Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie rule interpretation help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob riddle
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I just played my first game of Twilight Struggle last night,and it is an incredible game but also a whole lot to take in. I have a question about card mandated influence markers. If a card event mandates the placement of influence markers do the rules of friendly force adjacentcy(boundaries) apply, and more importantly, does it still cost two influence points to place one influence point in an enemy controlled country? Please help....this one was driving my GF and I crazy last night, and it is a very important rule to have clarification on.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ringblom
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If the card says "place 1 influence in Country X" you can place 1 influence there no matter where you and your opponent has influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that influence points distributed by events do NOT follow the normal rules of adjacency or placement cost. Events are special, tumultuous things, and don't follow the general rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the italicized Exception in 6.1.1 on page 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if the card says "The US may Conduct Operations as if he played a 4 Ops card", then it's still subject to all those rules you described. But when it says "Place X influence", that is not subject to the placing-influence rules for operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob riddle
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Gotcha. Thanks folks....I really appreciate it, and I am glad that we actually did end up interpreting correctly last night. I am sure that I will probably be back to ask more questions as we play a couple times this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob riddle
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am very glad that you posted this because we may have actually missed this one and played these types of cards without considering placing rules. Well now we know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.