Popular Tags: identify [+] hivemind [+] [View All]
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if any of my gaming brethren have some incite into the origin and authenticity of this piece. With some very quick research I believe it to be a Aztec water jug (possibly Mayan but I dont think so). Was just wondering if anyone can add more information that knows more about this type of object. My assumption is that was made for the tourists but the person I got this from traveled the world and collected some very valuable stuff over the years. So who knows - maybe it is authentic/old. Unfortunately he passed away and I was not able to ask him about this one. Any assistance/info would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
drill a hole in his crotch for a resin bowl and call it bongtastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
drill a hole in his crotch for a resin bowl and call it bongtastic.

Thanks for that suggestion... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the statue hollow?

My first thought was that it is some sort of flag holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
Is the statue hollow?

My first thought was that it is some sort of flag holder.

I'd like to know:

1) How heavy.
2) If the cylinder is hollow.
3) Is there anything under the base. (i.e.: a picture of the bottom)
4) Also, how "raised" is this line that runs along the one section:

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps it is a carving of a something once seen in a disturbing dream. Although it seems to be missing wings, claws, and tentacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
The design of the handle is typical of a Moche bottle. It's not Aztec or Mayan. Please do a Google Image search on "Moche bottle" and enjoy the hilarity, because the Moche were very fond of violent or sexualized imagery in their pottery.

And although it's impossible to know based on a picture, my Spidey sense is tingling that the pictured bottle is a reproduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone... JoshBot has nailed it down. Appreciated. I to think it is a reproduction. I had two of them and my cat smashed one so if they are real that was quit a loss. My 'bottle' is very tame comparatively - no copulating.

On closer inspection though - I am not so sure that it is a reproduction - and considering the other things collected by the gentlemen that had this in his collection... there is a chance it is authentic. Almost nothing he had were fakes or cheap - mostly very valuable and of high quality. Hmmmmm.

JoshBot wrote:
The design of the handle is typical of a Moche bottle. It's not Aztec or Mayan. Please do a Google Image search on "Moche bottle" and enjoy the hilarity, because the Moche were very fond of violent or sexualized imagery in their pottery.

And although it's impossible to know based on a picture, my Spidey sense is tingling that the pictured bottle is a reproduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake It was used in their ancient GAME called "Cockey", or better renown today with "Shufflecock", sort of akin to that modern version of "Curling". robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.