Hide
5 Posts

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » Rules

Subject: a Rule question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blabla Blabbla
msg tools
ok, yesterday me and my friends have played a quite strange game...

3 vs 3, all aliens dead, 2 humans escape and one in the ship with no escape pod available...

that's the plot, galileo map.. alien1 kill alien2 in a hexagon mistake.. human1 escape from pod 1, human2 kill alien1 (adrenaline+attack) and run to pod 3 but it's broken and escape from pod 4, alien3 hunt human3 until turn 36, but get killed by human3... human 3 reach pod2 at turn 39, turn the card and the pod is broken...

so we have:
2 humans escaped (winner)
3 aliens dead (loser??)
1 human alive at turn 39 with no pod avalaible for escape.. (winner? loser?)

according to rulebook:

The game ends when every Human player has either
been eliminated or has safely left the spaceship.

1. Every Human that leaves the spaceship is a winner!

2. The Aliens win if they can eliminate the last living
Human on board the space ship!

3. If all 39 rounds have been played, any Humans still
on board the ship are eliminated and the Aliens win!

it is possible that both the Aliens and some of
the Humans can jointly win the game when the
last living Human on board is killed. Any Humans
that are killed by the Aliens lose the game.

what's your position???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the aliens and the "non-escaping human" looses. A human needs to really escape in order to win, not just kill aliens. Thematic you can interpret it as the aliens having eggs onboard, and the humans have 39 minutes to get out before they hatch and swarm the whole ship.

Ofcourse this interpretation is not clear from the rules, and it could be a special case that if the humans kill the aliens, then all living humans win. But I would not play it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's very unsatisfying for the lone human to lose in this situation. Whether he escapes or not was largely up to the luck of the draw on door hatches. If he manages to kill all of the remaining aliens, it seems as if he should be rewarded.

On the other hand, thematically, it seems as if he's stuck on an abandoned space ship in the middle of nowhere. That seems like a loss to me.

A strict reading of the rules also points to a loss. The human either escapes or loses. There is no middle ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pmz87 wrote:
ok, yesterday me and my friends have played a quite strange game...

Wow! At that point does it matter so much.
Sounds like an exciting tense one!
Did you have fun? You all win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan McKinney
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Linkor wrote:
I'd say that the aliens and the "non-escaping human" looses. A human needs to really escape in order to win, not just kill aliens. Thematic you can interpret it as the aliens having eggs onboard, and the humans have 39 minutes to get out before they hatch and swarm the whole ship.

Ofcourse this interpretation is not clear from the rules, and it could be a special case that if the humans kill the aliens, then all living humans win. But I would not play it this way.

I would interpret it differently. The rules say that "ALL of the systems have failed". It never says it explicitly, but that implies that there is something that would happen at the end of the 39 turns that would be catastrophic - Anything from the oxygen getting too low to allow the humans to continue in their escape attempts, to a ship-wide lockdown, to a reactor exploding. Honestly, I think the oxygen scenario makes the most sense - It's conceivable that the aliens don't require oxygen, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.