Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim

It is intentional in the game system that one could have a negative fire result?

For example, if I have a (-)7 total in fire table modifiers and roll a "1" on a die roll.... the result is minus 6. The game system does not cap anything below zero from what I read in the rules. This can make a big difference if you are determining if there is a casualty reduction or not if the result is minus 6 or zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so, otherwise it means I've been playing wrong, and I dont like finding out I've been playing wrong

Actually, the way we do it we rarely have negatives, but the effect is the same. We figure out what the max die roll we can get that is still effective. So, in your example, if I am a Ger squad op firing at an adj Am squad, then I need to roll 11 or less for effective fire (4 base firepower +3 firing adj +4 target moving in open). If I can add the target's first casualty rating to my die roll and still be at 11 or less then it is flipped and fully suppressed. If I can add the 2nd it is eliminated.

So, mainly I hope going below zero is not a problem because otherwise it'd mean I'd have to abandon my system because figuring out where zero is with it would be a major pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Jim, but I think it's pretty safe to say that negative results are indeed allowed in the game. That's what makes moving adjacent to even a weak squad so dangerous (the -7 you mentioned). A squad with fire power of 4 with a -7 modifier and a die roll of 2 equals lots of dead soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, negative numbers are allowed. Joshua, you can relax. Jeff is dead on. They are an important part of the system.

To avoid having to do math with negative numbers, many players do it Joshua's way. For example, instead of subtracting 7 from the die roll, they add 7 to the firepower. So, firepower of 5, I roll a 4, and the result is -3. Does that eliminate the unit. That's the way it is in the rules. To avoid having to do math with negative numbers it becomes: Firepower of 5 plus 7 so my firepower is 12. I roll a 4 and it is easy to see that the unit is eliminated (the roll of 4 is 8 less than 12).

This is similar to the whole road movement rate discussion. I'm an engineer by original training and never gave the negative numbers a second thought (just like I never gave 2/3 a second thought). However, negative numbers do confuse some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this very same question. Understood that a lack of a rule preventing modified negative die rolls implies it is possible. But it still would be nice if it were explicitly stated (maybe in the next printing). I personally prefer rules that explicitly state constraints, or lack thereof, instead of forcing me to deduce them. In the end I deduced correctly, but the fact that a die roll of 10 automatically misses gave me pause... then is there a low end constraint as well? It wasn't stated, so no, but I was a bit uncertain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going fwd in the system from Ghost Panzer, all of the modifiers have had their sign inverted and now modify firepower instead of the die roll, so there is no longer negative numbers. There is also an auto-hit on a 1 now, so you always have at least a 10% chance of missing and a 10% chance of hitting. Check out the new rules and designer notes posted in the GP files section for details.

I dont know what this means for future printings of Screaming Eagles, but I suspect it'll be upgraded to the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.