Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris D.
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Im looking at purchasing an LCG for me and my kids to play. The two that are old enough to understand and play are 9 and 11. For those that have played both W:i and the AGOT LCG, how would you say they are in terms of teaching them to kids? They are both pretty smart and play Dominion if that helps with context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are simple, so they can learn it easily, I think. But some cards have scary and/or disgusting artwork.
Eg.:
http://deckbox.org/whi/Great%20Unclean%20One

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course a Game of Thrones just has scary and/or disgusting characters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okok, I don't know that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Warhammer Invasion much faster paced than Game of Thrones. I admit I only played the latter twice, because I try to avoid it if I can, as it always seems to be dragging on and on.
So, independent of the age of your kids (I think, if they basically understand W:I, they will also grasp AGOT), I definitely recommend Warhammer. Less risk that they fall asleep in between turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Warhammer invasion is the easier of the games to pick up, it is faster paced, but there are no multiplayer rules and it is a MUCH harder game to come back from if you are in the whole. A Game of Thrones is slower paced, more strategic game so requires more thought to play well, but it is multiplayer as well as 1v1 and much more swingy in nature.

What I would really suggest is getting the Core Set of W:I and teach that to them. I probably wouldn't invest much in the battle packs unless they became consumed with the game. Then after some play and they become more familiar with the deeper rule set of an LCG over a deck building game ask them if they want to try a new one. If they are game buy the Core Set for AGOT and teach them that game. Both games are fun out of the box, it isn't a big investment,and this way you can let them decide which they want to play, and which they want to invest more in. Heck since they are LCG's and not CCG's you could actually expand both games at minimal investment. And honestly I think they can teach lessons much deeper than planning and patience, math, and social skills but act as a great incentive for doing their chores, keeping up with homework, scoring well on tests, getting good report cards, etc. And if they get an allowance how to budget their money to buy new packs.

As I am sure you know, it is all about life lessons when raising kids. Everything is a learning opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.