Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: DIY - Old Pirate Doubloons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb


I wanted to make some old pirate doubloons for a game I am working on "Keep or the Deep". I had an old copper sheet in the basement so I set to work...

Approx. $1-2 in copper for 13 coins, took 1.25 hours start to finish.

Tools Needed: Tin Snips, Metal File, Letter Punches (Approx. $30 @ Lee Valley), Hammer with flat and round end, old 2x4 wood, gas stove, crayola washable black marker.

----------------------------------------

Step 1. Distraction (I'm a stay at home dad in the day, so I needed something for my 2 year old to "work on" with me)

Tools Needed




Step 2. Cut approx. 1/5" strips from the sheet of copper, cut those into squares, then cut those down to circles (my copper had a lot of aging on it from some previous messy work I was doing - basically splashes of vinegar).






Step 3. Place a circle on the 2x4 wood (important to have a hard but soft surface - wood - to get the depth of the letters - if you use metal or concrete underneath, it will be very flat when finished). Start in the middle and work outwards with punching in the letters (if you want text). Middle first is important as the circle becomes distorted the more letters you punch.



Step 4. You are left with a super concave shape. Flip it over and hammer around the edges to re-flatten the edges. Then give a few gentle taps with the flat side of the hammer to the middle to slightly flatten the coin. Leaving a bit of depth is a nice touch, don't overdo it!






Step 5. Once you have finished all your coins (you could stop here if you are happy with straight copper!), bring them to your gas stove. Have metal cooking tongs and a running sink ready. Place them (one at a time) over the flame text side down. In 12-15 seconds you will see a sudden change in colour. Grab them with the tongs and immediately douse in cold water.





Step 6. Take a Crayola washable black marker and write over all the lettering. Wipe away with a paper towel and you are left with darkened letters. Then take your file and smooth out the edges (important - you don't want players to cut their fingers), and then rough up the surfaces a bit to age the coin. That's it. Play around with the length of time under the flame to get different effects!




-----------

edit: thx for the GG!!! very kind!!!


26 
 Thumb up
7.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I make mine out of old aluminum Mardi Gras doubloons. Color/writing/embossing doesn't matter.
I dab some metalic & rust colored acrylic paint on them with a sea sponge. I dab mostly iron paint over that. Then I put on a chemical to rust them. Sometimes I dab a bit more color on top of rust.
Much easier than yours-if you are making a quantity.
Heck, I never make one-three of anything, extras go in a drawer for future projects. Sometimes they just get glued to an art project.

I'm new here and haven't learned to post photos yet.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
I make mine out of old aluminum Mardi Gras doubloons. Color/writing/embossing doesn't matter.
I dab some metalic & rust colored acrylic paint on them with a sea sponge. I dab mostly iron paint over that. Then I put on a chemical to rust them. Sometimes I dab a bit more color on top of rust.
Much easier than yours-if you are making a quantity.
Heck, I never make one-three of anything, extras go in a drawer for future projects. Sometimes they just get glued to an art project.

I'm new here and haven't learned to post photos yet.


Post some pics, I would love to see!!

Click on your username, then click on the tab "gallery", you can upload images from there. Then in your post, copy the image id it gives you and click "insert geek image" and paste your pic's id number.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:

I'm new here and haven't learned to post photos yet.


Click on your Gallery:


Then click the Upload Button:
5 
 Thumb up
5.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how you can make many different coin designs, for example by leaving the marker away etc... very useful. Thanks for sharing!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Smith
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just click the Upload New Geek Image icon when replying:


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Datura wrote:
I can see how you can make many different coin designs, for example by leaving the marker away etc... very useful. Thanks for sharing!


Hey, thanks! They look a bit crazy in daylight, but they have a great shine in low light - like playing around a table. Marker, no marker, fire or no fire, letters or ??, lots of options. I wish that I could buy a skull and crossbones die punch!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Avatar
.
Pure genius bro! Keep up the good work!

Joseph
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
.
Pure genius bro! Keep up the good work!

Joseph


Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nikky_hack wrote:
I wish that I could buy a skull and crossbones die punch!


Looks like you can if you have money to burn.

#1
#2
#3


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
nikky_hack wrote:
I wish that I could buy a skull and crossbones die punch!


Looks like you can if you have money to burn.

#1
#2
#3




Yeah, if we're going to start talking custom dies, let's make a list...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
seqiro wrote:
nikky_hack wrote:
I wish that I could buy a skull and crossbones die punch!


Looks like you can if you have money to burn.

#1
#2
#3




Yeah, if we're going to start talking custom dies, let's make a list...


If only we had tons of money to burn on prototyping!!

I love #3, and am actually tempted to buy, just to have. I wonder what their prices are for custom drawings we provide?

Thanks for the link!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.