Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading quite a few books and articles about subs of the 1920's and WW2,me and my buddy has came to the conclusion that subs of the 20's didn't have the endurance or patrol range of subs of WW2;so we made it so subs of the 1920's only could attempt to contact ships one hex radius instead of two;I'd like to know what other players feel about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tyrone,

I actually think having the GWAS subs make contact within two of the flotilla is OK, in a manner similar to SWWAS.

Submarines in GWAS became quite deadly, when:

Contact radius increased to three, and later to as high as five in Plan Gold,

The "wolf pack" way in which submarines make contact in GWAS, i.e. either the whole flotilla pounces, or none.

You could move a flotilla anywhere on the map after a rest of 42 turns.

I'd like to eventually harmonize the two systems' submarine mechanisms, leaning more towards the SWWAS model (it's harder to make contact, and take shots).

What I would suggest instead for GWAS is making the contact radius two (instead of 3+), and then roll individually for each submarine to make contact under 15.2. Contact occurs on a 5+, while an attack can only be made on a result of 6+. Add +1 to the roll if an ace. I would also allow the flotilla to move one sea zone per game day. Maybe try that a let me know what happens.

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.