Stone Age: The Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: anyone played this ? any feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone played this yet..be realy good to hear some feedback before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
To try something out with trading sounds great, but the game is worse now for me.
When the majority of the players has access to trading there isn't much worker placement feeling anymore.
Placing on a hut wihthout the ressources was risky in the base game, because other players could block that ressource. Now everybody has unlimited access to adornments - so no risk anymore (plus it makes some ressource giving cards from the base game a lot weaker).

Because of this you have less control over the game end from a strong position, the game becomes more tactical and you have to shift to points earlier.

Two other issues I have:
- There is a lot more blind/hidden card drawing than in the base game (there was just one card). So you might wait for a certain card like double population that will never appear
- The 1-7 hut - already very, very strong in the base game - becomes even stronger now.

So it's not my cup of tea. However if you always wanted to play with 5 players and want some changes in strategy/game feeling you may like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
appreciated the feedback...at the moment ive decided not to ruin a great game with with the extension.but i could change my mind..considering its so popular im surprised more hasnt been reviewed about it here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We purchased the German version from BoardGameGuru, as the English version is not yet available, and we have played with the expansion a few times now (2 player). My honest opinion is that I don't think it is worth the change in game mechanics if you play with 2. It offers some interesting changes, and I do like having more huts to vary the game a bit. I think that the expansion would work quite well with 5 players (although I haven't tried it with 5), but with 4 or less it is probably best to stick with the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Ta Yen
msg tools
In conclusion,

I think if you are playing 2-4 players game,
just do not using this expansion.
The unlimited resources will ruin this game?!

But if you are playing exact 5 players game,
Using this expansion may slove the lack of the resources-gain places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.