Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night i played my first 5-player game of Eclipse and overall it was super fun but the game ended up not close at all. The scores came out like this everyone ended around 15 points and one player came in at 32. Granted this was my second game and all the other players 1st game. After the game we all talked about it trying to figure out what we could have done since that winners ships at the end were very powerful and nobody else could take them down. I was curious if others had this happen in their first games and then in subsequent plays people payed more attention to who was in the lead and then ganged up on that person so it was a closer battle. Also I was curious what are ways to disrupt a player that is getting a head with strong ships. I will confess all of us other than winner played a bit defensively up until towards the end of the game, and made alliances where we should not have. The winning player happen to have an alliance with the person next to him on the board and also was next to the gap in a 5 player game. I now see you need to be VERY careful who you align with and when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly wouldn't worry about outcomes when some (or all!) of the players are noobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has less to do with ganging up on the leader and more on simply playing better.

Eclipse has a learning curve. Sometimes a person just doesn't get a game. After 4 two-player games I can say I do not understand it very well. I have a much better idea how it works now than I did after the 1st or 2nd playing of course.

And score doesn't always tell the whole story. Sometimes a score can swing big on a few actions, so if the outcome had gone differently, the score would be different by a lot even though the action might have been 50/50.

The only way to get better is to play and observe. Playing and observing are my favorite parts of games. Luckily every game has that mechanic available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I am not too worried about it and I usually play HORRIBLE when i have to teach a game and keep an eye on the rules. I stink at multi-tasking. I guess i was wondering in other games do people then just start attacking the leader from all sides type of thing? Honestly the person who won deserved it and played well and got some sweet discovery tiles. I guess I was just more curious what other peoples experiences were. I LOVE the game so this is not about poking holes in the game and claiming there is a runaway leader problem. Was more interested in tactics and if others saw this happen because like you said there is a steep learning curve to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
In my 5p game (first game), the end players did slightly better too. I've heard other reports of the 5-player board being unfair due to the extra space and option to turtle afforded the 2 players on the ends. Someone made a custom set of 4? hex tiles where some hexes were wormholed together, in order to close this gap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, we have a 5 player scheduled for Sunday.

But 4 are experienced gamers, so I don't think we will have any "Whoops, how did we all let that one guy get so far ahead of us" problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 5 player map does give a small edge to the players on the ends. However it's not big enough to make a huge difference. I played a 5 player game recently and getting diplomatic relations with two players right away makes it not so bad.

Out of all my games, two of them were 5 player:
An End Player won once, and a inside player won once. So, I'm pretty sure a good group will counter the end players advantage appropriately. Like, not giving them diplomatic. This will slow them down tremendously.

Even thou end players have a tiny advantage, the random round one explore draws can swing the game a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played 5p game. Dominated with 42 points. 3p ended with 24-27 points.

In round 4 the first conflict arouse engaging neither the future dominator nor his neighbors. In round 5 the dominator's neighbors were said that if they engage in this conflict the game will be won by one left alone.
They decided to engage teamed up 3:1 against the Traitor.

In turn 7 dominator started to cut his way to the center [and even further valuable hexes] through his neighbors.

So for the last 5 rounds game was a struggle for the 2nd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for teaching us the game, Troy. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with the outcome, especially since it was a learning game. There were things that we all could have done better. I know that I made a number of mistakes - researched a couple of techs that were a waste of time, failed to make my fight against the ancients a sure thing (and had some bad dice luck, thus losing the battle and setting me back at least a turn or two), and not building orbitals early. Ben got surrounded by ancients (he should have discarded at least one of those tiles, but I think we didn't know that you could do that when you explore), and attacked at a disadvantage, losing two Interceptors... which was a pretty big mistake even though he bounced back from it. John did a good job setting up orbitals for resource flow, but he should have either kept exploring, researched Advanced Wormholes and attacked me because I was weak, attacked you, or built up monoliths to try to go for the unassailable fortress victory. He certainly had the starbases to defend himself.

I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, you did wrong, since you were on the other side of the board from me, but like you said, you were teaching the game and that can be distracting. I know I got slaughtered in a game of Dungeon Lords trying to teach it in my second game.

In addition to that, I think that playing next to the gap in 5p is a slight advantage... Not huge, and I wouldn't really worry about it, but combined with Tom playing well and having pretty good luck in the early game, as well as the rest of us making various mistakes... I think it just was the perfect storm. I think that if we played the same game with the same 5 people, it would be a lot closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Chris it was great playing with you all! Yeah I agree it was a learning game for sure and we all messed some stuff up. I would agree the next time we all played it would very interesting, closer, and more aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be easier to answer if you know what areas the player got their VPs from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.