Subject: Rationale behind $5M large city building rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorin Maletsky

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started playing this game and the $5M to build into a large city rule seems odd. Frequently I'd be building a track to a major city and then one or two mile posts from getting there I'd pick up the crayon and just complete the track starting from the city. In reading the forums it seems like people rarely build into large cities except at game end or due to events.

So why include the rule at all?

For instance, the designers could have allowed a player to only build two tracks from large cities each turn regardless (effectively never requiring a player to build into a large city) or include the $5M cost but not allow free builds from a major city unless you are already in the city (in other words you would have to continue from your existing track and incorporate large cities like you do small and medium cities). Seems like these rules might be a bit more logical and easier to explain.

I'm not really complaining since it hasn't affected game play for me, I'm just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I guess the idea is that you can build out of a Major city for free, but only twice. If you REALLY need to build three or more times to/from a Major City, it'll cost you extra. I've never seen it done, but I suppose there are some weird cases where this might come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep people from blocking off most of the routes into a major city purely for purposes of being mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
To keep people from blocking off most of the routes into a major city purely for purposes of being mean.

Exactly this.

Major cities, because they are required for the win, are a choke-point. If you build all/most routes out of a major city, you can prevent other players from ever being able to complete the game and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, fairness of opportunity to get better routes. This is even more true when you play with 4-6 players. There are certain paths that are shortest/cheapest to build track.. (into and out of NY has only a couple best avenues). The "two tracks OUT of a major city per turn" rule prevents people from mass grabbing all the better routes, unless they are willing to pay a prohibitive cost.

If you are playing with only 2 or 3 players typically, you will rarely see the relevance.

As an FYI, the rules specifically forbid building into/out of major cities such that other players could never get in. Thus, any player buidling to a major city milepost has to leave at least as many possible paths in as there are players not yet in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maletsky wrote:
I've just started playing this game and the $5M to build into a large city rule seems odd...

Permits, eminent domain, litigation, injunctions, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It serves to put teeth into the "only two builds per turn out of major city mileposts" rule while allowing exceptions at a cost (you can always build in for the third one as long as you don't mind paying extra.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Maletsky

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. This seems to make more sense now and in a 3-4 player game I can see how it would be much more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.