Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come to a very odd situation on my last game:
I was playing the USSR.
Beginning of 10th turn, I have a 9 points advantage and holding Wargames event card in my hands.
Since DEFCON was 3, I could not play it on my Headline.
So I went with "Ortega Elected in Nicaragua".

Now, my headline gave me a free coup in adjacent country, allowing me to coup Cuba, which was under my control but had USA influence in it. By doing so, I would have degraded the DEFCON to 2 and could then play Wargames on my AR1, winning the game before my opponent could even lay a card down.

It made strategic sense and is technically legal but I felt like it was against the spirit of the game. So I spent my free coup in Honduras instead.

I know it is a very specific situation (although I can see other situations where someone could get some benefits by doing it) but I feel coup in countries you already control should be forbidden.
It simply does not sound right.

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as your opponent has influence in the country in question, you can do a coup.

Of course, a coup isn't only a coup d'├ętat - it stands in for all manner of activities including counterinsurgency, repression of political parties, counterespionage, and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it is possible to hold a coup in a country under your control. Its a form of consolidating power, eliminating opposition elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
I have come to a very odd situation on my last game:
I was playing the USSR.
Beginning of 10th turn, I have a 9 points advantage and holding Wargames event card in my hands.
Since DEFCON was 3, I could not play it on my Headline.
So I went with "Ortega Elected in Nicaragua".

Now, my headline gave me a free coup in adjacent country, allowing me to coup Cuba, which was under my control but had USA influence in it. By doing so, I would have degraded the DEFCON to 2 and could then play Wargames on my AR1, winning the game before my opponent could event lay a card down.

It made strategic sense and is technically legal but I felt like it was against the spirit of the game. So I spent my free coup in Honduras instead.

I know it is a very specific situation (although I can see other situations where someone could get some benefits by doing it) but I feel coup in countries you already control should be forbidden.
It simply does not sound right.

Comments?

Uruguay, during the Cold War, early 70s. The government was very conservative, and there was an armed leftist insurgency, the Tupamaros. Essentially, you have US control, and USSR influence, in TS terms. The government called on the military to help them crush the armed rebels (which were never very strong, but anyway). They did, and then also staged a coup and continued repression against other (non-armed) leftist elements (which had for the most part spoken against the Tupamaros, in fact). So in Twilight Struggle terms, that's exactly what happened: a US sponsored coup in a US controlled country to remove USSR influence. Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the only case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:

Uruguay, during the Cold War, early 70s. The government was very conservative, and there was an armed leftist insurgency, the Tupamaros. Essentially, you have US control, and USSR influence, in TS terms. The government called on the military to help them crush the armed rebels (which were never very strong, but anyway). They did, and then also staged a coup and continued repression against other (non-armed) leftist elements (which had for the most part spoken against the Tupamaros, in fact). So in Twilight Struggle terms, that's exactly what happened: a US sponsored coup in a US controlled country to remove USSR influence. Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the only case.

Great example!
Thanks for the very knowledgeable analogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's very much in the spirit of the game. Managing the Defcon track with Coups is a very important part of the game. As it's the Cold War anything goes really. The game has several tricks and traps like that which makes it even more tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.