United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to buy games that I really want before they go OOP, but sometimes they just disappear, seemly instantly. One day everyone has a copy, the next I can only find it in the marketplace at $75+. This happened recently with both Luna and Le Havre, although I'm sure the latter will be re-printed.

There are several games out right now that I REALLY want but am broke thanks Xmas. It would be nice to be able to prioritize purchases.

I'm wondering if this would even be possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of times games go out of print in kind of a silent way, so it would be hard to do consistently. I fear that if there were a "this is about to go OOP" list, then people would just buy up what copies they can and turn around and sell them at higher prices because of the about-to-be-OOP status rather than the eventual OOP status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
This is impossible, given the most common definition of "Out of Print" here on the Geek, which is "I can't buy it at either my FLGS or FOGS."

The reason is that such a project would require keeping track of the inventory levels of every manufacturer, every distributor, and every retail outlet, for every title, in something akin to real time.

Absolutely, utterly impossible. Its hard enough to get an electronic INVENTORY system up and running for a retail outlet, much less get it to connect to some greater website that collates all that data.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The real reason is EVERY game is technically out of print the moment it becomes available.

Game companies print a few hundred to a few thousand copies and reprint only as the stock runs low (or runs out)--if they decide to reprint it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
This is impossible, given the most common definition of "Out of Print" here on the Geek, which is "I can't buy it at either my FLGS or FOGS."

The reason is that such a project would require keeping track of the inventory levels of every manufacturer, every distributor, and every retail outlet, for every title, in something akin to real time.

Absolutely, utterly impossible. Its hard enough to get an electronic INVENTORY system up and running for a retail outlet, much less get it to connect to some greater website that collates all that data.

Darilian

I agree that it is prohibitively difficult, but I feel that you're exaggerating quite a bit. It's enough to know whether the major distributors have them in stock, which is usually kept track of quite well. Thus, out of print status refers not to whether a retailer has them available, but rather whether or not they have the ability to resupply if they run out.

But it would still be difficult and perhaps impossible to do on a fan-project basis, as it would require participation from the major distributors. I'm not saying some new website couldn't try to do this, but I don't think BGG would do this nor any of its forum participants as we have no connection with the distributors or their inventory levels -- which is information they may not want made public for competitive reasons anyway.

The best we can probably do is get an idea of how much product was created in the last print run. From there, you can figure out when the material will be sold out based on how popular it is. Hardly a scientific method, though, and thus perhaps not worth collecting the statistics for it.

Manufacturers can't tell you when something will be "out of print", because as has been previously stated by rrr1, its all printed at once and the real question is whether or not they are "sold out" of the games they printed. If manufacturers could predict if and when their products will sell out, they would have a much more lucrative industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best you can do is monitor the actual game companies and see if they announce when they consider it OOP. Unless they have no distribution, there should be titles available in online/ FLGS in limited but enough quantities for you to grab one before all those channels sell out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one knows that unfortunately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.