Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Godkin
United States
Roanoke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are veteran gamers. We just picked up Dominion not too long ago and found ourselves confused by how quickly we were finishing our games. In one video review I watched, the gentleman talked about how a vanishing deck of province cards rarely ends a game, that it's usually three decks depleting.
We play games where we pick up one or two smithies, a support card or two (festival, village I think is one) and then just be opportunistic with whatever happens with our leftover buys or whatever. Then we play our smithies and just take three province cards at a time. With only two players there's eight of them in there. You can imagine how quickly the game goes...
I don't enjoy playing with the smithy. To be honest, we were playing ten minute games before we figured out how to tie smithy cards to festival and village cards.
Is there something I'm missing here? Are we not supposed to take three of the same type? Are we not supposed to take victory cards? Are we just that good/bad at this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+3 cards means draw three cards from your discard pile face down deck and take them into your hand!

@lomn - thanks for the correction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying you purchase 3x Province in a single turn? First, you only have 1 "buy", unless a card gives you more "buys". Second, each Province costs $8, which you must have in your hand in order to purchase it. I'd be VERY surprised if you're able to get $24, with or without the extra 2 "buys" necessary in a turn, regardless of how many smithy, festival, and village cards are in your decks.

shrimple wrote:
+3 cards means draw three cards from your discard pile and take them into your hand!

Ah, I see the problem. By the way, it's "draw 3 cards from your deck", not your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You get one action and one buy. If you play your Smithy first, that takes up your one action and you can't do anything else, even if you draw new action cards.

Also make sure you aren't reading +3 Cards as "Buy" - it means "draw"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Godkin
United States
Roanoke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap... not draw three supply cards? Does any card that says "Draw" mean draw from your discard pile and take them into your hand? And, when you say hand, you mean the the original five cards that you originally put out to use, right? So, that would just give you maybe more money to work with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough information to be sure if you are breaking rules but if you get enough money and smithies you can buy Provinces frequently.

You are playing with only 1 buy and 1 action per turn until you play an action that gives you more, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
choo choo steve wrote:
Holy crap... not draw three supply cards? Does any card that says "Draw" mean draw from your discard pile and take them into your hand? And, when you say hand, you mean the the original five cards that you originally put out to use, right? So, that would just give you maybe more money to work with?

Right, or if you play Village and then Smithy you'd draw three cards and have the ability to play one more action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+3 cards = draw top 3 cards from draw pile (i.e. your personal face-down deck) into your hands.

VP cards, coins and kingdom cards usually need to be purchased with the 'Buy' action (noting the default is one buy action per turn). Exceptions come from playing some kingdom cards (e.g. bureaucrat lets you 'gain' a silver and place it on the top of your draw pile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Godkin
United States
Roanoke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules wrong this whole time. Just got the game four days ago and read the directions wrong... think I have it now. Discard pile can be picked back into your hand... anything on the "tableau" must be purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
choo choo steve wrote:
Yes, with the correction that you draw from your (face-down) deck, not your (face-up) discard pile. For getting cards directly from the supply, look for the word "gain" (such as on Workshop), and note that any card gained goes to your discard pile unless otherwise specified.

//edit: thanks for pointing out the fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
choo choo steve wrote:

You draw cards from your draw deck when it says draw and not the discard pile unless a card specifically would say it comes from the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
choo choo steve wrote:
I've read the rules wrong this whole time. Just got the game four days ago and read the directions wrong... think I have it now. Discard pile can be picked back into your hand... anything on the "tableau" must be purchased.

When your deck (that you draw from) runs out, you shuffle your discard pile and it becomes your draw deck again. You don't (generally) draw from your discard pile. If you are to "draw 3 cards" as with the Smithy, you draw from your draw deck, not your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Godkin
United States
Roanoke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect everyone! Clear as mud! Thanks for you quick and efficient help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
choo choo steve wrote:
In one video review I watched, the gentleman talked about how a vanishing deck of province cards rarely ends a game, that it's usually three decks depleting.

Not your question, but the "gentleman" is dead wrong The game will end with the last province card bought most of the time. Not always, but in my own experience about 90% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Not your question, but the "gentleman" is dead wrong The game will end with the last province card bought most of the time. Not always, but in my own experience about 90% of the time.

When I first started playing, we kept buying lots of action cards 'cause they seemed so much cooler than treasures (money). I loved to string together long combos that would allow me to draw half of my 30+ card deck... and I'd end up with $4 or $5 from the coppers I started with - with which I would buy more action cards. As such, we usually exhausted 3 kingdom card piles LONG before buying out the provinces.

Once you learn to build leaner decks that have a good money (mostly gold) to action ratio, you'll find that you'll empty the province pile in < 15 minutes, and you might have a total of 3 or 4 actions in your entire deck (which might have 16-24 cards including provinces at the end of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
ScoobyG wrote:

I think it depends on how you're playing. 4-player Intrigue games tend to end on three piles; 2-player base set games tend to end on Provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to nitpick, but to prevent any more confusion in an already confusing thread:

lomn wrote:
For getting cards directly from the supply, look for the word "gain" (such as on Woodcutter Workshop), and note that any card gained goes to your discard pile unless otherwise specified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Godkin
United States
Roanoke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to reply again and say thank you to everyone that responded so quickly yesterday. The members on the site rock! I had concise answers to all of my questions within 10 minutes of posting.
To be honest I feel like kind of a dummy... what a noob mistake! In my group of gamer friends WE (my wife and I) get the games, learn them and THEN play with all our friends, so I didn't have an introduction to this game other than a video review online.
Thanks again everyone and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Steven Godkin:Sorry, I can't believe that you and your wife are veteran gamers. Why you don't look into the manual. Just for one time and you should know the basic rules. You can only take three cards from your deck with the smithy. To buy 3 provinces in one turn you need much money and three buys which you can only get from other cards which you have to play in your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lynes
United Kingdom
Lowestoft
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
@Steven Godkin:Sorry, I can't believe that you and your wife are veteran gamers. Why you don't look into the manual.

Hey, no need to beat the guy up. He made a mistake, just misread the manual. We've all done things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
@Steven Godkin:Sorry, I can't believe that you and your wife are veteran gamers. Why you don't look into the manual. Just for one time and you should know the basic rules.

Rude. I am a veteran gamer and it's rare that I understand the rules of a game entirely upon one reading of the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
@Steven Godkin:Sorry, I can't believe that you and your wife are veteran gamers. Why you don't look into the manual. Just for one time and you should know the basic rules. You can only take three cards from your deck with the smithy. To buy 3 provinces in one turn you need much money and three buys which you can only get from other cards which you have to play in your turn.

Easy there, hard charger. He owned up to a newbish mistake. If you're not familiar with deck-building games, this could be a very easy mistake to make.

Climb down from the ledge and give the guy a break. Let's try to be welcoming here, and not come across as elitist and snobby, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

I also learn (and play) all games with my wife and from the rule book. I don't think we have ever gotten everything right the first time, usually not the second either.

Most people on this site are very understanding and supportive. I have asked some really stupid questions (and yours was not) and people have been great. I am sorry all are not, but please keep coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to get some rules wrong if you haven't been taught Dominion by someone and just read the rules yourself, provided that you don't read them very carefully.

But since the OP himself started to doubt they were playing Smithy wrong, why not just look up either what "+3 Cards" means, which is clearly written in the rules under its own heading, or the card explanation for Smithy, where it's also clearly written what it does?

This is advice to the OP, by the way. You are most probably playing several rules wrong, and the only way to find out for sure is to actually re-read the rulebook, carefully this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.