BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: expansions - box or packet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would you prefer a cheaper expansion with the game in just packaging rather than a new box ?
i never keep the extension boxes instead put it all in the origional box - shame as some of the boxes are really substantial and nice and im wondering maybe add quite a lot to the cost of the game..usualy its a big box with a few bits in too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It REALLY depends on the original box, and the contents of the expansion.

If there's no room in the original box for expansion bits, then it should come in it's own box.

If there's plenty of room (especially if it was planned that way), then I'm a fan of packet expansions.

Steve Jackson Games does this well. Munchkin comes in a box several sizes too big. Expansions come in booster packs, or tuckboxes which are really not useful for storage.

Revolution! comes in a box that is honestly twice as tall as it needs to be. The expansion comes in a plastic bag with a hang-tag.
Looks like this: http://www.dubarrygames.com/2010/09/revolution-palace.html

One of FLGS has a number of unnecessary expansion boxes hanging on his wall like fine art.

Boxes do add a considerable cost to a game. A decent size box will likely add at least $5 to the retail price of an item.

However, most companies see boxes as mandatory for marketing, exposure and general perception reasons. Items that are not in boxes (like the Revolution expansion above) do not shelve nicely, and not all stores have a pegboard to hang it from properly. If placed on a shelf, it lacks "frontage" - it doesn't have a visible title... it's just a bag of... stuff? Who's going to look at that? Some retailers don't like non-box items for this reason.

There's also a general perception that an item that's not in a proper box is "cheap" and "shoddy" - poor quality. You can see tons of discussions here on BGG about box options.

There's a relatively recent thread about it!
"It's what's inside that counts" ----- yeah.... RIGHT....
Very first reply:
GSReis wrote:
I will not buy a game that comes in a bag or a tube, for example, unless (perhaps) the game is exceptionally good.

And the last comment...
scifiantihero wrote:
But when I see a game in a bag, or a pizza box, or whatever, it makes me think the thing is worth ten bucks less than it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes and yes. Very much agree. From a gamers perspective the expansion boxes are pretty much useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does depend on the game and the original box but frequently I'd prefer just packaging.

As an example there are the 'expansions' to Nightfall (Martial Law, Blood Country and The Coldest War). They're all also stand alone games and come in equivalent size boxes with wound cards, starting cards, etc. It's annoying as I don't want to pay for a full, stand alone product. I have Nightfall already and the base game box is designed to accommodate new expansions! Why can't I just buy the new stuff in a cheap package and add it to the base game box? As it is I have zero desire to pay for the expansions whereas I'd probably pick them all up if there was a cheaper option that didn't involve buying a new standalone game in a large box each time I wanted an expansion.

Sorry, rant over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wonder if they could do both..some version in a box and cheaper with just packaging..other products do this so cant see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
wonder if they could do both..some version in a box and cheaper with just packaging..other products do this so cant see why not.

Hmm. Have examples? I wouldn't be surprised if there are other products, but I can't think of them. It would be pretty cool if you bought a cheaper version of an expansion through the OLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Although I'm happy with the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World, I'm really irked because it's difficult to store them together on my shelves. I really wish I could've put the expansion in the main box.

So, yeah. In general, I prefer expansions that fit in the main box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was thinking of other products like cds - you often can buy a delux verion or a standard plain edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always keep the box and throw away the expansion. The box is very important as I'm building a fort with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.