Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit first off that I've only read the Search rules, and have yet to play with them.

My first thought was that they were insane, with a lot of peculiar shuffling under the table, flipping the deck, etc.

The more I think about it, they sort of create a game-within-a-game which may end up adding to the fun.

HOWEVER, I don't care at all for the idea that one could memorize what's on the back of every card and do a "skip flip draw" rather easily to nab a sought-after item. It really makes for a significant advantage to players who have memorized the deck. And I probably won't have enough opportunities to play this game with opponents that get that serious into memorizing the cards, so it just seems a little unfair.

I did think of a variant, and it will depend on whether Z-Man is willing to sell me an extra deck of cards. If I have two decks, I could shuffle them facing all the same way (all green sides up, for instance) and then insert them into 2.5" x 3.5" card sleeves two by two, so that each sleeve holds 2 cards, and one green and one red side face out. That way each game has different front-back pairings, and it's further randomized by some items not being available at all and others being duplicated. If the scenario requires a particular item (or items) to be in the deck, they can easily be forced into the mix during the setup.

I'm kind of curious to hear from those who have played with the Search rules... would this be an improvement? Or are there other ways to get around the "memorizing card backs" problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
That does sound like a brilliant idea. We have a printed sheet of all the cards and what's on their back to level out the memory game (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71840/card-index), but randomising would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play that much that I have memorised the equipments. But my experience with searching is that it is also a lucky shot. It happens regularly that you don't find anything because the room types don't match, the search points aren't enough, the weight is too heavy...

Sometime I wish I already would have played it more so I can memorise the cards and search becomes a little more efficient.

I know that this creates off course an advantage to the more experienced player but, then again, if I would play a less experienced player, I would tell him the equipment that is on the back side, if I knew it. After all, the game is about fun. (Also about winning, but not in that way )

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gjertsen
United States
Trent Woods
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, Z-Man appears to be unwilling to sell me a deck of replacement cards. I guess I can just make my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.