BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions on VERY portable games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anony Mous
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for some suggestions for VERY portable games.

I'm applying to go work at the South Pole (Antarctica), and in the event that I get offered a position, I'll be taking some games with me, obviously. The thing is though, I'd be VERY limited on space, and only allowed to take 2 bags with me for the entire season.

Here are the guidelines I'm looking for:
~Something besides 2 player games, a few suitable for up to 6 people would be nice
~are VERY portable
~don't take too long to learn
~have good replay value

- Obviously, (small) card games fit in this category; Innovation, Race for the Galaxy, Bohnanza, Slide 5 (I know it's horribly goofy, but it's a fun game for non-gamers)
- Dominion (and other big deck building games) is too heavy
- Big box games are WAY out of the question, I'd like it if I could pack a few games in something about the size of a shoe box.
- Cheapass games are good, because a lot of them are small.

So what would you all suggest? please give me some ideas for portable games that can interest veteran gamers, but also be good enough for newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out some games from Adlung-Spiele Not all of them go to six players, but there's still fun to be had. One I'm liking at this point is Palastgeflüster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation and Modern Art would both be good choices except for the 6 player thing.

You definitely want to consider Citadels and possibly The Resistance.

Don't forget a standard deck of playing cards.

If you ditch the boxes, Carcassonne, Evo, and Survive: Escape from Atlantis! travel pretty well. None of them go up to 6 players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Don't forget a standard deck of playing cards.

+1 on that. Those are great value for the size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Resistance.

I LOATHE Citadels. But that's just one vote. The game just isn't any fun for my group. In fact it's anti-fun.

I suggest:
-Chronicle
-Tichu
-San Juan
-Race For the Galaxy (Easily repackaged into a smaller box)
-Victory Point Games (I realize you said not two player, but if you find that there's a couple of gamers you're traveling with, it'll be good to have something with some weight to it for 2 when you're needing a break from the card play.)

Also, Repackage games. Bring a folder containing all your rules and boards if you have any. Then, package all the game parts in one shoebox.

I do this with my 2 month, 2 person tours. I can fit:
-Glen More (fits your criteria)
-Onirim
-Jambo
-Hellas
-Carcassonne w/two expansions (also fits your criteria)
-Caylus Magna Carta (also also fits your criteria)
-Queen's Ransom (Don't get this one)
-Forbidden Island (If co-op floats your boat, look here.)

Rearranging some stuff and it looks like I'll also be able to bring Julius Caesar and Pillars of the Earth: Builder's Duel with me. I only bring 1 duffle bag and a small back pack. The point is, it can be done and I wish you the best of luck. Gaming away from home can be really be a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

If you ditch the boxes, Carcassonne, Evo, and Survive: Escape from Atlantis! travel pretty well. None of them go up to 6 players though.

With an expansion each, Survive and Carcassonne both go up to six. Survive is a great suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere and Red November fit your criteria.

Take heed to the repacking advice. That can really reduce the amount of space you need. And to the advice for a regular deck of cards (or two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade fits what you're after exactly.
Cat & Chocolate does too, although you'll probably have trouble obtaining it unless the re-themed version is already out.
Cockroach Poker will also work nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph K.
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! and a Go magnetic travel board. I just hope the magnets don't mess up the... polarity of your equipment? Mwahahahah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Meuterer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A standard deck of cards.
One of those travel abstract sets that includes backgammon, chess, checkers etc
Parade
The Thing

I know a chap who worked in Antarctica for a year ... he loved it. It does get cold though .... very very very cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

The idea of playing The Resistance on the south pole gives me the creeps goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra: The Dice Game (6 player, very compact w/o box)
Bananagrams (up to 8 players)
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age (4 players)
O Zoo le Mio (4 players - very compact w/o box)
Quarriors! (4 players - very compact w/o box)
Sleuth (Clue-like card game. 3-7 players)
Metro (6 player, very compact w/o box)

Excepting the boards for Alhambra and Metro, you could probably get all these into a large shoe box.

Jambo is a cool game, but only 2 players.

Edit - added these card games

Quiddler
Five Crowns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chefguru wrote:

I've always considered Enemy Chocolatier a bit of an overlooked gem, if you can lay your hands on it.

Quote:
Slide 5 (I know it's horribly goofy, but it's a fun game for non-gamers)

Bring a rule sheet for No Thanks!. You can play with the same cards.

Also, Unnamed Object packs down to basically just the cards (you can share the scoring gems with some other game, I'm sure) and plays up to 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 decks of playing cards and a compilation book on card games. Seriously. You can't beat the versatility of a simple deck of cards:
Jass
Scopa
Rummy
Canasta
Palace
Daihinmin
Various Patience games
and lots of others

As for designer games (in no particular order):
The Resistance
Bohnanza
Tichu
Wizard
Stalag 17 (huge box but it's actually just a few tokens and a deck of cards)
6 nimmt!
Take 5!
You're Bluffing!
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel
The Great Dalmuti (Daihinmin variant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
2 decks of playing cards and a compilation book on card games. Seriously. You can't beat the versatility of a simple deck of cards:

I would be very shocked if they did not already have some playing cards down there. But if they didn't, they certainly should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a Sticheln deck with you. See eg

Many Games for the Price of One!: The Definitive "Games that Can Be Played with a Sticheln Deck" GeekList

Games Playble with a Sticheln deck, Please Add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about taking an I-pad filled with games with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
Kempeth wrote:

I would be very shocked if they did not already have some playing cards down there. But if they didn't, they certainly should.

Indeed. But having replacements at hand is never a bad thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino comes in a handy pocket tin if you are able to track one down - it is about 4cm in diameter and 2cm deep. Even non-gamers love a bit of heckmeck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders - make it smaller by just recreating the wonder boards on pieces of paper, rather than taking the boards. You can also keep track of money and military points on the paper too, so it's just a deck of cards you're taking

Race for the Galaxy is an obvious one, though it might fail on the "easy to teach" directive, so maybe San Juan instead (plus expansion)

Ra is a no brainer I think. Though Peloponnes is also a great auction contender. Tough call there, but you should definitely take one.

Saint Petersburg - leave the board behind, and you've got another great deep card game

At the Gates of Loyang - again, leave the T boards behind, a piece of paper will suffice. though there are a lot of wooden bits, might still be too heavy i guess.

Drakon (third edition) is a cute little dungeon romp, very tiny footprint

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - probably the best small package co-op game, I would think. and also fantastic as solitaire

Citadels - as others have mentioned, a great choice

Louis XIV - fairly heavy game in a very small package

Carcassonne - there's a reason this is such a great gateway game, just throw the tiles and meeples in the bag and you're golden

Notre Dame - it'd be nice to have at least one "proper full board" to set up, and the modular board here makes this a very small footprint game. Be sure to take the expansion cards too

Puerto Rico - not an obvious choice, but one does not need the boards, pieces of paper will do. then it becomes a very portable collection of chits.

The Castles of Burgundy - the cheap components help in this case. the player boards are mostly thin paper, as are the chits, so it would break down to a much smaller package than one might expect. plus you can use the dice form other games, like...

Alea Iacta Est - yay dice consolidation. plus very small footprint with miniboards and chits. Another one where you could leave the boards behind and recreate on paper.

Railways of the World: The Card Game - a great expansive game. plays like a real proper board game, without the board (or almost... could recreate the scoreboard on paper). Just use something simple like different coins instead of the actual trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Gamut of Games would be my suggestion. Pack of cards, pencil, pad of paper, some dice, something to use as tokens maybe and you're away in a multitude of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

The idea of playing The Resistance on the south pole gives me the creeps goo

He could leave them a copy of Panic Station to play after their annual viewing of "The Thing"... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco

Vlaanderen
msg tools
mb
chefguru wrote:
I'm looking for some suggestions for VERY portable games.

I'm applying to go work at the South Pole (Antarctica), and in the event that I get offered a position, I'll be taking some games with me, obviously. The thing is though, I'd be VERY limited on space, and only allowed to take 2 bags with me for the entire season.

Here are the guidelines I'm looking for:
~Something besides 2 player games, a few suitable for up to 6 people would be nice
~are VERY portable
~don't take too long to learn
~have good replay value

- Obviously, (small) card games fit in this category; Innovation, Race for the Galaxy, Bohnanza, Slide 5 (I know it's horribly goofy, but it's a fun game for non-gamers)
- Dominion (and other big deck building games) is too heavy
- Big box games are WAY out of the question, I'd like it if I could pack a few games in something about the size of a shoe box.

So what would you all suggest? please give me some ideas for portable games that can interest veteran gamers, but also be good enough for newbies.

If you play Splut! in Antarctica and post images here, then you'll be my hero!

2-4 Players, only 12 pawns and an A4-sized board. Pawns can be tokens, so they need not much space. Rules are simple. Mastering Splut! is another thing ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
seeing this thread i decided to finally write up my 'emergency tin' list HERE. there is also THIS thread about general suggestions for emergency tins. and THIS list of super compact games for travelling with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.