Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow New Brunswick Board Gamers,

I am happy to announce that the Great Canadian Board Game Blitz will be happening at Comunicon Games Festival in Fredericton, on February 11th from 10am - 6pm. The tournament is an all-day, multi-round, non-elimination tournament. The top-ranked player will receive a day pass to FanExpo 2012 to participate in the 2012 GCBGB National Finals! I'd like to thank Raymond Saulnier for organizing and hosting this local blitz championship.

So.. how does it work? Each round, players select which games they'd like to play in some order (randomly at first, and then by accumulated points). Everyone then plays their selected games simultaneously and earns a number of points based on the rank they achieved in the game. After a certain number of rounds, the player with the most tournament points is the winner.

Previous participants have told me that the GCBGB feels a lot like "organized open gaming". The games are played competitively, of course, but organizers (and most participants) are open to explaining games to newcomers and answering questions that arise throughout the games. Since it is a blitz, the games are often shorter Euro-style games like, e.g., Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, San Juan, Roll through the Ages, Saint Petersburg, Dominion, Power Grid, Tigris and Euphrates, etc.

Details about the tournament format can be found on our web site; Questions? Email us or post a follow-up to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the Facebook event:

http://www.facebook.com/events/321985974500633/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games list now available!

http://www.gcbgb.ca/GamesList-Comunicon.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You're the bomb and you got a dope soul and hella ethics.
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mb
I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:

SEVEN games per round!?

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mb
ccmonter wrote:
sharky6000 wrote:

SEVEN games per round!?

Nice!

laugh Not likely!

From GCBGB.ca:

Quote:
Detailed Example
There are 5 rounds. All players play every round (no elimination). The game list chosen ahead of time, with around 5-6 games per round. These are the games the players can choose from each round. There are a few example game lists from previous events; as an example, suppose we are playing with the CanGames 2010 game list.

Every round there is a certain number of players and an order of which players choose games in. In the first round, this order is determined randomly. Normally we use a deck of cards with a chosen order.

In order, players choose which game they would like to play from the ones available. There are 7 games in the list for the first round and suppose 18 players. We try to keep each game as close to 4 players as possible. With 18 players, the referee could choose a maximum of 5 games (3 games of 4 playes, 2 games of 3 players) or 4 games (2 games of 5 players, 2 games of 4 players). In this case we'd likely go with 3 of 4 and 2 of 3 because two games are off by the ideal number of 4, there's more selection, and 5-player games often take too long. So let's say we do that, and we use Round 1 from the example game list above.

Suppose these are the choices of the players: the first player in the order chooses Bohnanza. Second player has the choice to pick Bohnanza or any other game on the list, they choose Citadels. Third, Citadels. Fourth, Dominion. Fifth, San Juan. Sixth also chooses San Juan. All the games are still open (not reached their maximums) and one more game can still be chosen from the list since 4 have already been opened and it was decided above that 5 games would be played. Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth players all choose Bohnanza. Bohnanza is now closed since it has reached 4 players. The tenth player chooses Ingenious. Since this is the fifth game chosen from the list, the game maximum for this round has been reached; the eleventh player and on may not choose Roll through the Ages nor Three-Dragon Ante because 5 games have now been picked (they must choose among the games that are still open: Citadels, Dominion, San Juan, and Ingenious). When a game reaches 4 players, it becomes closed. The last two open games will each have 3 players.

A round consist of all the players playing the games they chose simultaneously. At the end of the game, everyone earns points based on their finishing rank in each game and how long the round was (see scoresheets for details).

The second round is a special case. Since some people may have been unlucky in their random draw, the order in which games are chosen for the second round is the reverse of the order of the first round. From round 3 on, game selection at the start of each round goes by highest accumulate points to lowest. The first tie-breaker is number of games won. The second tie-breaker is number of games where one player finished ahead of the other. The third tie-breaker is random.

At the end of the 5 rounds, the player with the highest cumulative point total is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Travis,

Actually, Christian is quite familiar with the format. He has played in a few blitzes. He also designed the BGG micro badge and has helped me with publicity for some Ontario blitzes.

But I think you're saying that you're not likely going to get 28 people? Well.. the FB event has 12 signed up and 24 maybes. So.. here's to hoping! meeple

Edit: let's not forget the 91 still invited and people who just show up at the con. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sharky6000 wrote:
But I think you're saying that you're not likely going to get 28 people? Well.. the FB event has 12 signed up and 24 maybes. So.. here's to hoping! meeple

I was thinking he might not understand the formatting, not realizing he had done some before.

I only read that today for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, no worries, it's useful to have up here too so thanks for posting it.

He posted because the only ever time we've had more than 6 games per round on the list was at the 2011 finals where we had 8 games per round. So, a 28-person max is quite big.

The blitz has been attracting more and more people, and that is awesome. One was run in Victoria, BC this past weekend for the first time and got 23+. The previous blitzes in NB and NS have been well-received, so I'm anticipating a good turnout for a first appearance in Fredericton. Too bad I live in Toronto because I'd love to be there. Thanks Raymond for running it! And Josh, Jordan, and Tom for helping with the games! You guys are awesome.

And to all the participants, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
Actually, Christian is quite familiar with the format. He has played in a few blitzes. He also designed the BGG micro badge and has helped me with publicity for some Ontario blitzes.

Yes, my response was not exactly clear.
I was happily impressed that there was a possibility of a 28-person GCBGB.

The Blitz is a great event and it seems to be growing at each stop across the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys there's some changes coming to the games list as some people who were providing can't make it and whatnot, I'll follow up on this when the list is finalized (tonight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan contacted me with the changes and I've remade the games list PDF. Reload the link above to see what has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sharky6000 wrote:
Jordan contacted me with the changes and I've remade the games list PDF. Reload the link above to see what has changed.

Still shows the old list for me fyi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Travis, thanks. Yeah.. you may have to nuke your browser's cache before the new one loads. Sorry, totally should have mentioned that.. thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally there! See you cats on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Packin' er up.
See ya'll tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wish I could make it. Have fun guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Quimper
Canada
Fredericton
New-Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone (especially Ray for running it all and Jordan and the other guy whose name I forget for bringing your games), I had a great time!

Looking forward to the next one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what Mathieu said!

Had a great time. Big thanks to Ray and everyone else who helped organize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you all had fun! If any of you took pics, can you please send'em my way? (contact is on the web site) I'd love to post them on our Facebook page.

Again a HUGE thanks to Raymond for organizing and running the blitz and donating prizes! And to all the people who provided the games; you guys are the best!

I'm currently talking to the Animaritime organizers about having another blitz in Moncton this July.. it's not a done deal yet but when plans are finalized I'll post it here and announce it via web/FB/Twitter... so stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mquimper wrote:
Thanks everyone (especially Ray for running it all and Jordan and the other guy whose name I forget for bringing your games), I had a great time!

Looking forward to the next one!

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are now up:

http://www.gcbgb.ca/GCBGB-Comunicon-results.pdf

Congrats to the champion Adam Richard with 31 points, and 2nd and 3rd place: Patrick Reinartz (30 pts) and Al Oram (29 pts)!!

Photos will be posted on our Facebook page soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j l
Canada
Saint john
flag msg tools
thanks for the great comment looking forword to hopefully make moncton this year sory i mised you all in fred congrats to the winners and thanks for the great comment if ray doent fell like running at blitzs at march to oblivion next year I look into it and thats for the great comment marc hope to be a part and hopefully win one so i can goto nataionls hopefully see you in halfax this year planing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.