2 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Tournament of Catan! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Mem
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having read a couple of the reports by people who have attended National tournaments I'm interested in taking part in something somewhere. How can I find out about local/regional/national tournaments? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm UK based and probably not going to threaten the leaderboard. It would just be nice to try flexing my Catan muscles against a bunch of strangers!

I'm also interested in what rules are used in tournaments, any time limits on turns and whether any etiquette needs to be adhered to.

Cheers,

BobMem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help on the UK part, but for in the USA, Mayfair puts out an e-newsletter that list all the tournaments (along with other news). As far as the tournaments go, the rules are exactly as written. No house rule like "no robber on 1st round". No formal etiquette either, but you will probably find less trading.

As far as the tournaments themselves, they are usually multiple days and you play 4 games a round to advance. Most important is winning and then 2nd is scoring the most points you can when you don't win. In those 4 games you will play each position (1st player, 2nd, 3rd & 4th) and if enough players, different players in each game.

YMMV, but at least those are my opinions from winning the 2008 World Championship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.