Subject: German Variant 4 -- Spain Joins the Axis! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jersey Guys
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Hello. Our latest war grinds on after a ceasefire for the holidays, and as usual each turn brings up situations that Field Marshall Roe and I would love to hear how others have handled. Here are two concerning variant 4:
1) Italy must pay 35 BRPs for Spain to enter the war. Does Italy then add Spain's BRPs to its total immediately? Rule 25.3 would indicate so. In effect, the cost of the DoW would end up being a net loss of 5?
2) Italy must be at war with a major power at the time of activation. Does that mean prior to the Spring 1941 turn beginning? Or could it declare war on the Allies in the same turn (if it had the BRPs)? I read the variant to mean that in effect Italy has to be at war with a major Ally at the end of winter 1940. Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
brule600 wrote:
Hello. Our latest war grinds on after a ceasefire for the holidays, and as usual each turn brings up situations that Field Marshall Roe and I would love to hear how others have handled. Here are two concerning variant 4:
1) Italy must pay 35 BRPs for Spain to enter the war. Does Italy then add Spain's BRPs to its total immediately? Rule 25.3 would indicate so. In effect, the cost of the DoW would end up being a net loss of 5?
2) Italy must be at war with a major power at the time of activation. Does that mean prior to the Spring 1941 turn beginning? Or could it declare war on the Allies in the same turn (if it had the BRPs)? I read the variant to mean that in effect Italy has to be at war with a major Ally at the end of winter 1940. Any thoughts on this?

1) Italy must first spend the 35 BRPs for the Spanish DOW, this counts against Italy's per turn spending limit. Then she immediately gains 30 BRPs. This is the same situation for Turkey whether its an Axis or Allied minor ally

2) I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brule600 wrote:

Since the play of Axis Variant #4 occurs before the DoW (in the Sequence of Play on page 70), It would appear the Italy must be at war by the Winter 1940 turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree with Patrick on 1 and Steve on 2. Italy does indeed spend 35 and get 30, however, that isn't the same as spending 5 due to the spending limit. The detailed turn sequence does indeed definitively answer 2. I'm giving the rules 2/2 on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.