Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Encounters Deck has 76 cards, and even if 50% of all location tiles in a standard 5x5 set-up are successfully encountered, that's only about 14 or 15 cards out of 76 cards.

So I'm going to house rule a new action available for the player to use. The new action is an Exploration Action. If you remember, when a player explores a location, whether they successfully roll for an encounter or not, they orientate the location tile so that it is right-side up to that player. The orientation of the location tile then denotes the player that did the exploration of that location.

So, my new Exploration Action states: A player's ship entering a location previously explored by their opponent may attempt to explore that location. Each location previously explored by one player may only be explored once by the opposing player. Place an explore token to indicate that an opponent's location tile has been explored.

For the tokens, I bought two packages of Fantasy Flight's gaming tokens, one set in blue, and the other in red. http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat...

Bottom line, I'm hoping to see more of the Encounter Cards exposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cycling through the encounter deck faster takes more control from the players and lowers replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I'm not sure that it would effect replayability that much. As I stated in the standard 5x5 board configuration, on average you will encounter 14 or 15 cards. My explore action rule might double that to 30 cards, if you're really lucky, and only if a player is able to attempt the explore action on EVERY location previously explored by their opponent.

Cause remember, you can only do an explore action ONCE, period, in a location previously explored by your opponent.

Plus, with the game mechanics of drafting your initial fleet, choosing of command decks, the random missions you begin with, and the randomized board configuration.... I think replayability is quite high in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Student Eternal
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait... I am at work at the moment so can not check the rule book, but I had been playing it that you ALLWAYS rolled for an encounter when crossing a tile, even if that tile had already been explored.

(thematically this seemed OK, many of the show had encounters in areas that the crew thought had been explored, either because something drifted in from the black, or because there turned out to be "more going on here")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.