United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I've seen conflicting info on the internets. Has anyone seen the final product?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Mongoose website:

"All Star Fleet ships are supplied as unpainted resin models that may require some assembly. Some models may have small metal components. All models are supplied with clear, plastic flying bases."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resin. You can see images of the final product on the ADB site, along with the original computer models and painted miniatures, but with some shots of the resin miniatures unpainted and unassembled.

http://starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500%20Miniatures.shtml

ADB uses the title Starline 2500 to distinguish from their pre-existing pewter line called Starline 2400, but they are exactly the same ships whether you order from Mongoose or ADB (and both companies get paid the same amount either way too).

There has been a lot of discussion of the minatures which you can read on ADB's BBS under the topic title "The Joint Venture with Mongoose". Actually a lot of the design of the miniatures went on there. Mongoose would forward computer models to ADB, ADB would post images on their boards and all the long time ADB players and modellers would comment. This would go back and forth a few times until the models were approved. In fact it is still going on now as they start designing the next batch of ships.

Update:This has now changed. To meet demand the models are now going to be made in metal. minatures-change-from-resin-to-metal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the klingon and Federation models, they are nice models and Resin.

the resin is unlike anything I have ever seen, it is VERY soft, almost like a very hard soap!!

No problem in use, very easy to remove flash but you have to be careful not to remove too much.

There are a number of issues with miscasts which is annoying but Mongoose will always replace miscast pieces.

Andy (Cptkremmen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bruns
United States
North Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
andywatkins1963 wrote:
I have the klingon and Federation models, they are nice models and Resin

I picked up the Romulan models over the weekend. They're flashier than purple-tinted tin foil bellbottoms, but once you get past the flash, they're fantastic. I was actually a little concerned about painting the eagle part of the War Eagle, but it actually is an impression in the resin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochefort wrote:
They're flashier than purple-tinted tin foil bellbottoms...

Wow, that's a lot of flash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if the HeroClix Star Trek Tactics minis would work alright? But I'm guessing wrong era, huh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the 2400 series and the 2500 series the same size then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:

The 2500's are about 33% larger than the 2400's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Just to pre-empt any questions about why the size change, this was at Mongoose's request. They wanted the models to be larger so they could include more detail. In this they have certainly succeeded. Looking at photos of the models on ADB's page http://starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500%20Klingon%20Miniat... you can see that these are significantly more detailed than the smaller pewter models. The Romulans for example actually have the bird designs imprinted in the resin.

A cynical person would see it as a marketing ploy, and naturally Mongoose would want people to buy their new models and not rely on existing ones. Nevertheless approval was given by ADB on the basis of improved detail, detail which was checked and comented on by numerous SFB players as well as ADB staff before going to production.

The existing 2400 smaller pewter series still exists and will continue to exist as long as sales continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile86 wrote:
Mundane wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Just to pre-empt any questions about why the size change, this was at Mongoose's request. They wanted the models to be larger so they could include more detail. In this they have certainly succeeded. Looking at photos of the models on ADB's page http://starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500%20Klingon%20Miniat... you can see that these are significantly more detailed than the smaller pewter models. The Romulans for example actually have the bird designs imprinted in the resin.

A cynical person would see it as a marketing ploy, and naturally Mongoose would want people to buy their new models and not rely on existing ones. Nevertheless approval was given by ADB on the basis of improved detail, detail which was checked and comented on by numerous SFB players as well as ADB staff before going to production.

The existing 2400 smaller pewter series still exists and will continue to exist as long as sales continue.

Thank you. I asked about the sizing because I'm considering buying some since I've seen the 2500s and they look very good. Several people I know have already purchased these and are preparing them. However, someone mentioned already having some miniatures that they could use, they had not seen the 2500s, and so I started to wonder if everyone would be at the same scale.

I have no problem with the companies having a new, larger line and it is nice having a choice between smaller and larger but it does present some challenges as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Has anyone compared the 2500s to the models from Fleet Captains, the new wiz kids game? They're also planning to release pre-painted models (that are looking good, but I have yet to see one in person) from the same molds for Star Trek Heroclix: Tactics.

Not sure how space combat will work using the Heroclix rules, but it would be most groovy if the 2500s were approximately the same size and you could use these prepaints for other games like ACTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Has anyone compared the 2500s to the models from Fleet Captains, the new wiz kids game? They're also planning to release pre-painted models (that are looking good, but I have yet to see one in person) from the same molds for Star Trek Heroclix: Tactics.

Not sure how space combat will work using the Heroclix rules, but it would be most groovy if the 2500s were approximately the same size and you could use these prepaints for other games like ACTA.

The problem for some people with the Fleet Captains models is that they are not to a consistent scale. If scale is not an issue, then I gather that they are a similar size to the old Micromachines which makes them a similar size to the cruisers in the 2400 series and somewhat smaller than the 2500 series.

Having said that, ACTA is a table-top miniatures game with no board, so you can use whatever miniatures you want to play it. Of course the Fleet Captains ships are Next Gen and so not covered in the ACTA rules but no-one will stop if you if you want to make up your own stats for playing your own fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holiday
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Minis are being re-released in metal Summer 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doublenot7 wrote:
Minis are being re-released in metal Summer 2012.

See this thread for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.