G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
NB - this is as much a personal reflection as a review, so apologies in advance if this isn't your style - I am hoping it might make others in my position see the light and let the love back in!!

Ascension is hardly a new game now, and there are numerous extant quality reviews that I do not intend to replicate. I nonetheless felt compelled to write a brief review of the first competitive expandable card game that I have got into since walking away from Jyhad in the 90's.

I played Jyhad right back at the start of that game's inception, and even sitting here writing, it brings back some fond memories - these were my first card gaming tournaments, and being in Auckland New Zealand (home of the rugby world cup ) it was a small community, and I used to enjoy it. I rarely won, and my competitive nature often got me into strife, but it was a quality game and usually we had a lot of good times. My good mate James "Big Guy" King and I were regulars and played against each other a fair bit too which represent great memories for me of my teenage years.

Then, the love went out of the game for me, and I sold all my cards. Come to think of it, I fell out of love with gaming generally a little at that time, and I can't really pinpoint why that was the case. Anyway from the late 90's onwards, competitive card gaming departed my life.

And that's the way it has been since. I fell back in love with gaming again in the early 2000's, and I have been seriously geeking it again since around 2004. In that time, I have acquired a few card games, but nothing like Jyhad or even deckbuilders really.

Just recently however, the love has started to return. Terra Evolution is a great deckbuilder that I recently acquired and I am really looking forward to Star Wars: The Card Game. I was a big backer of Time Flux on Kickstarter.

But the game that has most got me back in, is Ascension.

Why

I'll start by saying that Ascension certainly won't be for everybody. It is not overly complicated, there's a fair bit of luck in the card play, and the original comes in a ridiculously large box.

But - it is fun. Fast fun. Great artwork fun. Not having to spend a million dollars on booster packs fun. Not envying the guys with all the rare cards fun. Fun because I can smash it on the iPad when I have no-one to play with (the app is absolutely sensational). Fun because I can teach people how to play quickly. Fun because I can have a quick game without killing my mental. Fun because I can mix it up with the first expansion and some of the fun promos. Fun because the rules are so easy to learn, I am not even going to include them in the review.

Attention BGGer's who played competitive card games in their teens and don't anymore

Join me! - If you have an iOS device - buy the app and give it a try. you won't be disappointed. I learnt how to play in 5 minutes and now play every day. If you don't like it - there's $5 gone - big deal.

If you do like it, pick up a copy for ~$20 USD - throw it in with your next order. This may well be the game that gets you back into what is a great social habit, heck you might even go to a tournament or two, and rediscover that the real joy of gaming is in the social experience as much as in the game itself.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review

I greatly enjoy block 1 of Ascension (CotG & RotF). And hey, if you ever find yourself in Northeast Ohio, we STILL have a large contingent of V:TES/Jyhad players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was a competitive Magic player for years, played on the ProTour in 98, but got burned out and hardly played anymore. Magic was something I thought about, but I didnt really have gaming in my life. Ascension brought me back in too, and now I play all sorts of board and card games. I cant believe it took me so long to discover that I enjoy gaming, not just M:tG gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.