Rainer Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,

I have two clarification questions concerning the 2-player game:

1. In the initial setup, when it says one villager of the third couple is married to the left neighbor's village, the neutral village doesn't count as a "neighbor", right? In my opinion this wouldn't make much sense and we have played it like this so far, so it's just for being really sure. :-)

2. Can the neutral village acquire person tiles? Put differently, does the neutral coin on either the builder or the priest count when determining majorities? (Or is the neutral coin put on the board in the first place? The rules only state that the active play may "take the neutral coin and execute one action for the neutral village" ("die neutrale Münze nehmen und eine Aktion für das neutrale Dorf ausführen").) The answer to this question can have quite some influence on the game, so I'd really like to have this one settled for good.

TIA, Rainer

(EDIT: Change subject for better recognizability, as suggested by Matt from the Campaign to make the Rules Folders more useful. Thanks for the pointer!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2p clarifications
thuki wrote:
Hello there,

I have two clarification questions concerning the 2-player game:

1. In the initial setup, when it says one villager of the third couple is married to the left neighbor's village, the neutral village doesn't count as a "neighbor", right? In my opinion this wouldn't make much sense and we have played it like this so far, so it's just for being really sure. :-)

That is how I have played it. It is not clear, but it makes sense to place the last villager on the other persons village and not the neutral players village. This way there is equal opportunity for this villager to be awakened from the other players Night Watchman actions. Also, the neutral player could be placed to your left or right or behind you or anywhere in the room, so left or right doesn't really apply to the neutral player as they do not have a place in turn order.

thuki wrote:
2. Can the neutral village acquire person tiles? Put differently, does the neutral coin on either the builder or the priest count when determining majorities? (Or is the neutral coin put on the board in the first place? The rules only state that the active play may "take the neutral coin and execute one action for the neutral village" ("die neutrale Münze nehmen und eine Aktion für das neutrale Dorf ausführen").) The answer to this question can have quite some influence on the game, so I'd really like to have this one settled for good.

TIA, Rainer

Based on the translated rules I am going by, I would say the neutral player does not take the character tile. The rules say the neutral player can only be used for one action per round and the rules state that the player takes the neutral player's coin to perform this one action.

The other part of your question is very unclear to me based on the rules. I have played that the neutral player coin is placed on the board (Priest or Builder space) and we have used the neutral player coin to determine if there is a majority. For instance, if Player 1 places one coin on the Priest and the neutral player coin is used on the Priest, then there would be no majority for the Priest tile this round. In any case, the character tile never goes to the neutral player. I have no idea if this the intended way to determine majority in a 2 player game, but that is how I do it. I could just as easily see not placing the neutral player coin at all and determining majority based only on Player 1 and Player 2's coins.

Maybe someone else has some input from the designer or publisher to clarify this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin in Kansas wrote:
thuki wrote:

That is how I have played it. It is not clear, but it makes sense to place the last villager on the other persons village and not the neutral players village. This way there is equal opportunity for this villager to be awakened from the other players Night Watchman actions. Also, the neutral player could be placed to your left or right or behind you or anywhere in the room, so left or right doesn't really apply to the neutral player as they do not have a place in turn order.

Thanks for the confirmation, this was about my line of reasoning as well.

Kevin in Kansas wrote:
thuki wrote:

Based on the translated rules I am going by, I would say the neutral player does not take the character tile. The rules say the neutral player can only be used for one action per round and the rules state that the player takes the neutral player's coin to perform this one action.

Right. The way I've been playing it so far was that the neutral player gets the tile, but of course can't use it for an extra action. That is, we could just as well have put it back on the board, for that matter. What counts is that the previous owner (= a human player) loses the tile and with it the VP and chance of extra action.

Kevin in Kansas wrote:

The other part of your question is very unclear to me based on the rules. I have played that the neutral player coin is placed on the board (Priest or Builder space) and we have used the neutral player coin to determine if there is a majority. For instance, if Player 1 places one coin on the Priest and the neutral player coin is used on the Priest, then there would be no majority for the Priest tile this round. In any case, the character tile never goes to the neutral player. I have no idea if this the intended way to determine majority in a 2 player game, but that is how I do it.

Yes, that's basically how we did it as well, with the additional point that if the one neutral coin was the only coin on the Priest/Builder in that round, the previous owner loses the tile to the neutral player or the board or whatever (as said above).

One point that makes me wonder whether this really was intended by the author is that only the Builder and Priest could be lost (or also "blocked" in case of a tie) that way, never the other tiles.

Kevin in Kansas wrote:

Maybe someone else has some input from the designer or publisher to clarify this?

Yes, anyone? Pleease?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The rules for the 2-player version have been revised and will be available soon.

1. The first answer has been already answered correct. Both players marry into each others village, the neutral village is not counted for that matter.

2. The neutral coin does not interfere at all with the majorities. It is simply not counted for any matter. So, the neutral village can neither claim nor block a personality token.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sebastian! This makes sense to me. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Helm
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
That's a pity, Sebastian! We played it with giving the role tiles to the neutral village, which allowed us interesting moves with that village, and we didn't see any disadvantage to it. Since the neutral village only has 1 coin, it's easy to beat, anyway. Why was it decided this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.