BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: what are best "movie game" companies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McBrayer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I have a board game concept in design and testing stages that I can foresee having many different "versions" of play (i.e. sports, music, movies).
I really feel as if the initial version of the game should be in the Movies format (mostly because that's where my initial concept came from). I also feel as if not every publisher could "pull off" a movie game, so I was wondering what the best publishers for movie type games might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There arent. Its usually a case by case basis, or whomever has existing contracts. Hasbro for example nets various movies, etc. It all depends on who wants to take the risk and pay the liscensing fees.

No game company usually has a monopoly on a movie setting. Though often only one agreement is handed out ever to any one game company.

Its a messy process and alot harder than securing comic book, or novel agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, do you mean Movie as in a particular franchise or Movie as in a game about making movies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
What is a "movie game"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
Wait, do you mean Movie as in a particular franchise or Movie as in a game about making movies?

That was my thought exactly...though the wording of his subject like makes me think its i the former rather than the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McBrayer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Sorry for the confusion. My concept has to do with movies in general, though not the typical movie trivia/quote type. In other words, I was not asking in reference to a game centered on one specific movie.

Do your previous responses still apply? That there is no one outstanding game publisher in the general area of movie games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
No, because there aren't a lot of generic movie games if you exclude trivia games. Can you name more than 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasbro has a tone of generic games that are movie based, like Transformers, LOTR, sponge bob, etc. etc. You know like Spider Man Candyland, Transformers Candyland, Lord of the Ring Candyland, Cars Candyland, Toy Story Candyland, etc. etc. Wizkids also has a bunch of LOTR and Star Trek Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize in advance for being such a dork as to post this reply, but I hope the analogy lets you see how fuzzy your question is. Without further details, you won't get useful answers.

what are best "literature movie" film studios
I have a movie concept in writing and proof-reading stages that I can foresee having many different "episodes" (i.e. sports, music, literature).
I really feel as if the pilot of the movie series should be in the Literature format (mostly because that's where my initial concept came from). I also feel as if not every film studio could "pull off" a Literature movie, so I was wondering what the best studios for literature type movies might be.

---

Sorry for the confusion. My concept has to do with literature in general, though not the typical muddled screen adaption type. In other words, I was not asking in reference to a movie centered on one specific novel.
Do your previous responses still apply? That there is no one outstanding film studio in the general area of literature movies?

We might still have recommendations for you, but we don't know whether you're heading in directions like Scene It? Movie, Anno Domini: Showbizz, Show Manager, Dream Factory or something completely different (and just claiming "none of the four" will not narrow the field down by much). If you're worried that we steal your script and turn it into a romantic comedy, well, then we can't help you. I promise, while I sometimes watch romantic comedies, I won't write any.

Edit: Hollywood Games would fit the bill of the initial question, but I'd be really surprised if you were happy with that suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
pmigas wrote:
Hasbro has a tone of generic games that are movie based, like Transformers, LOTR, sponge bob, etc. etc. You know like Spider Man Candyland, Transformers Candyland, Lord of the Ring Candyland, Cars Candyland, Toy Story Candyland, etc. etc. Wizkids also has a bunch of LOTR and Star Trek Games.

I don't think the OP is referring to licensed games, either. But can't be sure because I don't know what he might mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would get more useful responses if you expanded on your idea bit a more.

When you say movies, sports and music as a version of play, the first thing most people will think of like the others have stated is either A) a generic trivia game or B) games that are licenses of other IP, i.e. spongebob checkers

There are very few "generic" games in either category that are not trivia based. I can't think of any in the movie category. I've only seen one generic movie trivia game and it wasn't good. The Scene it games based on specific movies or studios are paying a premium to get that content.

In sports I guess you could include the electronic football or soccer games, where you're moving the pieces on the field for plays. Again on the video game side this is why EA controls majority of the sports games and you seen very few generic games, because they can afford to pay for the IP of the leagues.

Other than trivia how could you do anything with music? Are you an artist, studio, are there instruments involved?

I also don't see how you could have a single game mechanic that would fit movies, music or sports that isn't trivia.

It might help if you go into some detail on what the concept is, that's kinda the point of this forum. If it is a generic theme now then why would you think it would fit into sports, movies and music?

If movies were the initial inspiration for your concept, then what aspects? Are the players involved in the production of a movie? Is it based on a specific genre of films? Does it have anything to do with scripts, production, going to the movies, movie studios, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No there isnt.

As said. Each company amd each studio has diffrent agreements and sometimes its on a case by case basis.

Hasbro and Milton Bradley used to compete heavily for titles to convert to board games. During the CCG boom there was a move along simmilar lines with Decipher heading that field for a while with their Star Wars and Star Trek games.

And that also applies to any sort of generic system. No companies specialize in it, for the same liscensing reasons. And no true generic system is possible outside of RPGs. You can adapt and retheme existing games. But no board game can cover it all. Same as theres no generic do-it-all sports game out there.

Hope that helps.

You'll need to make clear what you are getting at though. Right now your wording is far too vague and leaves too much to interpetation and guesswork.

But the answer is still No. No-one specializes. They cant.

AirMcBrayer wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. My concept has to do with movies in general, though not the typical movie trivia/quote type. In other words, I was not asking in reference to a game centered on one specific movie.

Do your previous responses still apply? That there is no one outstanding game publisher in the general area of movie games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McBrayer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I don't mean to offend if I sound vague and I certainly don't presume my idea to be worthy of copy. I have chosen not to lay everything out there yet mainly because I have read recently that some publishers are very strict in ideas they accept, specifically avoiding concepts that have been "publicly shared". One entry I read on a page even specifically mentioned publishers avoiding game ideas that have been discussed on BGG. Now, I admit that I'm not completely established in the game design world (and, in fact, I'm new to BGG even), so I don't know whether or not to believe all that. I have found that there is a TON of information out there (some of it conflicting even) and so I'm just trying to go about this the best way I can based on personal judgment.
In rethinking one of my early posts, I probably need to reassess my game's description as SIMILAR to a movie trivia game... But having said that, it is not a trivia game in the typical sense of the word. I share this mainly to correct my own mistake. I realize this still doesn't fully disclose anything as many on BGG seem willing to do. I hope you will respect my decision in this regard and maybe, as I become more comfortable with the BGG forums, I will also be able to more freely share my ideas.

Humbly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. So basically something like a trivia game in that its making use of several diffrent subjects.

The answer then is again the same. No one company specializes in them. Its still a case by case basis. Hasbro seems to handle most of the current Trivial Pursuit games for example. But they are effectively un-approachable without alot of money backing you first, making the effort useless. Theres a few other companies that make Trivia style games. But none focus on it that I can recall. Its not my area of interest so that is the limits of my knowledge in that field.

As for companies having rules against having something on BGG. Its very true as I just last month was told flat out by a publisher that they prefer a game not to have been posted to BGG.
But the rule is against a game being out first free or web hosted in a print-n-play format or small press. And that rules been held by many companies since at least the 90s when I first encountered it myself.

Its not the game idea that they dont want on BGG, or the net at all. Its a fully, or near fully completed game being up usually. Least so far thats been the statement I've gotten.

Discuss/post Ideas = Fine
Discuss/post Rules = Not fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

As for companies having rules against having something on BGG. Its very true as I just last month was told flat out by a publisher that they prefer a game not to have been posted to BGG.
But the rule is against a game being out first free or web hosted in a print-n-play format or small press. And that rules been held by many companies since at least the 90s when I first encountered it myself.

I just want to make sure this is clear and the message does not get messed up. From my understanding game companies don’t want to see a game page put up on the BGG. This is because it takes away their ability to retheme, rename, make big changes and promote the game. Companies do not have a problem with open discussions about a game and its design issues on the geek. It also does not mean you cannot do a print and play (P&P) to specific individuals through BGG as long as it is not a public distribution. P&P should be done in limited format to flush out the final design. There should be nothing against designers making a P&P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I just want to make sure this is clear and the message does not get messed up. From my understanding game companies don’t want to see a game page put up on the BGG. This is because it takes away their ability to retheme, rename, make big changes and promote the game. Companies do not have a problem with open discussions about a game and its design issues on the geek. It also does not mean you cannot do a print and play (P&P) to specific individuals through BGG as long as it is not a public distribution. P&P should be done in limited format to flush out the final design. There should be nothing against designers making a P&P.

No. I was told flat out by 2 small and 2 large companies that having a game up as Print-n-Play got it an automatic rejection. WOTC used to have that stated in their submissions guidelines. Not sure if they still do. Same goes for having it on a web site, etc.

As said. Most dont care if you discuss the game development. But the minute you have the game up anywhere for free, doors *will* close where they were open before.

Keep in mind, as with all else in the gaming biz. This varies wildly from company to company. Some are more strict, some less so. And some mine the forums for new games. But going PnP definitly will lock you out of some companies.

PnP playtesting in private though is usually ok. Long as its not posted on the net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.