Subject: Death Penalties/Rewards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So we got through our first game last night and the consensus was that it's kinda dumb there's really no penalty for death or reward for taking out monsters/minions. Ya, by defeating minions they never come back and further your chances of accomplishing some missions but we also thought the missions were kinda lame. The heros won the game instantly from collectively having one or less corruption card which is really easy to do and they all didn't like that so I've been trying to think of ways to come up with different rewards/penalties to be given for combat.

Penalty Variants
Simple Death
I've seen the hero death variant and it's ok but we don't really like the "buffs" they already come with so if we were playing the death variant we would make it just that. He dies and u pick another guy that comes into the game but he starts off from the beginning with no "upgrades" with that being the penalty of death.

Morgul Blade
Another one I thought of for a penalty would be when defeated by a minion u were struck with a morgul blade(yes, b4 u say anything i know it's only the ringwraiths that carry them but for this it works). The difference in this is that instead of dying the normal rules apply for being defeated except that now u always will have a corruption card on u at all times. Just like Frodo's wound will never fully heal the same applies here. Eventhough u can still get rid of corruption cards per the normal rules u must still always have one even if that means drawing another after getting rid of one(some are worse than others).

Rewards
This is really simple. Whenever u defeat a monster or minion u get favor depending on his strength. The classification goes as follows:
Strength of monster/minion
0-5 = 1 Favor
6-8 = 2 Favor
9+ = 3 Favor

In addition to getting favor from defeating a minion/monster u can visit any Haven location and exchange 5 Favor for a Training Skill and 10 Favor to increase a level. Hero may choose which level to increase but must follow normal rules per leveling up.

These are just a few suggestions that I had. Now, it is noteworthy to point out that we haven't yet played with these but have agreed next time to incorporate these rules to give more incentive to fight instead of just doing personal quests and such. In theory we feel like these are simple compromises but aren't sure how well it translates to balance. We'll see. If any would like to try these out themselves please feel free to and let me know how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.