Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Idea - Reverse G4GG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Carvalho
Portugal
Madeira
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there fellow geeks!

I had this crazy idea I'd like to share and hear your thoughts on it.

Reverse Games for geekgold!!

I've looked at the last geekgold lotteries where, for those unknowning, games are drawn among tippers. And I have noticed that people who really want an item and drop a load of geekgold on it to raise the odds of getting it may actually end up loosing to some wandering 1GG-tipper who didn't really want the item that much (no offense to 1gg-tippers).
The eurogamer in me doesn't love the randomness in the G4GG lotteries ninja

So my idea is simple: To create a geeklist where people list their GG offer and then other folks can check their wishlist (or not) and just add a comment with a game (or expansion) they would be willing to give in exchange for that amount of GG. If more that one fellow offered a game, then the person listing the GG would choose which game to "buy"...

Good parts:
- If a person chooses to spend a bunch of GG, at least he knows he is getting something he actually values in return.
- For those who have some game they were thinking in giving away or selling cheaply, this would be a nice way to "sell" it away...

Bad Part:
- For those games which actually earn thousands of GG on the lottery, this would be a less profitable option to the person listing the item.

Well, let me hear your opinion on this... any suggestions and comments are more than welcome. Just don't throw any rotten vegetables!

EDIT: Well, i have decided to start the geeklist:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/99444/1st-reverse-games-4-...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Under bazaar -> auctions, there is a tool that lets users auction off games for geek gold, but I don't think it's been used in a very long time.

I do like your idea though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to try it, but I suspect it will not fly. has a market value, which fluctuates a little. No one with their brain switched on will offer a game for a quantity of whose value is less than they would be willing to accept for the game in a good old fashioned auction for cash. In which case, they might as well put it up for auction - at least they may get more than a minimum then.

One of the reasons that G4GG works is that people do not bid (again, unless their brains are switched off) an amount of GG which is more than they could just buy the game for, especially because they have no guarantee they will win the game. But they are prepared to put in a bid in the hope of winning. Often, a game goes for much more than it is 'worth' because the seller gets all the bids, not just the winning one. Without that 'all the bids' concept in your reverse thingy, I don't see why anyone would bother.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!


Pah! 2800 - call that plenty?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!


Pah! 2800 - call that plenty?


It's a lot more than I got!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Majard
France
arcis le ponsart
Marne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great idea. One problem though. How do fellows get enough GG to have propositions ? I see only one way (maybe I'm still too green to understand the GG market well though):
- Put a nice game up on G4GG (e.g. new game of your choice under $60)
- Get 2000GG for it.
- Split that in lots of 500GG
- Get 4 games on your wishlist for it.

That seems very attractive indeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sevem wrote:
That sounds like a great idea. One problem though. How do fellows get enough GG to have propositions ? I see only one way (maybe I'm still too green to understand the GG market well though):
- Put a nice game up on G4GG (e.g. new game of your choice under $60)
- Get 2000GG for it.
- Split that in lots of 500GG
- Get 4 games on your wishlist for it.

That seems very attractive indeed.
INdeed. All you need are 4 folks willing to send you a game you want for 500 . Are there going to be 4 such people? I doubt it.

However, just in case: I will offer 500 to anyone who will send me a game from my wants list that I agree to swap 500 for (there are probably a few that are not worth 500 to me). Please form an orderly queue. No pushing there!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Carvalho
Portugal
Madeira
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Feel free to try it, but I suspect it will not fly. has a market value, which fluctuates a little. No one with their brain switched on will offer a game for a quantity of whose value is less than they would be willing to accept for the game in a good old fashioned auction for cash. In which case, they might as well put it up for auction - at least they may get more than a minimum then.

One of the reasons that G4GG works is that people do not bid (again, unless their brains are switched off) an amount of GG which is more than they could just buy the game for, especially because they have no guarantee they will win the game. But they are prepared to put in a bid in the hope of winning. Often, a game goes for much more than it is 'worth' because the seller gets all the bids, not just the winning one. Without that 'all the bids' concept in your reverse thingy, I don't see why anyone would bother.


You are right when you say that the G4GG is atractive because of the "all the bids" concept. And that is why it works in a great way for $60 games. But if you put a small expansion up on the G4GG, you can't expect a great deal of GG coming in... and that's where the RG4GG can work nicely - in low price/low demand games and expansions.

Let's say you have a $10 dollar game you don't want. You have 3 options:
a) you try to sell it
b) you gift it away
c) you give it to someone else in exchange for GG
c1) through G4GG - and you get... let's say 400 GG
c2) through RG4GG - and you get... let's say 200 GG but make the day for a fellow geek.

As for the "lack of GG" problem, sevem proposes a nice way to get GG. Also, we are beggining a new year and many people recieved GG through the 2011 patron bonus.

As I see it, RG4GG could have its space somewhere between G4GG (where the game giver gets the most GG) and Secret Santa (where the game giver makes another geek happy).

I have decided to start the geeklist - the worst it can happen is to rot in my geeklist' list along the others blush
As soon as I have it up, i'll post here!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say try it. It is a tender not a lottery I think

ie - i have this geekgold to get rid of what game is it worth you swapping for it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea! I have games in my collection that don't get the love they deserve and this seems a fun option. Well done thinking of it.

Now somebody just has to take over and start the list *shuffles away*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Carvalho
Portugal
Madeira
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok! It's nice to see people interested.. Geeklist is up:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/99444/1st-reverse-games-4-...

Let's get the ball rolling!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!


Pah! 2800 - call that plenty?


A Scotsman hoarding money? Imagine... whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!


Pah! 2800 - call that plenty?


A Scotsman hoarding money? Imagine... whistle
Orcsfordshire eh? Why not offer the silver spoon in your mouth too. devil

Not only am I a Scot, but I live in Yorkshire. Surprised yet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea! I'm in for this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
I would love this. I have plenty of GG that I'd like to exchange for games, and would happily put up loads for a reverse-lottery. Let me know when you start it up!


Pah! 2800 - call that plenty?


A Scotsman hoarding money? Imagine... whistle
Orcsfordshire eh? Why not offer the silver spoon in your mouth too. devil

Not only am I a Scot, but I live in Yorkshire. Surprised yet?


I did know that. I'm more comfortable insulting the Scots that Yorkshiremen though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea - it'll be interesting to see the results!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
has a market value, which fluctuates a little

and
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
people do not bid ... an amount of GG which is more than they could just buy the game for


Just found this thread and I'm curious now. is there anywhere that states the 'current' price of ? Been looking and I can't find it. All I found was one listing in the GeekAuction of 300gg for US$10, does this mean that, that is the exchange rate or does it mean thats not a good rate (otherwise someone else would have gone for it).
Please advise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Hide wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
has a market value, which fluctuates a little

and
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
people do not bid ... an amount of GG which is more than they could just buy the game for


Just found this thread and I'm curious now. is there anywhere that states the 'current' price of ? Been looking and I can't find it. All I found was one listing in the GeekAuction of 300gg for US$10, does this mean that, that is the exchange rate or does it mean thats not a good rate (otherwise someone else would have gone for it).
Please advise.
Like most things in life, the value of is how much people will pay for it. And that does seem to vary, based on how keen people are to get hold of it, and how available it has been recently. 300gg for US$10 sounds a little on the cheap side to me, but perhaps the price has dropped recently. When I started doing G4GG, the going rate was that 1 was about 4p. Recently, I have been making decisions on 1 = 3p basic. Perhaps I need to lower that again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Dragon Hide wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
has a market value, which fluctuates a little

and
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
people do not bid ... an amount of GG which is more than they could just buy the game for


Just found this thread and I'm curious now. is there anywhere that states the 'current' price of ? Been looking and I can't find it. All I found was one listing in the GeekAuction of 300gg for US$10, does this mean that, that is the exchange rate or does it mean thats not a good rate (otherwise someone else would have gone for it).
Please advise.
Like most things in life, the value of is how much people will pay for it. And that does seem to vary, based on how keen people are to get hold of it, and how available it has been recently. 300gg for US$10 sounds a little on the cheap side to me, but perhaps the price has dropped recently. When I started doing G4GG, the going rate was that 1 was about 4p. Recently, I have been making decisions on 1 = 3p basic. Perhaps I need to lower that again.



Around a year ago I think $5 US was getting near to 200 - hard to remember
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.