Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Anderson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the purposes of replacing non-air support pieces, what counts as "owning" a village? Do the Allies own Algeria and the Axis Tunisia? In addition, what are the "Airbase Captured" tokens for? I'm not seeing how you capture an airbase, apart from actually having a piece on it, in which case a separate token shouldn't be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have assumed that capturing an airbase ansvillage is just like any other game in which the last to pass through controls the hex - hence the marker. In relation to the ports (only) which are both victory locations and airfields, the Allies must occupy them to count as controlled for victory purposes, but I am guessing that if vacated, the airfield still belongs to teh last side that occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is defending mandatory? I.e. a "counter-attack" The rules say a defending unit is "eligible" to conduct a defense. But then they say attacks and defenses are simultaneous.

Just seems a little ambiguous whether an attacked unit is required to counter-attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Control of villages and airfields

I agree with Norman's answers. I also think that a "village he owns" is a village controlled by the player at the beginning of the game. And I suppose that the airfield control markers are used the way he has explained. But it would be great to hear the designer's clarification...

Quote:
Is defending mandatory? I.e. a "counter-attack" The rules say a defending unit is "eligible" to conduct a defense. But then they say attacks and defenses are simultaneous.

I would say "yes". Counterattacking is always good, so it would not make sense to avoid that option if it would be optional.

My questions:

- Breakthrough: Do you have to use the breakthrough (advance-move-attack-advance) immediately after the attack is resolved, or can you wait until other combats are resolved? I guess that you must apply the breakthrough immediately, but I would like to hear your answer.

- Breakthrough: What happens if you eliminate the defending enemy but you also suffer a loss, your unit is also eliminated but there remains one or two attacking assets? Could they use the breakthrough?

Thanks in advance.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification about counter attacks.

Are air support markers limited to their supporting their own nationality or may they support any friendly unit within range? For example British support for Americans or German support for Italians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerGruppe wrote:
Are air support markers limited to their supporting their own nationality or may they support any friendly unit within range? For example British support for Americans or German support for Italians?

Air support markers may support any friendly unit of any nationality within range.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakthrough attacks
The rules as written are a little ambiguous. I would apply the Breakthrough Attack immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Order of Battle
The American 2nd Armored and 3rd Infantry Divisions did not participate in the campaign directly. Their troops and equipment were stripped and used to rebuild American units. To reflect this I think these units should be removed and the American player allowed double replacements for four turns. The extra replacement can only be used to rebuild U.S. ground units OR convert a battle group to a half-strength eliminated U.S. ground unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Games is proposing a sequel: "Patton's Second Victory" which would cover the invasion of Sicily. Hope they produce it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanzerGruppe wrote:

Just seems a little ambiguous whether an attacked unit is required to counter-attack.

I don't think that "counter-attack" is the best way to think of the defense. It's simply the effect of defensive fires on the attacker. Note that no terrain effects apply, so the defensive fire favors the defender (as defense should, generally, be stronger than the attack). As the defender cannot be reduced by conducting the defense (just as the attacker cannot be reduced by the attack) and a successful defense means that the unit doesn't have to retreat (even if the attack was successful), I can't imagine why one wouldn't conduct the defense.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.