Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben has to deal with some things this morning, and asked me to pinch hit for the poll this week.

Let's continue on the topic of gaming resolutions, but talk about games you've already played:

Poll
Poll: The 176th TGIF Poll

Take a look at your current top 10 games. On average, how many times did you get to play them in 2011?
1-5
6-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
101+
      222 answers
Poll created by DancerInDC

Poll
Now look just at games you have rated a 9.5 or higher (i.e. click on the "10" under your ratings). On average, how many times did you get to play those games in 2011?
1-5
6-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
101+
      210 answers
Poll created by DancerInDC

3. What is your favorite game that you think needs to get the most love in 2012 by getting played more often?

4. Other than getting unplayed games to the table, what are your other gaming resolutions for 2012?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
3) Easily Commands & Colours (certainly if this category also includes the derivative game Battles of Westeros). If I just look at my top 10 games (question 1 from the poll), I should have answered 21-30 if that category hadn't been padded by C&C:Napoleonics. Given that I almost have the Spanish expansion and am waiting for the three other C&C:N expansions, am currently replaying the BoW scenarios with my fiancée and am still only halfway through C&C:A ... yeah, I'll play mostly C&C in the coming year.

4) Getting more games to the table. More in detail: start planning monthly sunday-evening boardgame sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Olympos is a largely undiscovered gem.

My goal in 2012 is to play every game I own at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
d10-1 I played 12 games of games from the top ten, but most of those plays were Brass. The only other top 10 game I played was Puerto Rico a couple of times.

d10-2 I played 25 games of my highest rated games, but those plays are split between Kingdom Builder and Stone Age

d10-3 I see a lot more plays for Kingdom Builder in 2012

d10-4 Maybe try to win a few games occasionally

Edit. I should read the questions a bit more carefully. I thought question 1 was about the BGG top ten not mine. modest

In that case question 1 is well over 60, including around 30 plays of 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We started playing Shogi in December, a game of Shogi or Mini Shogi each day, and I'm delighted by it and wonder what took me so long to get into it. (Well, probably it was the kanji characters on the pieces.) I hope to play more of this wonderful classic game.

I also continue to have vague schemes of toying around with game AI programming for some abstract strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 11-20
2. 31-40

The averages are highly skewed by my 93 plays of Dominion. Without that, they would be depressingly small.

3. Zendo. Outside of Origins, I only played it twice. And Looney Labs won't be at Origins this year, so I won't see a bump in plays there this year.
4. Play more Zendo. And the one game I didn't play at all in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 38.8. Brought up by Magic for Gathering at over 200! Most of them are played between 8 and 20 times, apart from Race for the Galaxy at 62.

2. 35.6. All my top 10 games are rated 10, along with four other games, if you don't count expansions. Princes of Florence lets down the side with only 5 plays this year - it used to be pretty much my favourite game back about 8 years ago, but I think now it's getting to the stale stage and should maybe be dropped to a 9.

3. Not counting new games which I'm all excited about, I'd have to go for the crayon rails games (eg. Empire Builder) and Fauna. The former we have several versions of, but only really play each individual map once or twice a year. Fauna is one of my favourite lighter games, but my husband hates it with a passion, so I struggle to get it to the table. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to play it!

4. Try out more of my games collection as 2 player games with my husband, especially the new games, and write corresponding reviews.
Introduce my children to at least one new board game a month.
Actively reduce our collection by about a hundred games by trading and selling the ones we never play - rather than just sticking them in the garage and forgetting about them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
On #3 - I need to play Twilight Struggle more than once in 2012!

Otherwise, I don't do resolutions, gaming or otherwise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Q2

I didn't vote here. My favourite games are all rated 9. I don't expect to ever rate anything '10'

Note: That's just how I use the ratings. I'm not saying there are no 10s out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
DancerInDC wrote:
3. What is your favorite game that you think needs to get the most love in 2012 by getting played more often?

Acquire. Being the 50th anniversary, and all...

Quote:
4. Other than getting unplayed games to the table, what are your other gaming resolutions for 2012?

Since I finished 2011 without any unplayed games (and in fact with no games in my collection I hadn't played three times), that's not one of my resolutions.

My resolutions for 2012 are:

* Play every game I own (currently 287)

* Play Acquire 50+ times.

* Play Bridge 64+ times.

* Play (or discard) all new-to-me games within 3 months of receiving them.

* Play (or discard) all new-to-me games I enjoy a second time within 6 months of the first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Arkham Horror for sure.

Get into wargaming; either by finding a gaming group or convincing my friends to take a break from D&D to try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't quite sure how to answer the poll. I did come to a rough average of my fave games by totalling those plays and dividing by 10. The 100+ answer threw me off as I was thinking total at first.

So, my 10 favorite games I probably played 6 times each, on average. Crokinole helped boost that up.

Double Some'R'Set - my favorite trick taking game. I did get to play it 11 times in 2011 but it wasn't enough. The more I play the more I want to play.

I have a couple...

First one is to make my portable, toss on a existing tabletop, poker table a permanent table. It's too nice to be sitting around collecting dust but it's too big to top my existing tables. This leads into my second resolution which is starting a second game night during the week. The new table will give me two full size tables to game on (plus two more portable tables. I have my regular group but there are a lot of other folks in my area that I know through gaming that I enjoy gaming with. I tried doing this at a local bar but because of extenuating reasons, it ended after a few months. So, I'm going to try again but host it at my home. It comes down to the day and picking the frequency (and most of all, being consistent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:

BattleLore! The setup time is what usually holds us back from getting it on the table after work.

DancerInDC wrote:

I've started logging plays, because statistics are fun! I hope it helps us thin out the game collection a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really doesn't help that my three 10s are Antiquity (at best in my life a 5-a-year game), die Macher (at best a 1-a-year game) and World Cup Game (would get at least half a dozen plays a year in the UK but here I don't have the right friends for it).

So yeah, bummer. Still, plenty of well-played 8s and 9s to keep me happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Chess (10) ~80plays
#2: Empires in Arms (10) 0
#3: Power Grid (9.5) 15
#4: Hansa Teutonica (9) 18
#5: Dominion ~50
#6: CC: Europe 4
#7: Troyes 8
#8: Mythos 0
#9: Bridge 0
#10: Lost Valley 3

Average # plays is ~17, but only ~9 without Chess.

Combat Commander

I have a list of 30-40 games that I am on the fence about keeping. I want to play as many as possible so as to make an informed decision. Since I don't play games as a chore, I need to find good times to get them to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3 two games immediately come to mind. The first is Space Alert which I have trouble getting to the table because of the CD and because I usually need to start over with the tutorials every time. The other is Here I Stand because it's hard to get 6 experienced players together for the time required.

For #4, other than getting unplayed games to the table, my only other resolution is to sell off 20-30 games that I no longer play because I need the shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get my #1 game back to the table more often, which is Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Also, my resolution is to play at least once a week and go to a major convention this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 1-5 in both catagories as I ended up aquiring and playing a lot of new games last year... (4)I'm resolving to focus on the games I already have an love this year and get them all some more plays.

(3) One I need to particularly focus on getting to the table more is Hansa Teutonica. My gaming buddy who loved the game almost as much as I do moved to a new town and without his added enthusiasm I've had trouble getting it on the table. We've added a couple of more mechanically oriented folks back into the group so I think if I can get them to play a time or two this can get back to being a bi-weekly staple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You forgot 0 (zero) as an option in both polls. Matters for me mostly with the second question as I don't rate any game a 10 as I expect my opinion of a game to change with time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. If it weren't for Dominion, which always manages quite a few plays, my numbers would have been much lower.

On the other hand, I don't feel particularly bad about low number here, because:

• Some of my top games are longer wargames, and I'm pretty happy if I can get, say, two plays of a title in during a year.
• I think I tend to enjoy variety, and new games, over playing just my top games over and over.

That second one seems to be a little at odds with rating one game above another. I guess I prefer to see the ratings as more like, die roll modifiers.

"What game shall we play? Well, let's roll 1D10+(game rating), and whichever one wins, we'll play."

Not that I've ever done that. Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. My top 10 - which likely needs some looking at/updating was in the 1 to 5 plays bucket.

2. My 10's - are in the 5 to 10 bucket. I did try to get these out more often last year, and it worked.

3. Favorite game which needs more love in 2012 - I'll name 2

a. Auf Achse - I need to break the shrinkwrap on my copy and learn how to print out the artscow cards in English.

b. Medieval Merchant - I sought it out, got my copy and it taunts me from the game closet.

4. Gaming resolutions

a. Play more of the games that I really enjoy.

b. Play more games while enjoying a cold beer (requires more game sessions/days outside the FLGS)

c. Purge 10% of my collection twice during the year. I know that means 20%, but I need to do 2 cuts, can't bring myself to purge so much at all once.

d. Attend the Gaming Hooplas www.gaminghoopla.com , GLG and hopefully Gen Con this year.

e. Have fun and see what games across the tables during the year.

f. Help Omen: A Reign of War reach it's Kickstarter goal - we need you to check out this pretty neat 2p game which should appeal to anyone who likes something like Battleline or any of the Living Card Games that Fantasy Flight has out out (Warhammer, Call of Cthulu, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was a dismal average of 0.8 plays per game. The most (and the only one more than once) was Wallenstein (first edition), I got to play that one 3 times. I taught some friends once and they liked it so much we played another session after the first.

Chess.
It's one of my 8 "10"s and a game I grew up loving, but I haven't played it in 3 years. Criminal. The reason is that I usually play it with my brother and father over the holidays, but over the past few years I've been introducing them to newer games. Time to show this one some more love though.

Play My 10s. Play some of my "10"s that haven't gotten played recently (so, not all of them):
1. Chess - (last played 3 years ago)
2. Mission: Red Planet - (last played 2 years ago)
3. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - (last played 1.3 years ago)
4. Hansa Teutonica - (last played ~1 year ago)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3...Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
It turns out that my answer for both of the poll questions is identical because I only have 10 games that I rate a 9.5 or higher. Those games are:

Top 10
#1: Tigris & Euphrates
#2: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
#3: Hansa Teutonica
#4: Puerto Rico
#5: Race for the Galaxy
#6: Dominion
#7: Caylus
#8: Le Havre
#9: Goa
#10: Trajan

3) The game I especially want to get to the table more this year is Hansa Teutonica. It plays in about 60-90 minutes, and my kids like it pretty well, so I think that getting on 2012's dime list is achievable. I also have the expansion map that I'm looking forward to trying out. I would also say Through the Ages, but I'll be lucky if I get more than a couple plays of that in this year, especially since I've just given my oldest son Sid Meier's Civilization board game, which he adores.

4) I've had other resolutions in past years (in 2010 I played a different game every day for the year), but this year, which promises to be a busy one, I'm just hoping to get 50+ games off of my "only ever played once" list with additional plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
3. Cosmic Encounter. By far my favorite game right now and I have had a bit of a struggle getting it to the table. It fell flat with two members of my regular group, so I tend to not bring it there. When I have special game nights (Guy's Night Gaming, holiday gaming) it will get brought out. So I either need to have more game nights that will include that game or take another shot with my regular group.

4. I'm resolving to take different approaches to games. While I'm always trying to win, I want to see how many different strategies some of the games I play can handle. I will try to take bigger risks. And, you know, I'm going to stop losing so damn much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.