Cory C
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
100% FUN
mbmbmbmbmb

Lowest bidder moves their icons to the lowest position on all 3 tracks.

Others, in turn order, move an icon on either the Fiefdom or King's court to the lowest position.

Which is resolved first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the logic of these cards, it must be all others first and then the lowest bidder last. It doesn't make sense that other bidders get the last place instead of the lowest (which would happen if you'd follow the card reading top to bottom).

However the rules aren't really explicit about this case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've played it by the order written on the cards
ie. move the lowest bidder to the bottom of the tracks first, then in turn order everyone selects where they will end up bottom of (fiefdoms or king's court). This still punishes the player who bids lowest (being guarenteed bottom of Iron Throne and near bottom on both the others after resolutions).

I think if it was the other way around it would hardly punish the other players at all (knowing that theyd all move up one at the end anyway), while being way too bad for the lowest bidder..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk James
msg tools
I agree with alex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Combs
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
In our group we did it the same way as Alex.

I agree with the rules not being explicit regarding this (and other minor stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for the official response and this is what I got:

FFG Support wrote:
The lowest bidder always resolves his penalty first, followed by everyone else.

So you guys are right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek K
Poland
flag msg tools
We've recently played a game where Lannister was already at the bottom of Iron Throne and Fiefdom tracks and in the middle of King's Court track, when we had to fight the Wildlings.

Lannister didn't add any token, as he was saving them for bidding later on, we've lost against Wildlings and then...
Lannister (lowest bidder) moved his one marker to the bottom of the third track (as two were already at the last places) and other players (everyone else) had to move their markers to the bottom of Fiefdom or King's Court track.

In the end result Lannister was not punished at all, and actually gained an improvement of the situation comparing to his initial position on tracks, whereaes other players who at least tried to fight Wildlings were punished harder.

Did you have such situation in your games? Did we do something wrong or is this rule just not working well in certain situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manekk wrote:

In the end result Lannister was not punished at all, and actually gained an improvement of the situation comparing to his initial position on tracks, whereaes other players who at least tried to fight Wildlings were punished harder.

Did you have such situation in your games? Did we do something wrong or is this rule just not working well in certain situations?

That's why I thought it was wrong. But it seems the rule sometimes benefits the lowest bidders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghosthack wrote:
manekk wrote:

That's why I thought it was wrong. But it seems the rule sometimes benefits the lowest bidders.

In some situations you may want to lose with Wildlings and maybe even be the lowest bidder. It happens not only with King beyond the Wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I did just that in a 9 player game we played on the weekend. I bid 1 to not be the lowest (person had 0) so that they would lose 4 muster points worth of units so that I could make my final push for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
ghosthack wrote:
manekk wrote:

The game will allow a smart player to take advantage of a 'disadvantage' sometimes, if they play correctly. Instead of a flaw, I see that as a benefit, and very thematic.

Just imagine Tywin, after losing some battles in the field to Robb, allowing (or even plotting with) the wildlings to lead a raid across the wall to weaken the other houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud Gain
msg tools
MattShinners wrote:
The game will allow a smart player to take advantage of a 'disadvantage' sometimes, if they play correctly. Instead of a flaw, I see that as a benefit, and very thematic.

Just imagine Tywin, after losing some battles in the field to Robb, allowing (or even plotting with) the wildlings to lead a raid across the wall to weaken the other houses.

But you are supposed to reveal the Wildlings attack card AFTER the bid. In that case it's hardly a matter of playing smart but just being lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaudgf wrote:
MattShinners wrote:

But you are supposed to reveal the Wildlings attack card AFTER the bid. In that case it's hardly a matter of playing smart but just being lucky.

Or having the Raven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.