10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: A game designer's confession. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Hanna
Canada
flag msg tools
Have any of you thought to yourself, "I am probably one of the better game designers in the world. Pffft, I could design a game like that no problem!"
???
I have.
For some reason I feel that I have this godly superiority over the billions of other people in this world... and it's not that I want to. I guess I'm just human and up to my neck in pride.

But lately I've been trying to get out of that restricting mindset and open my eyes to the beauty of uniqueness in our world and what it can accomplish. There are many games that mine could never, and probably will never compare to. Examples: Go. Mindbogglingly elegant and infinitely profound. Why couldn't I have thought of it? BECAUSE IT HAS ALREADY BEEN THOUGHT OF! So, is my job as a game designer to make a game that is completely original, yet just as wonderful as Go?

No!

My job as a game designer is to make a game. It's silly to judge a game, because every game is a good game (to someone), and at the same time every game is a bad game (to someone else). So why try to make "the best game" or be "the best game designer"? It's an unattainable goal.

Maybe game design should be less of a competition, and more of a journey.
Maybe I should stop thinking I'm the best, and start realizing that we are equal.

With that said,
cheers to you, and may your game be friends with my game!
Happy designing

ThomasMH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Im sure Go has been re-invented unawares many times. Its just the version thats endured where others didnt. Look at the myriad chess-like games that have come out from countries far separated.

I make games because I enjoy it and theres all these ideas that beg to be put to use.

You may now resume worshiping my godlike skillz. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like anything else if you apply comparative analysis you could determine "the best". its the criteria that gets sticky. you post this thread about pride and it humors me, great post. then I am thinking, in the bounds of quantifiable data there is no way you are the best right if you dont actualy have any games? ahh pride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am a better game designer now than I was 6 months ago. I think game designing is like golf: You’re really only competing with yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Perhaps the Dunning Kruger effect is in play? whistle whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hanna
Canada
flag msg tools
hmmm, touche. I guess I was more referring to my aspirations as a designer: to be acclaimed for incredible design and godly superiority! I didn't quite get to the conclusion I had originally intended, which was that I want to be the best. I don't know if it's safe to assume that for you, or anyone else, but I know that pride has power over me. It can be overwhelming. Like bad perfume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hanna
Canada
flag msg tools
jmucchiello wrote:
Perhaps the Dunning Kruger effect is in play? whistle whistle

durhh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thats exactly it Thomas!

Good post, you speak for I think almost everyone here with your words.

The dunning-kruger effect is in play also here:
Quick Definition According to me: The more you actually know, the more you realise your mistakes. Likewise: the less you know, the more you can't see your errors and think your great !

I also think that another idea is effecting here; lemmi see if I can find a wiki: hol' on...

nope can't find anything, ok well basically its: When things look easy and so simplistic, there has been a lot of thought gone into them. Like with music, "I could play/sing that" but as things look so simple and elegant the secret behind them is that a lot of thought has gone into them. If anyone wants to link me a wikik philosophy article where that comes from that would be great

So what I am trying to say is that I totally agree with you about the "Pff, I could have done that" and agree that it should be a journey not a competition. But the truth of some games that feel so simple and elegant is that, in honesty, you probably wouldn't have been able to make that game! ^_^

s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Thomas_Hanna wrote:
hmmm, touche. I guess I was more referring to my aspirations as a designer: to be acclaimed for incredible design and godly superiority! I didn't quite get to the conclusion I had originally intended, which was that I want to be the best. I don't know if it's safe to assume that for you, or anyone else, but I know that pride has power over me. It can be overwhelming. Like bad perfume.

Oh, yes, I can't wait for the Sid Sackson movie to come out next Christmas. Warren Beatty's starring. It should be a blockbuster!

Did you see the cover of Time magazine with Knizia on it?

I hope I make this years People's Hottest Game Designers list
-----

What is this acclaim you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hanna
Canada
flag msg tools
jmucchiello wrote:

What is this acclaim you speak of?

The invisible kind. The kind that you give to Knizia each time you say his name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.