Subject: Eon-developed unpublished Amber board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading through the Collected Works of Roger Zelazny, and in vol. 4 there's an essay entitled "Amber and the Amberites" (originally the intro to one of the Amber gamebooks). Near the end he mentions "For the Amber boardgame, due out in mid-1988, I was asked to provide a list of colors, and of the several devices so far referred to as associated with many of the Amberites."

The end-notes to the essay mention that "The Amber board game was developed by Eon Games but never released."

Great designers, developing a game based on great books? "Excited" barely begins to cover it.

Does anyone know anything more about this never-released game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Does anyone know anything more about this never-released game?

In a 1991 posting to rec.games.board, Nick Sauer claims to have heard from Greg Costikyan that the game was developed and playtested for release by West End Games. West end decided not to publish it when plans for their Amber RPG never came to fruition. Nick's post to r.g.b would have been around the time that Phage Press published their Amber RPG.

Apparently, Costikyan thought highly of the game, and the Eon team were preparing expansion sets for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://princesofamber.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Peter Olotka about this some time ago, after seeing same reference. I don't have his response at my fingertips, so I'll summarize.

He was excited to be reminded of it, and was very proud of the Shadow walking system they had devised. He went looking for the prototype in his archives, but sadly it was lost and no longer exists. Before realizing it was gone, he asked me who currently had the rights to Amber (Zelazny's ex-wife, sadly) and I urged him to try to resurrect it.

The prospect of a boardgame about my favorite author's most popular book series, done by Eon? I would have moved mountains to make that happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:

That's been floating around for some time, and has never managed to obtain the necessary licenses. The excellent Amber diceless RPG has been long out of print, since Zelazny's estate (run by his ex-wife) has zero interest in gaming licenses at all, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.