Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to organize my first game of TI3. I think there's enough material here on what to include, extra cheat sheets to print, etc. I'm going to study hard and 'GM' the game. Not too worried about that part (really!).

My question is, how many players should I include? The overwhelming consensus seems to be that 6 players is optimal for the experience, 5 is great, but 4 is really the bare minimum. I want to balance that out with play time of course. What would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
4 is a good number for a first game, lets you get the concept down, will still be a 5-6 hour event given all new players, and doesn't lose much from the doubling up on Strategy Cards. Then you will have 3 advocates with a loose understanding of the rules to take with you into the next attempt, a 6 player game. With 4 of you knowing the gist of the rules it will go much smoother for the full 6 player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Steve is making a really good point.
My only concern with the 4 player games is the map Size. it is just too big.
I suggest you play a "double-truncated" map like this one :

The hexagons linked by a line are adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the number of players, I was thinking of using the preset maps, are those too big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
I'd say the ressources balance in this game was designed for 6 players.

This double-truncated map is just a 6 players map with two "sixth" removed.
Juste take a 6-players preset map and remove two "sixth" of it in the same way and you're done !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found 3-4 players is great for a first game to keep the time down.

The 4p pre-set is richer than 6p, but I'm not sure this hurts the game so much. You could go for a different symmetric map with only 3 planet systems per player (as 6p does).

The people I play with have a mental block on hexes that are adjacent but not physically adjacent, so I wouldn't use the 4p or 5p wedge maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KalKraken wrote:
The people I play with have a mental block on hexes that are adjacent but not physically adjacent, so I wouldn't use the 4p or 5p wedge maps.

I was a little worried about that myself, this confirms my suspicions, so thanks I'll avoid them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Then, you can make something like that (I played a newbies game with that)

That is a regular 4-player map minus 10 hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.