Hide
8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Timing for conflict at the carrock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Stoertebeker
msg tools
When playing the conflict at the carrock we have a lot of difficulties with the timing. Either we commit to questing and arrive at the carrock in round 2 or 3. By that time Grimbeorn has usually not been revealed from the deck and we don't have enough allies to deal with the trolls.
Or we hold back and progress very slowly but then the threat value of the cards will rise up making it harder to make any progress at all plus during our last game two frightened beast have cost my girlfriend 13 threat points bringing her to 50 just in the round when we wanted to advance to the carrock. How do you control your progress to get out enough allies / wait for Grimbeorn without getting swamped in 5 or 6 location cards?

Or is it possible, if you succeeded at an adventure to forego placing the progress markers on the adventure card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Northern trackers and threat reduction cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoertebeker wrote:
When playing the conflict at the carrock we have a lot of difficulties with the timing. Either we commit to questing and arrive at the carrock in round 2 or 3. By that time Grimbeorn has usually not been revealed from the deck and we don't have enough allies to deal with the trolls.
Or we hold back and progress very slowly but then the threat value of the cards will rise up making it harder to make any progress at all plus during our last game two frightened beast have cost my girlfriend 13 threat points bringing her to 50 just in the round when we wanted to advance to the carrock. How do you control your progress to get out enough allies / wait for Grimbeorn without getting swamped in 5 or 6 location cards?

Or is it possible, if you succeeded at an adventure to forego placing the progress markers on the adventure card?

You can't forgo placing progress token, but you will place them on active locations first, so make sure you have an active location at all times. Another approach might be to use Denethor to burn through the encounter deck until you get the location that allows you to search for Grimbeorn.

It's a tough quest. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
There are a couple of cards that allow you some "delayed questing", cards that increase willpower or decrease threat after encounter cards have been revealed. I think that is really powerful and can help you stay on stage 1 longer without increasing your threat too much. The cards on top of my head are (there might be more):

Eowyn
Faramir
Protector of Lorien
Longbeard Mapmaker
Radagasts Cunning
Secret Paths
Astonishing Speed
and some combos to remove enemies before they count threat like Gandalf + Sneak Attack or Dunhere + Quick Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another tactic, aside from delaying to get Grimbeorn, is to rush to the second phase with your threat lower than 34 and optionally engage the trolls one or two at a time. Just make sure you're ready to deal with the eight point increase in threat that comes along with putting the trolls in the staging area. Dunhere can also be used to attack the trolls in the staging area, but you'll need to load him up with Dunedain Marks and other bonuses (maybe throw a Support of the Eagles on him) in order to get through the trolls' defenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
AdmiralACF wrote:
Dunhere can also be used to attack the trolls in the staging area, but you'll need to load him up with Dunedain Marks and other bonuses (maybe throw a Support of the Eagles on him) in order to get through the trolls' defenses.

Just a minor nitpick here: Dunhere needs to get a Song of Battle first before he can get Support of the Eagles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Stoertebeker
msg tools
We are playing with Eowyn but all the other suggested cards have to be drawn first. For two players you have to reveal two cards so if you want to be sure to succeed at the adventure you have to aim for at least five points over the threat level of currently displayed cards. If you then draw two treachery cards you have put 5 progress markers on the adventure card. That way, following our "usual" strategy of keeping the staging area empty we arrive at the carrock between round 1 and 3.
Therefore I like the idea better to rush and then have the trolls sit around in the staging area, since this also allows picking them out one by one which is usually easy even without Grimbeorn. I have to admit that I did not think of that idea - thanks.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoertebeker wrote:
We are playing with Eowyn but all the other suggested cards have to be drawn first. For two players you have to reveal two cards so if you want to be sure to succeed at the adventure you have to aim for at least five points over the threat level of currently displayed cards. If you then draw two treachery cards you have put 5 progress markers on the adventure card. That way, following our "usual" strategy of keeping the staging area empty we arrive at the carrock between round 1 and 3.
Therefore I like the idea better to rush and then have the trolls sit around in the staging area, since this also allows picking them out one by one which is usually easy even without Grimbeorn. I have to admit that I did not think of that idea - thanks.arrrh
There are player cards that let you peek at the top card of the encounter deck. If you use those you can have some knowledge of what is coming, and thus not overcommit to the quest. This scenario is usually a doddle in a solo game where you can look at the encounter deck (and since you only draw one card, never be over committed), and do a build up of allies, whilst playing threat reduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.