Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
There have been a number of people who have wondered how to pace a solo game or have been struggling to complete the objectives. What I would like to do is Mod a game for one of those struggling players on the forum. All the hands would be posted openly and turns will be available for discussion by the community. Final turns would be up to the actual player though. The first player who puts in for this will be accepted. Please do not put in for this unless you are actually having trouble with the solo game.

Player Turns should be posted in bold by the actual player
Suggested Turns should be posted in italics by anyone
Please keep commentary and discussions civil.

The Player can choose whichever Knight they wish, the dummy player will be chosen randomly by me.

Movement direction can be noted with NW, NE, E, SE, SW, W. North is up on the map.

Source die will be rolled by the geekroller with:
1custom6{iid:1197625;iid:1197624;iid:1197623;iid:1197622;iid:1197621;iid:1197620}
You can edit the first number in the line to change the number of dice rolled.
When rolling dice please put what you are rolling for in the "Comment (Optional)" section of the Geekroller

I will track all relevant information and post updates after each turn.
Map Tile updates will have to be when I am at home, but enemies I can post from anywhere when encountered at sites.
You MUST own a copy of the game. There will be NO card text or unit text.

example of the tiles:

Example of the Status Update:

| Advanced Action Offer | Spell Offer | Unit Offer | Skill Offer |
| Magic Talent | Mana Meltdown | Herbalists/3/VM | Resistance Break|
| Refreshing Walk | Call to Arms | Guardian Golems/7/KT | Freezing Power |
| Regeneration | Energy Flow | Illusionists/7/TM | Forward March |
| Guardian Golems/7/KT | Dark Paths |

| Goldyx 3 Armor / 5 Cards | Norowas 3 Armor / 5 Cards | Tovak 3 Armor / 5 Cards | Arythea 3 Armor / 5 Cards |
| Red, Green | White, Green | Red | White |

| Goldyx Units | Norowas Units | Tovak Units | Arythea Units |
| | | | |
| Utem Guardsmen | Foresters | | |

| Goldyx Skills | Norowas Skills | Tovak Skills | Arythea Skills |
|Glittering Fortune| Leaves in the Wind| I Feel No Pain | Dark Negotiation |

| Goldyx Tactic | Norowas Tactic | Tovak Tactic | Arythea Tactic |
| 2-Rethink | 4-Planning | 3 Mana Steal | 1-Early Bird |

Strikethrough indicates that the item is exhausted.
A Red Unit is wounded.
A Green and Red Unit is wounded and poisoned (2 wounds).
The Unit offer shows Unit Name / Recruitment Cost / Recruitment Location
V=Village : K=Keep : T=Mage Tower : M=Monastary : C=City
Action cards in the unit offer are available from the Monastary

Moderator:
CMoor213

Player:
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will not participate, since I already play in the PBF game, and don't feel I am a player who has trouble with the solo game (well, not yet anyway). But I will watch and comment with great interest !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, I'd be happy to offer any advice I might be able to think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Why are some of the offers colored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Why are some of the offers colored?

The Advanced Tactic and Spell ones have all colors (though some are "white" and hard to see the colored background). The one in the unit is another advanced tactic.

I'm guessing the colors are the mana color for the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Ahh, I didn't see the white, hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If there are no takers by Monday I will open it up to anyone. I think that regardless of who the player is, this would be a valuable exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
If there are no takers by Monday I will open it up to anyone. I think that regardless of who the player is, this would be a valuable exercise.

I would like to try this. I am able to win a solo game but only just barely on the last round and I can never get beyond a fame in the 70s. I would like to learn how to improve my game. I've never tried anything like this online so you would have to be patient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woohoo! As soon as you let me know what Knight you would like to play I will get everything set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
Woohoo! As soon as you let me know what Knight you would like to play I will get everything set-up.

In the 4 solo games I've played I have only used Goldyx. Since I am most familiar with him I guess I will use him again. However, I can use any Knight you wish if the community would like to see a different one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Round 1, Turn 1
Welcome to the solo game learning extravaganza! The purpose here is to help the number of solo players that have been struggling to complete the scenario. Please keep comments polite. How to comment is listed in the OP.
This game features: Goldyx (played by ioticus) vs Arythea (Dummy)

Board:

Fame:

Source:
Source Dice 3custom6{iid:1197625;iid:1197624;iid:1197623;iid:1197622;iid:1197621;iid:1197620} -> ( iid:1197624 iid:1197625 iid:1197623) ->
[+]

| Advanced Action Offer | Spell Offer | Unit Offer | Skill Offer |
| Heroic Tale | Space Bending | Herbalists/3/VM | |
| In Need | Whirlwind | Northern Monks/7/2/M |
| Blood Ritual | Chill | Herbalists/3/1/VM |
| Frost Bridge |

| 2 Armor / 5 Cards | Units | Skills | Tactic |
| | | | |

Current Hand:
(B) Stamina, (B) Promise, (B) Swiftness, (B) Crystallize, (B) March

Need tactic selection for Goldyx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 79328. CMoor213
  • 3custom6{iid:1197625;iid:1197624;iid:1197623;iid:1197622;iid:1197621;iid:1197620} =
  • ( iid:1197624 iid:1197625 iid:1197623) =
  • iid:1197624 iid:1197625 iid:1197623
  • Source Dice
  • Sat Jan 7, 2012 11:28 pm
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take The Right Moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some quick early thoughts:

Whirlwind and Chill are excellent spells. It's possible we could get chill, but it we may not be able to hit a mage tower on day one, and then we will lose it to the dummy player. I would try really hard to pick up whirlwind though before it goes away - it is good in all phases of the game, against cities and against other high powered enemies.

We've got a monastery on the first tile, so we could think about buying advanced actions and other things. We've also got Promise in our first hand, so now I'm definitely trying to figure out how to use it. Frost Bridge is not my favorite movement action, but it's not terrible. We could think about buying that with promise. I'm also considering using our first level up to buy heroic tale, and then using that to buy the monks.

whenever I see orcs by a glade I try to think if it's reasonable that I could trigger that fight from the glade - it gives me the flexibility to take a wound or two plus a boosted followup turn from the gold mana. If the monastery wasn't attractive, I might try to come around to the village, maybe buy some herbalists, and then hit those orcs from the glade.

If possible I like to save a Swiftness on day one to go with a Concentration so I can get a ranged attack five - there's a lot of orcs you can take down with that, although unfortunately neither of the ones on this board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arythea has drawn the Great Start tactic
Arythea flips (B) Rage, (B) Stamina, (B) Determination
No Blue Crystals
Arythea Turn Over

You are up. No rush on any given turn. My goal is 1 turn every 24hrs, which gives plenty of time for input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The orcs by the blue mine are tempting. My first thought is an easy-going turn 1 and 2, moving to the blue mine on turn 1, crystallizing on turn 2, hitting the first orcs on turn 3, then turn 4 either moving to the monastery or hitting the second orcs depending on our hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice analysis Scott. My first reaction is to move to the blue mine using March (boosted by green mana) and Crystallize sideways for 5 movement. I would take another turn using the Right Moment and kill the orc with Swiftness (boosted by white mana) and take 2 wounds. I want to try to get to the monastery so I can buy Frost Bridge or maybe recruit an Herbalist. I found Frost Bridge to be invaluable in one game where it let me travel fast enough so I was able to win before I ran out of time. I find getting a few mobility cards in the beginning to be important.

My general strategy in the first 3 rounds has always been to blitz across the map as fast as possible in an attempt to reveal at least one city, only stopping to kill rampaging enemies or take over a Mage site to get some attack spells. Even using that strategy, though, I usually run out of time.

I'm sorry the dummy got Great Start and think maybe I should have chosen that right away like I usually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think easy going turns aiming for the blue mine and then taking out the orcs on the way to the monastery to recruit (and possibly burn) is a good idea.

On that basis I'd have taken Planning as it would come into play most turns at the start. That one extra card can make a massive difference sometimes.

I don't really rate Crystalise so I'd ditch it for move 1 along with a powered March to get to the mine on turn 1, then drawing 3 cards. I usually like to keep a green mana in the source if I can so I can power Tranquility at some point in round 1 but we can't really do that here. Besides, we have In Need and Heroic Tale in the offer so we can always take one of them and get healed at the monastery.

On turn 2, even if we then draw nothing useful we'll have a white mana in the source and a swiftness to kill the orcs with. Whether I'd block or not depends on the cards we draw keeping in mind we may be fighting an Ironclad next turn. We'll then get a second blue mana.

The blue mana will at the very least help get us to the monastery with Promise still in hand. Hopefully we can take care of the other orcs on the way so even an unpowered promise will be able to net us a herbalists. I think they're one of the best units in the game when you take cost into account.

Normally it's not possible to plan so many turns ahead in a game so the fact that we can here is very nice. The only thing we really have to be wary of is Arythea running through her deck too fast.

Edit: Just to add, that monastery is a really nice place to explore from as well. If we can find some other orcs to provoke without moving away then we may be able to start Round 2 at level 3 with 2 followers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play March powered by green source mana and crystallize sideways for 5 movement points. Move NW and N to the blue mine. Gain one blue crystal. Draw 2 cards and flip The Right Moment to take another turn.

Rolls the source die:

1custom6{iid:1191898;iid:1191899;iid:1191900;iid:1191901;iid:1191902;iid:1191903} -> ( iid:1191903) ->
[+]

Someone needs to walk me step by step how to use the Geek roller because I have no clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 79585. ioticus
  • 1custom6{iid:1191898;iid:1191899;iid:1191900;iid:1191901;iid:1191902;iid:1191903} =
  • ( iid:1191903) =
  • iid:1191903
  • Sun Jan 8, 2012 2:00 am
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it strictly better to delay turns (wait to flip The Right Moment) to find out how fast Arythea is going through the deck?

The choice between taking an extra turn to gain a blue and <crystal> (and lose a move card) versus not having those crystals but progressing more quickly is an interesting one. Anyone who's more experienced want to chime in with their thoughts on whether one side of the tradeoff is significantly better than the other? I'm leaning toward "crystals probably a bit better, but not significantly".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
by the way, I'm not sure swiftness - ranged attack 3 - will help you here as that orc is fortified and can only be affected by siege attacks in attack phase 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
by the way, I'm not sure swiftness - ranged attack 3 - will help you here as that orc is fortified and can only be affected by siege attacks in attack phase 1.

The plan is to take wounds and hit the orcs during normal attack if nothing useful is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the tactic card chosen you're probably right about getting the extra crystal. It's close though. You're definitely right about delaying the extra turn.

If it wasn't for those Ironclads I'd maybe have chosen that tactic but they can take a lot of cards to block and then kill which is why I preferred Planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
Someone needs to walk me step by step how to use the Geek roller because I have no clue.
I'll give it a shot.

1. click on the "roll" button to add a die roll
2. Paste the copied roll text from mod post into the roll box
3. Then click the "add roll".

I will follow my own steps to generate a geekroll:

1custom6{iid:1191898;iid:1191899;iid:1191900;iid:1191901;iid:1191902;iid:1191903} -> ( iid:1191899) ->
[+]

edit for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 79628. Crimson_Phoenix
  • 1custom6{iid:1191898;iid:1191899;iid:1191900;iid:1191901;iid:1191902;iid:1191903} =
  • ( iid:1191899) =
  • iid:1191899
  • Sun Jan 8, 2012 2:33 am
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:

The plan is to take wounds and hit the orcs during normal attack if nothing useful is drawn.

Sorry, I didn't read the text carefully enough blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course if we don't have to use swiftness, roll a green mana, and draw Will Focus then the Ironclads are toast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.