Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noobie timing question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Torres
Australia
flag msg tools
I just played my first game and had some timing questions.

Just to confirm you draw your next turns hand at the end of our current turn then display the 5 cards during your opponents turn?


If I draw a Moat at the end of my turn and my opponent had a Militia card out from there last draw would that stop them using it during there turn or my turn?.

On the Militia it states...

"When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack."

Do you play with a open?, if so how do you reveal this if all cards are
revealed at the end of your last turn?.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player's hands are secret (unrevealed.) Only when you choose to reveal a Moat from your hand would they know what you've got (and even then, they would only know about the Moat, not anything else.).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldsweat wrote:
Just to confirm you draw your next turns hand at the end of our current turn then display the 5 cards during your opponents turn?

Umm, you don't display them but you do draw then at the end of your turn. You just keep them in your hand until they are used.

Koldsweat wrote:
If I draw a Moat at the end of my turn and my opponent had a Militia card out from there last draw would that stop them using it during there turn or my turn?.

Your opponent drew a militia card on his last draw. Now its his turn again. If he uses his one action to play that particular action card, then you may reveal the moat from your hand by showing to him. Resolve the effect of the moat, and then put the card back in your hand.


Koldsweat wrote:
"When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack."

Do you play with a open?, if so how do you reveal this if all cards are
revealed at the end of your last turn?.


1) Your opponent draws five cards at the end of his turn. Let's say one is a Militia card.
2) You play your turn as normal. At the end, you discard whatever cards you have and you draw five more. Let's say that one of them is a Moat.
3) On your opponents turn, he can play one Action card. He takes the Militia card from his hand and places it face-up, announcing that he is using it.
4) At this point, you may now say "Aha!" and reveal the Moat card that is hidden in your hand, showing it to him briefly. He curses at you, and you put the card back in your hand. (It can still be used on your next turn for its other effects.)
5) He still receives the gold from the Militia but you are not effected by the attack (because you revealed a Moat).
6) On your turn, you may play the Moat card as your action if you want to, since its also an action card. It lets you do other stuff now. (I think it lets you draw cards or something from what I remember.)

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldsweat wrote:
I just played my first game and had some timing questions.

Just to confirm you draw your next turns hand at the end of our current turn then display the 5 cards during your opponents turn?


If I draw a Moat at the end of my turn and my opponent had a Militia card out from there last draw would that stop them using it during there turn or my turn?.

On the Militia it states...

"When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack."

Do you play with a open?, if so how do you reveal this if all cards are
revealed at the end of your last turn?.




You don't display all your cards. Not sure where that idea came from.

The way a turn goes is basically as follows:

A Play Action cards. (Optional. If you have no Action cards, you skip this phase. Otherwise, base of one Action but may have more Actions if you played Action card(s) with +Actions).

B Buy cards using Treasure cards in your hand. (Optional. If you have no Treasure cards or coins provided by Action cards, you may Buy cards with a cost of 0. Base of one Buy but may have more if you played Action card(s) with +Buys.)

C Clean up: Put all played, unplayed, and gained (through Buys or via Action cards) cards into your discard pile. (Mandatory.)

D Draw your next hand of five cards from your draw deck. (Mandatory.)

If you have a Moat in your hand when another player plays a Militia (or other Attack) card, you may reveal the Moat - show it to the other players, often with a verbal or gestural flourish - and the Attack will have no effect on you. On your next turn, you may play the Moat for its Action effect and draw two cards from your draw deck.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Torres
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for that guys

I normally play Thundestone so I guess I just played Dominion like Thunderstone LOL!.

Do you guys have any strategies for the first time set up?.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldsweat wrote:
Do you guys have any strategies for the first time set up?.



Nope. Have fun trying stuff out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Torres
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry I forgot to add, the games ends when any three supply card piles run out of the 3 money stacks run out?.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldsweat wrote:
Sorry I forgot to add, the games ends when any three supply card piles run out of the 3 money stacks run out?.


Either one of these two conditions: Any three piles amidst all the cards, or just the piles of Provinces.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Koldsweat wrote:
Sorry I forgot to add, the games ends when any three supply card piles run out of the 3 money stacks run out?.

The game ends when any 3 supply card piles run out. Don't forget that all of the stacks of cards in the regular game are considered part of the supply. So if all the Curses are gone, that counts as one of the 3 piles. If all of a certain action are gone, that counts as a pile. If all of the Copper are gone, that counts as a pile (and someone has likely made a bad choice buying so much Copper). If all of a certain victory card are gone, that counts as a pile.

Also, the game ends when the entire pile of Provinces is gone, regardless of whether or not any other piles are gone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
q5) He still receives the gold from the Militia but you are not effected by the attack (because you revealed a Moat).


Just to avoid any confusion on the part of new players, Militia provides 2 coins, $2, or 2 treasure, however you want to phrase it. It does not provide gold, which is a separate card that provides $3. Not a big deal, but the distinction is important when discussing particular cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
q5) He still receives the gold from the Militia but you are not effected by the attack (because you revealed a Moat).


Just to avoid any confusion on the part of new players, Militia provides 2 coins, $2, or 2 treasure, however you want to phrase it. It does not provide gold, which is a separate card that provides $3. Not a big deal, but the distinction is important when discussing particular cards.


Thanks. Usually I'm better with terminology than that. It was pretty careless of me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.