks max.

Anyone have some experience with running the campaign?

I seem to remember a problem which had to do by the way money was distributed. Since the team which had bid the most got the money it won before others, and there was not neccesarily enough money for all winners, the system encoraged large bids. And since everyone got all their money at start, the bids in first race got really high, and the team who won the first race got so rich that they had already won the campaign.

Limiting betting in first race is probably a good ide, but probably not enough to fix that problem. I think I would limit bidding also in later races, maybe rasing the limit in each race.

(Delaying giving players some of the money to later races (insrtread of giving them everything at start) could probably also work to fix this problem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback. I guess I will let the players design chariots and roll them up, rather than force everyone to be the same.

Regarding speed 28 super-chariots, I would think some the campaign mechanics would handle this, assuming some of the players are being rational.

Assuming one chariot does very well and gains alot of experience, you would think it would be public enemy #1, and no single chariot can avoid everyone. Also, the chariot would be the target of everyone's sabotage attempts. Finally, a super-fast chariot would be the obvious bet for everyone, and the pay-out odds would stink.

Of course, I will see this for myself soon, I could be completely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I hadn't thought of the break-the-bank mechanic allowing a first-game win.

My bigger concern was some of my optimistic club members betting everything on the first race and then crashing in the 1st turn by going 6 over the limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.