Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Wargaming tangent thread - post here to contribute to the ultimate heat death of the universe! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so crazy that it ... just might work!

fnord

KING FELIX

Edit to add wargame: Labyrinth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a wargame!

How many tactical WWII wargames can one man own? All of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Today (Jan. 6) is the Orthodox Church's Christmas.

Boy, I hate the Dallas Cowboys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue!

Not Case Blue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Ok I'll get the ball rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Shit you guys are fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does derailing a derailed discussion put it back on track (perhaps re-railing it?)?

I, too, am an ABC fan.

wifwendell wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Today (Jan. 6) is the Orthodox Church's Christmas.

They suck, but, whats worse are the

NEW YoRK JEsTS

Absolutely no excuse for this bunch of big mouth cry baby losers!! shake

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I Fucking Hate them!

How I'm doing? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes all of your arguments invalid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, now we're going to see a thread chit-chatted.

Chits are dumb. Why doesn't every game come with plastic minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever notice that its hard to open a jar of spaghetti with spider tenacles devoid of opposing digits?

I once setup a game of Panzer Leader and finshed with a bad D100 roll for dexterity and electronics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

I once setup a game of Panzer Leader and finshed with a bad D100 roll for dexterity and electronics.

Just...I...wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Anyone who's scientifically inclined knows that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a bitch. It states that over time, the amount of entropy (i.e., disorder) in the universe must irreversibly increase. To assist in the noble cause of keeping certain threads on-track, thus controlling their entropy levels, I've created this thread as an entropy bucket. The more disorder that we can generate in here, will allow for more order to be applied elsewhere.

As a scientist (with a chemistry degree) and a pedant, I have to challenge this statement. Mostly because Professor Van Hecke, my statistical thermodynamics instructor, used to call us out on this one in class.

Besides, this seems like just the thread for a tangential nit-pick.

Entropy is not "the amount of disorder in a system." Disorder, by itself, isn't measureable. And it really doesn't make sense in a study of thermodynamics. Entropy, instead, is the number of potential micro-states in a system. When we say that entropy increases what we mean is that the number of available molecular configurations has gone up.

A micro-example helps to illustrate the phenomenon. Say we have a box that has been partitioned into two parts, and there are four molecules in the box. The molecules can either be in the left hand side of the box, or the right hand side of the box. This leads to 16 (2^4) microstates in the system.

Now say that the box is partitioned into three parts. The entropy of the system has increased, as there are now 81 microstates available (3^4). There's no more disorder in the system. There's just more available states for the molecules to be in.

We now return to your regularly scheduled weird tangents.

(Oh, and as a Mariner fan, I appreciate Mr. Myers note of King Felix. He's the best, we love him, and no, you can't have him.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Anyone who's scientifically inclined knows that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a bitch. It states that over time, the amount of entropy (i.e., disorder) in the universe must irreversibly increase. To assist in the noble cause of keeping certain threads on-track, thus controlling their entropy levels, I've created this thread as an entropy bucket. The more disorder that we can generate in here, will allow for more order to be applied elsewhere.

So, whenever you have the urge to derail a thread, feel free to come on over here and let loose. The more noise the better. The only rule is that your post has to finish on a completely different topic than what it started with.

Nebelwerfers!

I have good news. The increase of entropy is a law of thermodynamics. However, classical thermodynamics -- developed in the nineteenth century, and the type which people (scientists, engineers, biologists, lay people) are most familiar with is thermodynamics of equilibrium systems. The twentieth century, however, saw the development of non-equilibrium thermodynamics, pioneered by people like de Donder and Prigogine. Non-equilibrium thermodynamics comes to a very different conclusion. Whereas equilibrium thermodynamics has established a connection between entropy and the increase of disorder, non-equilibrium thermodynamics does just the opposite. In systems 'far from equilibrium', the increase of entropy is associated with the increase of order. The Earth, of course, is in a non-equilibrium environment -- hence, the development of life, and its increased complexity over time, would be a natural consequence of the laws of non-equilibrium thermodynamics. The best accessible explanation of this is in the book "Order Out of Chaos" by Prigogine and Stengers. I recommend it to every thinking person (which wargamers tend to be).

What about the universe itself? Is it subject to the laws of equilibrium or non-equilibrium thermodynamics? At first cast, one would blurt out, "equilibrium, of course" -- because that's the simplest way of thinking about it. However, it's not necessarily true. To put it another way, we really don't know the boundary conditions of the universe. A white hole, for instance -- and you could think of the Big Bang as a cosmological white hole -- contributes towards a non-equilibrium environment. Another way to think of it is this: if the universe was born in a Big Bang, it was born with a massively low entropy. If there will never again be a white hole, cosmological or not, or anything like a white hole, then yes, the universe will eventually run down -- although the entropy of the universe today is only the tiniest, tiniest fraction of the maximum entropy possible. In other words, civilization-- human or otherwise, galactic and inter-galactic in scope -- could continue to develop for hundreds of millions, billions, of years before any thermodynamic limitations kick in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis Khan's massacres were environment-friendly
"One estimate suggests that 40 million people died during his murderous reign, with his armies sweeping across central Asia and what is now Russia.

According the Carnegie Institution's department of global ecology, a side effect of trees replacing farmland was to remove 700 million tonnes of carbon from the atmosphere, thus cooling the planet." wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, who is King Felix?

KING FELIX is a literary reference left to an enterprising reader to discover....

No, the answer has nothing to do with 42. Well, almost nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
To assist in the noble cause of keeping certain threads on-track, thus controlling their entropy levels, I've created this thread as an entropy bucket. The more disorder that we can generate in here, will allow for more order to be applied elsewhere.

Great idea. Could who ever's looking after Calandale today, usher him in here please (I've lost the rota).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Did you ever notice that its hard to open a jar of spaghetti with spider tenacles devoid of opposing digits?

You can get spaghetti in jars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

You can get spaghetti in jars?

Things are different on his planet (in case you hadn't guessed).

You can also get jam in doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Once had a fish
That was out of water
Had become a dish
in the paws of an otter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Doesn't every thinking person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Doesn't every thinking person?

This thread is getting too orderly....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
The Earth, of course, is in a non-equilibrium environment -- hence, the development of life, and its increased complexity over time, would be a natural consequence of the laws of non-equilibrium thermodynamics. The best accessible explanation of this is in the book "Order Out of Chaos" by Prigogine and Stengers. I recommend it to every thinking person (which wargamers tend to be).

Except, of course, for non-equilibrium thermodynamics to work you have to dump a bunch of energy in the system. For Earth to be a non-equilibrium environment you have to have the Sun, which fuels all the life on the planet by providing that huge energy source.

Note that running the Sun is a large exercise in increasing entropy, which dwarfs the decreasing entropy on Earth from life-bearing biochemical activities.

(I'll take the point on boundary conditions of the universe, however, which is an excellent one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
Er, who is King Felix?

KING FELIX is a literary reference left to an enterprising reader to discover....

No, the answer has nothing to do with 42. Well, almost nothing.
King Felix or Königs Felix is obviously me with 7-inch armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Note that the purpose of this thread will only work if the Wargames subforum is a closed, isolated system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.