Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not manage to remove all the population after the combat phase or if you move into an opponents hex that has population but no ships, how do you/can you attack the population with no initial combat rounds to be done?

I have read the rules and searched this forum and cannot find the answer to this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking population occurs at the end of the combat round.
It is not relevant if there was ship combat in that hex during this combat round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm happy for someone else to chime in with a more official answer, but looking at page 20 of the English rules, I see the following:

Quote:
Attacking Population: After all battles have been resolved, the remaining Ships may attack the population in the hex. Each Ship may attack once with all of its Cannons (Missiles may not be used), using the normal rules to hit. Population is considered not to have any shields. Each point of damage destroys one Population Cube of your choosing. If you have the Neutron Bombs Technology, you may destroy all the Population Cubes from the hex without rolling any dice.

Destroyed cubes are returned to the defeated player’s Graveyards of the
corresponding color. The cubes are returned to their respective Population Tracks in Cleanup Phase (see page 24). If a cube is destroyed from a gray (wild) square, the owner may choose which Graveyard it goes to. Destroying Population Cubes does not grant Reputation Tiles (see next page).

Orbitals and Monoliths may not be attacked, nor are they ever removed from the hex. The population on the Orbital must be destroyed the same way as the other Population Cubes.

To me this means that if all enemy ships have been destroyed, or if no enemy ships were present at the start of combat, then each of your ships may attack ONCE with all of their cannons (but not missles) against what is essentially a defenseless target (no hull, no shields). If you hit you remove one population cube for each point of damage you generate. If, after each ship has fired once, there are still enemy population cubes present then you wait until the end of the next round. If enemy ships arrive, you fight those like normal first. Assuming you still have ships in that sector after normal combat (or after determining that there are no enemy ships there to fight) then each of your ships fire all cannons once more, remove another poplulation cube per point of damage, and so on. When the population is gone, you remove the enemy influence disk, have the chance to claim influence in that sector with your own disk, and finally, have the chance to use any available colony ships to produce your own population.

I hope that clears it up for you! Good luck and enjoy the game. I know I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bosco312 wrote:
If, after each ship has fired once, there are still enemy population cubes present then you wait until the end of the next round.

And remember, if you don't completely wipe out the population in a hex from an opponent, that opponent can immediately re-populate those cubes using colony ships at the beginning of the upkeep phase. One player in a game I played actually had his income INCREASE because he was attacked:

His 2 Tech cubes were killed, but the last cube remained on the hex (a Money cube). These 2 Tech cubes went to the pink graveyard, so his Tech income hadn't diminished. He used 2 Colony ships in the beginning of Upkeep (before income) and moved 2 MORE pink cubes into the system earning even more Tech income! (Of course the graveyard cubes then filled those spaces in at the end of the round, but he was happy.)

(edit: This was illegal... see below)

Neutron Bombs are very important (or, good computers and plenty of cannons to make good odds!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
Bosco312 wrote:
If, after each ship has fired once, there are still enemy population cubes present then you wait until the end of the next round.

And remember, if you don't completely wipe out the population in a hex from an opponent, that opponent can immediately re-populate those cubes using colony ships at the beginning of the upkeep phase.

Not according to the Official FAQ thread:
"Page 24, Colony Ships: This chapter should read as follows: "First, you may activate one or more of your remaining Colony Ships (see Colony Ships on page 8) and move Population Cubes to hexes. Contrary to the Action Phase, you may not move cubes to hexes containing enemy Ships." (Bold red emphasis mine).

If Player A failed to destroy all of Player B's population, Player B cannot immediately recolonize them, so that the player cannot double-benefit from the planet that round.

Player B could still recolonize during the next round, though, but at that point his graveyard will have been returned so he isn't double-benefitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops! We missed that! I guess that's why it's in the FAQ!

It seemed wrong when it happened ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
He can recolonize during the next action phase, however. Although probably those colony ships are better used somewhere else, unless he thinks he can retake the system or he just wants to slow down the invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
He can recolonize during the next action phase, however. Although probably those colony ships are better used somewhere else, unless he thinks he can retake the system or he just wants to slow down the invasion.

Wouldn't he have lost his influence disk in that hex when he lost his ships? Can he recolonize without influence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

Wouldn't he have lost his influence disk in that hex when he lost his ships? Can he recolonize without influence?

You don't lose your influence disk until after you lose all your population. Just losing your ships won't cause you to lose the disk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The influence disk isn't removed from the hex until all the population is gone (or the owner withdraws voluntarily with an Influence action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
The influence disk isn't removed from the hex until all the population is gone (or the owner withdraws voluntarily with an Influence action).

Interesting. I'm not sure we've played that correctly...I think we have, but it's pretty much a guarantee we get a rule wrong every time we play a new game. Since I've won Eclipse twice, I have to assume we've been playing something horribly wrong that will disqualify both my victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

Interesting. I'm not sure we've played that correctly...I think we have, but it's pretty much a guarantee we get a rule wrong every time we play a new game. Since I've won Eclipse twice, I have to assume we've been playing something horribly wrong that will disqualify both my victories.

We discussed this last night. The influence disk stays until population is gone. However, since you always have those damned neutron bombs, it's never been an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Kaluza
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be going off on a tangent... but does population PIN an enemy ship if there are no friendly shps present? or can we move through enemy hexes if there are no ships to defend them?

Is killing population considered a battle (we believe not). Can you draw vistory points for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No, population does not PIN ships. So... yes, you can move trough enemy hexes if no enemy ships there (including starbases, ancients, or ships of other players - those would pin your ships)

No, killing population is not a battle. We don´t even call it killing, liberating is the prefered term. So... no, you can´t draw combat VP tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, a hit from a single plasma cannon / 1 orange dice is enough to remove 2 population cubes in a hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Played this wrongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Mohamed
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Kareem Koh -lol... poor John! I could've won it maybe should it have been allowed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.