Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I've almost bought this game about a dozen times over the past year or more, but I continually wonder/worry about its longevity. Mostly this is because, admittedly perhaps out of ignorance, due to the very small model count in the box. Seems like there's massive overpacked luxury amounts of all components... except models.

I've read many glowing reviews, but many/most of them are pretty old. If any of you could take the time to describe how you think the game has held up after repeated play I would very much appreciate it.

I'd mostly be playing it as a two person game, but every once in a while we get four of us in the same room so experience there after a time would help to.

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see what figure count has to do with replayability. There's only one of me, and I've not run out of new things to do in 61 years.

The game has a huge replay depth. I've played nine times, and barely scratched the surface - that barely gets me in the top 50 if you look at 'plays' on the game page. And I'm not even through the 2-player scenarios. If you like the game, the scenario generation system will keep this going far longer than other scenario-based games, guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm less worried about replayability than I am about playability. What I mean is that this game mostly collects dust. And then, when you bring it out, you end up teaching it all over again or playing one of the tutorial missions yet again.

I tried skipping ahead in the tutorial missions with one hardcore gamer and it just fell flat on its face. He literally didn't want to play after I finished explaining the basic options related to the order tiles. And this was a guy that had a complete set of both Tannhauser and Last Night on Earth with painted figures in the latter.

Is it brilliant? Sure, but who will play this beast? That's the question that I think you have to answer before investing in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap\'n Mushroom
msg tools
Yeah, I've had a hard time getting it on the table. The rules are just annoying enough that by the time you have everything set up and your rules refresher, you are worn out.

I would only recommend it if you have someone who is just as excited as you. Otherwise, it's money and time wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I don't see what figure count has to do with replayability. There's only one of me, and I've not run out of new things to do in 61 years.

Normally I wouldn't worry, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, each figure represents a unique warrior with their own characteristics. Were they generic entities that perhaps could be user generated or something I don't think it'd be issue. It's not a concern of model count, or getting tired of looking at the poses, but of burnout on their given abilities.

I guess. Again, I've never played it, just read reviews.

Sphere wrote:
The game has a huge replay depth. I've played nine times, and barely scratched the surface - that barely gets me in the top 50 if you look at 'plays' on the game page. And I'm not even through the 2-player scenarios. If you like the game, the scenario generation system will keep this going far longer than other scenario-based games, guaranteed.

Sound's great! I keep getting the feel that it'll play like the turn based tactical games of the old days (old to me at 38 mind you) like a love child of X-Com and Fallout.

KenToad wrote:
Is it brilliant? Sure, but who will play this beast? That's the question that I think you have to answer before investing in this game.

Thanks for the response and head's up!

Deep difficult complex rules systems have never scared us off. I (we) usually see that as a plus.

EDIT: I should amend that by saying, complex and deep rules systems are great as long as the end result is compelling choices and intuitive results, but, they are wholly differentiated from something contrived, messy and unwieldy.[/q]

captainmushroom wrote:
Yeah, I've had a hard time getting it on the table. The rules are just annoying enough that by the time you have everything set up and your rules refresher, you are worn out.

This is the first comment to give me real pause. Can you explain, or point me to a link that does so, what you find annoying about the rules? Also, if anyone has the time to peruse my (very incomplete) collection on the Geek for like reference points for comparison purposes that might help.

Thanks again folks, it's a great help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Normally I wouldn't worry, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, each figure represents a unique warrior with their own characteristics. Were they generic entities that perhaps could be user generated or something I don't think it'd be issue. It's not a concern of model count, or getting tired of looking at the poses, but of burnout on their given abilities.

The abilities are characteristics like how fast they move, how physically strong they are, how good of shots they are. Bear in mind that there are also a wide variety of weapon types, so the same characters armed differently will change things. It's really all about the situations the characters are in anyway. Think of it in terms of an action hero like Conan or Tarzan or John Carter of Mars or whoever - same character, same attributes, a million possible situations.

navajas wrote:
This is the first comment to give me real pause. Can you explain, or point me to a link that does so, what you find annoying about the rules?

I think the rules are exceptionally good for a game with this much depth. There's no such thing as a game that will please everyone, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
This is the first comment to give me real pause. Can you explain, or point me to a link that does so, what you find annoying about the rules?

I don't presume to speak for Captain Mushroom, but I think the second sentence in his post is much more telling than his first.

I don't think the rules are annoying at all, what is important to note is they take an investment of time that not everyone would want to commit to. You just need to make sure you have at least one other person that will commit to that investment, or you just end up teaching the game over and over and never *really* playing it. The scenarios are quite fun, but the real fun of ER is SAG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
navajas wrote:

I don't presume to speak for Captain Mushroom, but I think the second sentence in his post is much more telling than his first.

I don't think the rules are annoying at all, what is important to note is they take an investment of time that not everyone would want to commit to. You just need to make sure you have at least one other person that will commit to that investment, or you just end up teaching the game over and over and never *really* playing it. The scenarios are quite fun, but the real fun of EB is SAG's.

Yes yes yes, not really playing it, exactly. The game can be a masterpiece and it just doesn't matter if hardly anyone wants to learn the complete game and play it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game twice, and only the first scenario, so bear that in mind. But I've had a lot of fun with it and want to play more. The rules are a bear — that's why they're dribbled out slowly over the course of many scenarios, with new rules building on the old.

My first session was a bit tough to do, but my second went much more smoothly. NORAD won both times, with different strategies, and I could see other ways the scenario could play out as well. The number of characters is limited, true, but each is quite unique — Vasquez is an almost helpless character when unarmed, which presents an interesting challenge in that first scenario, with Franck Einstein being the only one able to realistically deal any damage on her behalf. But Jeff Deeler is also a weakling, and his zombies hit hard but are slow on the hoof. Vasquez is very fast, so it's difficult to stop her from escaping if Franck can open up a hole for her to run through. But in both sessions the NORAD player found Vasquez on the first try — with more time for the Salemite player to maneuver zombies into attack position, who knows what might have happened?

And again, this is just the first scenario, with the most bare-bones rules. I'm much less worried about running out of replay value than I am about never getting to try all the scenarios and moving on to SAGS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's simply no issue with the game's longevity unless you don't have the time to commit, audience with which to play, or the tolerance for the complex rules--but even the complex rules aren't much of an issue because of the manner in which they are presented.

Longevity, you ask? It may be the SINGE MOST longevity-qualified game I have in my collection.

I think you've waited long enough. Get it while you still can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Longevity, you ask? It may be the SINGE MOST longevity-qualified game I have in my collection.

I think you've waited long enough. Get it while you still can.

Did.

I want to thanks everyone who replied, with a special nod to sphere. I dug into your game collection comments and I think we might have similar tastes. Or perhaps, "tolerances" may be a better word. Heh. You'd be the same age as the uncle who is responsible for the nerd half of my psyche. Since he got me playing SPI's John Carter when I was 6 I play a lot older than I am.

In any case, since the biggest detraction from the system seem to invariably be related in some way to its complexity, and since that is utterly no issue with me or mine, I think I'll err on the side of all the adulation.

Thanks again to all who responded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Get it while you still can.

Did.

Congratulations. As long as you have one or more enthusiastic opponents, I feel confident you will have very little cause to regret your investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Having read more reviews I am suddenly much less impressed with myself for drawing the Fallout/X-Com comparison: Beat to press by about half a dozen people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.