Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Your word is your bond. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
United States
California
flag msg tools
In my experience, when I play TI3 I find that certain players in my group tend to keep to their word, while others can almost be counted on to break it.

Of the players in my group myself and 2 others fall into the honor bound category. I've found playing in this manner has certain advantages. You may never get to partake of some really juicy backstab opportunities, but you can get others to make deals with you that require them to trust you (I got one guy to let me "borrow" his home system for a turn, I gave it back as promised later. There have been many games I have played that having the reputation I do has saved me by making deals that no sane person would normally trust someone to keep.

In contrast, we have another player in our group who can almost be counted on to go back on his word. I played one particular game where I had 3 separate non-aggression pacts with the same guy who broke all 3 of them (needless to say, after the first time I knew pact was only good as my ability to enforce it when dealing with him). After the third attack I rolled him and took his home system. He seemed quite surprised when I stopped accepting offers of peace with him. In games since, His reputation has preceded him. And he has trouble getting alliances.

I thought this might be a good thread to analyze how different players approach the value of their word. How do you guys play and why? Have you seen anyone play a certain way that their reputation either hurt or helped them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
First of all, I usually only make deals for one turn or have a border agreement. Having agreements that lasts the whole game make the game lose some of its tension.

If I can win (or the other player win if I don't do it) or an opportunity to get a huge leap in victory points by breaking the agreement I will do so. That is also what most other players in my group thinks about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Harmon
msg tools
This meta is why I love twilight imperium so much.

I find that villainy is not really half as restrictive as the perception of villiany. Basically you need to fight the PR war. A player who backstabs someone but does so with grace an apology and an explanation will often get away with it without the stigma of being a jerk. On the other hand a player who only engages in honourable combat but who crows and taunts players every time they roll a 1 is going to find a hard time making friends.

Carrying a big stick is fine. But people forget the importance of speaking softly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
godfeather wrote:
First of all, I usually only make deals for one turn or have a border agreement. Having agreements that lasts the whole game make the game lose some of its tension.

If I can win (or the other player win if I don't do it) or an opportunity to get a huge leap in victory points by breaking the agreement I will do so. That is also what most other players in my group thinks about it.

Agreed. I only make short term deals, and I only break them if the game is at stake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my word up until the point it would cause another player to win. Most of the time I don't make promises though. I just assure other players as to my intent at the moment. It seems to work but my profession is basically negotiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group tends towards non-aggression pacts, especially early on. We have a few players that everyone is leery of forming any kind of alliance with due to their unpredictability. Most of us also avoid creating Trade Agreements with our neighbors, since having to renegotiate every time there's a border conflict is tedious. Exceptions are usually made if there's an especially profitable agreement in play (e. g., Hacan).
Our group also loves to try to convince each other not to form any sort of alliance with me, which is both frustrating and amusing since I'm one of the only players in the group that will actually keep his word. I'll use strong arm tactics and gunboat diplomacy, but once I've made an agreement with you I'm good for it. Of course, if you break the agreement with me I'll retaliate in kind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
California
flag msg tools
I usually will keep a bargain with someone even if it gives them a shot at winning the game. Most people (in my group at least) remember that. This usually will buy me at least one ally when the galaxy starts unifying against the top dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the best players don't openly lie about what they do. The really good ones will be perfectly straight and say I can't help with that, but most keep their end of the bargens.... then there is Bien.... never trust that guy

really in any game there will always b guys you can't trust... My policy is usually not to trust or to trust, but Verify.

You are a fool if you agree to trust someone with anything that will cost you the game anyway. I.E. don't believe anyone who says they won't attack your open home system late in the game.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to control systems next to the home worlds of two other races as my secret objective. I made the moves and told the players I wouldn't attack their home worlds, and didn't. The other players know I'll keep my word.

The other players in our group will make an alliance and break it at an advantageous time, not just to do it, though. It's timing that makes all the difference.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tend not to make binding agreements in TI. I'll make suggestions about which planets I feel are mine and how it would be easier if neither of us armed a particularly threatening border, but I won't pinky swear that a border is forever safe from me. There are a lot of games that don't really work if players aren't playing to win, and an absolute treaty kind of risks that in my opinion. I'd much rather influence my opponent in game (with carrots and sticks) anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
zackss wrote:
I tend not to make binding agreements in TI. I'll make suggestions about which planets I feel are mine and how it would be easier if neither of us armed a particularly threatening border, but I won't pinky swear that a border is forever safe from me. There are a lot of games that don't really work if players aren't playing to win, and an absolute treaty kind of risks that in my opinion. I'd much rather influence my opponent in game (with carrots and sticks) anyway.

I think breaking alliance is inherent in this game. They're temporary until the game reaches the stage in which the agreement is no longer valid.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always keep my word in this game. Such reliability carries over with my playgroup and they know I can be relied upon to honor our deals. Because I always keep my word, however, I'm extremely careful about what terms I'll agree to in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn the table!

Use HIS tactics against him! Make a deal with him and show him how bad it is when someone backstabs you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do this often and he may learn something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.